Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am thinking of taking Business Studies at A-level, but i don't really know that much about it. People have told me things, but it all seems rather contradictory!!

Is it really hard?? Do you have to be good at Maths etc??

Any help or info re this subject would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have done business studies but with the Scottish Qualification system but from what I have seen it is similar.

I doubt you will need to know much maths, the only maths I encountered was when we touched on accountancy and all you had to do was basic subtracting and adding which you use a calculator for!

At first I did struggle with the subject, I understood it all and had the knowledge but the part I struggled with was answering the questions, I found a lot of the questions were related to a case study and this had to be closely incorporated to the answers.

But it is a very useful subject just to at least have a background knowledge of. Hopefully someone who has done it at A Level will be able to clarify this for you too though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I only did AS but there was only a bit of maths involved. I suck at maths and managed fine - we only had to do percentages mainly. We were allowed a calculator too :tongue: It was the hardest out of all of my AS subjects IMO. I could never write a good essay in the time set, it was just ridiculous! :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Take economics instead if you can. I took business studies and it's pretty hard to get amazing grades yet it has a fairly bad reputation. Maths is not really required at all. If anything, the skill/quality which would help you most, is being able to write fast!

ReputationRep:
    Most of the maths is just the basics or simple stuff: adding,sunstracting,divinding multiplying, percentages, reading graphs and ratios. Nothing too hard.

I never did it at GCSE and didn't find it that hard really, some of the stuff is just common sense really.

Tips? Definately have a keen interest in the subject and read/watch around the subject. This will help because all your exams are case study based so you can relate stuff you've learnt to articles you read etc. Also make sure you get your exam technique right when you start the subject. There is a definate structure which is needed for all exam answers.

ReputationRep:
    Really easy maths and a great subject to learn as it can be used in any range of other subjects and the business sector is a huge employer so is good to get into.

Plus all of it is quite interesting and not too much knowledge base more analysis which is quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    It's REALLY easy. You have to be a moron to not understand the theories, it's so much common sense. The maths is simple, just remember some formulas and that's about it. I love it personally, but very few seem to share this view :p:

The main problems are:
    - you need to be a fast writer, as you're often pushed for time,
    - there is a large focus on exam technique (more so than any of my other lessons),
    - it's generally a 'less preferred subject'.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh. Wish I never took AS Business now. I did GCSE business studies, got an A in that so I thought I'd carry on seeing it was so easy.

WHAT DO I KNOW?! Hated every minute of AS Bus. Studies =/

I can't write fast, and I hate essays. I understand the theories but bloody hell, how am I supposed to write 15 marks worth of stuff for a little question? >_<

A-level business is considered a soft subject as well, god damnit. Complete waste of an as choice ¬_¬

[/rant]

To answer your question OP, no you don't need to be good at maths to do it. It's just basic calculations like percentages / percentage change, AND YOU CAN USE YOUR CALCULATOR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam92)
    It's REALLY easy. You have to be a moron to not understand the theories, it's so much common sense. The maths is simple, just remember some formulas and that's about it. I love it personally, but very few seem to share this view :p:

The main problems are:
    - there is a large focus on exam technique (more so than any of my other lessons),
    Agree with this totally, I do A-level business studies,

It is mainly common sense, learning a few theories, basic maths and exam technique

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    Urgh. Wish I never took AS Business now. I did GCSE business studies, got an A in that so I thought I'd carry on seeing it was so easy.

WHAT DO I KNOW?! Hated every minute of AS Bus. Studies =/

I can't write fast, and I hate essays. I understand the theories but bloody hell, how am I supposed to write 15 marks worth of stuff for a little question? >_<

A-level business is considered a soft subject as well, god damnit. Complete waste of an as choice ¬_¬

[/rant]

To answer your question OP, no you don't need to be good at maths to do it. It's just basic calculations like percentages / percentage change, AND YOU CAN USE YOUR CALCULATOR!
    Didn't you do AQA BS? Like 4/5 marks of them 15 was writing a small paragraph giving your opinion - I think they called it 'evaluation' :rolleyes::curious:

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you do AQA BS? Like 4/5 marks of them 15 was writing a small paragraph giving your opinion - I think they called it 'evaluation' :rolleyes::curious:
    AQA ********

Yes.

ReputationRep:

The main problems are:
    I second this. It is not that hard and the maths is really not difficult at all. I love it. Its probably my favourite subject.

ReputationRep:
    AS is easy to get an A, it is just application of knowledge, however, A2 is much harder. The work is simple, but the majority of the marks are for evaluation, so unless you are good at that, i doubt its a good idea.

Do economics, srsly.

I did Business studies and Economics and I found Business Studies easier than Economics. Both needed good exam technique which would get you the top marks. However I found that it was much easier to get higher marks in Business Studies than in Economics, since some sections weren't too solid and sometimes making some stuff up could get you quite far too :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I quite like Business Studies!

I did AQA GCSE and got an A, and then went to OCR for AS. The content is no more advanced really from GCSE, it is applying it a lot more. You need to be able to explain something briefly, but then analyse it to a certain case study or business. Then you have to think about further effects, both in the short and long terms. Finally, for a good conclusion, evaluate the points you make, and make a sound judgement on which is best. Add your own opinion, and there ya go

Also, read around the subject (newspapers) and listen out to your local news/regional news to see what's happening. It's good to discuss in class and widens your general business studies knowlege.

ReputationRep:
    i did business studies- aced the Jan exam- two marks away from full marks but don't know about this june one- pretty confident but dont wanna speak too soon

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I really need some urgent help, I need to submit my AS-Level Business Studies coursework next week and I am currently at a grade B/C, I want to get an AS-Level Grade A in Business Studies. These are the following modules which I need help in:

1) Unit 1 - Creating a Marketing proposal
    2) Unit 2 - Recruitment in the Workplace (HR)

Can someone upload their past or current coursework please, so I can have a look?

Can you also give me advice, tips, work, anything so that I can get a Grade A in both modules?

Much Appreciated
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.