Turn on thread page Beta

tonsillectomy diary watch

ReputationRep:
    well as title suggests, i will keep a tonsillectomy dairy for anyone interested (its more to stop me going crazy being stuck in bed all day, but mroe on that later)

ReputationRep:
    ....really? not being funny, but..whats so interesting about recovering from a tonsillectomy lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what it is, could you explain.?

ReputationRep:
    day 1 - surgery - come round from op with a paracetemol IV line, happy days :>, and was very groggy for most of the day, couldnt sleep tho, it was like a permamnent state of 'just-woken-up-ness' kinda cool tho. bad earache all day ( which would last until at least the day of writing this, day 4). could not sleep at all that night, constantly choking on own spit/phlegm, yet couldnt cough it up as throat was extremely raw.

day 2 - pain!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    A tonsillectomy isn't really that big of a deal, it's a minor surgery. I had mine out when I was 11. Plus, they gave me a free tub of icecream, inside a penguin-thingy! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    ooo i had mine out 2 years ago, but they left some tonsil behind lol

it's not a bad op, my advice is to make sure you get all your fave ice cream and bread in the house! oo and any cereal you like, i lived off cheerios after my op :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    ....really? not being funny, but..whats so interesting about recovering from a tonsillectomy lol

nothing except it gives me something to do. I have been in bed for four days now, so bored. not allowed out because of the high risk of infection. plus i am seriously overdosing on codeine right now and it seems a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    its more painful and risky as you get older, although admittedly i am only 22, they were still very anxious at the hospital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellatommo20)
    day 1 - surgery - come round from op with a paracetemol IV line, happy days :>, and was very groggy for most of the day, couldnt sleep tho, it was like a permamnent state of 'just-woken-up-ness' kinda cool tho. bad earache all day ( which would last until at least the day of writing this, day 4). could not sleep at all that night, constantly choking on own spit/phlegm, yet couldnt cough it up as throat was extremely raw.

day 2 - pain!

Put a warning on that image. Some people can get a bit squeamish.

ReputationRep:
    ok i see where this is going - but if u dont wanna read/look or whatever, then dont. but dont accuse me of 'spamming' this forum - just take a look at the 'latest' discussions to your right - how many of them are 'worthy' subcutaneous? and yes anonymous i agree, what is so interesting about how much weight a fat person has lost.

ReputationRep:
    I have tonsillitis at this present moment, and last night I got no sleep at all! it was killing!

having been to the doctors today for antibiotics, I have now found I'm allergic to them! as if things couldn't get worse.

ReputationRep:
    4th day -

still swallownig knives and have the worst earache ever, in both ears, since day 1. seriously overdosing on codeine and paracetemol, which takes some pain away from throat/ears but replaces it with a groggy, weak, sick feeling with stomach ache. eurgh

warning image may offend some people. But seriously, you only have to look, I own this throat
    Attached Images

4th day -

still swallownig knives and have the worst earache ever, in both ears, since day 1. seriously overdosing on codeine and paracetemol, which takes some pain away from throat/ears but replaces it with a groggy, weak, sick feeling with stomach ache. eurgh

warning image may offend some people. But seriously, you only have to look, I own this throat
    Lower right of the image, looks like you need fillings.. or to brush your teeth :/

ReputationRep:
    day 5 begins with a raging fire in my throat - CODEINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    well as title suggests, i will keep a tonsillectomy dairy for anyone interested (its more to stop me going crazy being stuck in bed all day, but mroe on that later)
    How many times had you had tonsillitis before they decided to remove them?

ReputationRep:
    OP I hope you are feeling better soon x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member101)
    How many times had you had tonsillitis before they decided to remove them?
    I used to get tonsillitis at least twice a year since i was 8-9. The last few years havent been quite so frequent, but when i DID get it it was severe. Went to docs earlier this year with a bad case of tonsillits and I asked if i could have them removed as goin to uni etc and cant afford to miss weeks of lectures etc being sick. He agreed and it went from there.

I must say that although it was serious (and very painful), I did 'ham up' my case a bit because i thought it was gonna be difficult to convince Dr for op. But Dr was cool and sent me for referal to ENT who promptly said I should have them out

No more tonsillitis OR horrible tonsil stones :eek: for me

would def reccommend op, if only for the codeine pills :woo: :eek3: :confused: :eek: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    OK lets try to keep this on topic.

If the op wants to talk about their experience have a tonsillectomy that is ok as it might be useful to those in the future who are worried about having one and do a search of H&R

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    It hurts like a ************.

Tonsil infections ebb and flow naturally and for people who have long terms tonsil trouble it can be horrific.

I had 5 years of recurring tonsilities before the surgeons finally yanked those godforsaken clumps of tissue from my throat.

plus why the negativity?

ReputationRep:
    Did you get your adenoids out too?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.