Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    150 isn't that bad, 140 and above is considered high ? or am i wrong...

Weights probs not the best thing for your heart if i was in your place i'd do some running/cycling that sorta business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike101)
    I joined a gym today, i quit my last one 6 months ago and put 1.5 stone on since so need to do something.

But they took my blood pressure and the second number was really high, like 150, the first was in normal range.

It does run in my family though, the last time it was taken was last year during when i was fittest and it was still high then.

The manager is going to take it again next week before i get a program sorted.

Should i be worried?

Edit: Just though, i was, erm, aroused over the fit lass taking the reading. Could this have increased it.
    ....so..wait..your diastolic was 150 :eyeball:...sure you're still alive, are you SURE the first reading wasn't 150???? I asked my lecturer once and he told me that the diastolic cannot be higher than the systolic, so..i'm really hoping you're confused and this was the first number!

probably best to go to your doctor and get it checked, rather than rely on some people who work at a gym really, 150 could be a concern (if this was the first or second number) but like you said, you were aroused, could have been worried etc..but please clear up what the reading was, as the highest diastolic i've ever seen was 115, but 150?!

ReputationRep:
    probably best to go to your doctor and get it checked, rather than rely on some people who work at a gym really, 150 could be a concern (if this was the first or second number) but like you said, you were aroused, could have been worried etc..but please clear up what the reading was, as the highest diastolic i've ever seen was 115, but 150?!
    NB: Subcut is a first year student. Therefore, she will see a lot more BPs over her career. And she should know better, OP, that you cannot make a definitive diagnosis of any blood pressure disorder on a single reading, even though she implies it by "being a concern". You mention other factors such as being at the gym and having a fitty around so they could raise your BP.

Generally, it is v. unlikely for someone of your age to be hypertensive. Mention it to your GP next time you see him, or go and get it redone at the gym and note it down.

Chill, and have a good night.

ReputationRep:
    as the guy above said are you sure you read it the correct way around. i know a healthy person should be 120 / 80

with my mum having v high blood pressure of 200/110 which she takes tablets for. so i think u should see a doctor unless u got the numbers mixed up.

ReputationRep:
    very sexy girls would increase anybodies blood pressure so i wouldnt pay attention to that reading. it is worth checking it properly with an ugly old miserable GP (although you may get the same problem if you might like that sort of thing).

by all means do weight or cardio and kill yourself in the gym, goes you good. weights are also very good for the heart.

you cant change your genetics but you can minimise your cardiac risk factors. best way is to stop smoking as smoking is the biggest risk factor for heart disease.

i'm not too sure that you readings are high like you are saying, the lower number is the most important and you say that is normal. i think the GP is the best judge at this. i find it quite hard to do bp so i'm not going to even try to tell you what your readings would be classified as. what would be classified as normal pressures depends on their age, sex and build - so it is not clear cut. i'd see my GP if i were you just for peace of mind. HTH

edit: i may have repeated some people, i had a massive delay between writing and posting so apologies if repeated some ****.

ReputationRep:
    Should i be worried?
    It can't hurt to go to your doctor and get yourself checked out by a professional. Then if you do have a problem, then think about changing your lifestyle to keep it in check.

These are some of the ways of preventing hypertension:

-Reducing the amount you drink and/or smoke
    -Exercising more
    -Reducing saturated fat and salt intake
    -Maintain a healthy weight
    -Remove stressors

It is worth pointing out that adopting these very changes will improve your overall health and not just in respect to (potential) hypertension. It's worth doing even if you aren't doing so already and even if you're given the all clear.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i'll clear up the facts.

I had not eaten for 6 hours, i had drunk loads of water from the fountain at work in the hour before.

It was something like 151/147 which from reading up is worrying.

Last time it was 150/95 or something like that, that was last year when i attended the gym a lot more regularly.

Oh and i'm 19 if age makes a difference, dont smoke and rarely drink.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i'll clear up the facts.

I had not eaten for 6 hours, i had drunk loads of water from the fountain at work in the hour before.

It was something like 151/147 which from reading up is worrying.

Last time it was 150/95 or something like that, that was last year when i attended the gym a lot more regularly.

Oh and i'm 19 if age makes a difference, dont smoke and rarely drink.

book an appointment with your gp, get it checked properly, but keep these past readings in mind, 151/147, even if you were a bit worried or something is high, usually blood pressure goes up between 2-5% in those circumstances above the patients norm, but also try and not worry, it will send your blood pressure higher lol concentrate on getting it checked properly by a medical professional

ReputationRep:
    Meh if they did it at the gym i highly doubt they did it properly, there is a hell of a lot more to taking a BP then wacking a cuff on your arm. If you're really worried see your GP but personally i wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    i went to the nurse a few weeks ago and she said my blood pressure was at 138. she was abit concerned and told me to come back in a months time. 2nd time round was a male nurse who said i was fine but he didn't see to really care about anything at all.

my gran, my grandad, my uncle, my mum - it's probably going to be hereditary for me. i was at my uncles house where he had a blood pressure reader. it was at 155 but that was after a full meal so it was supposed to be inaccurate. still if everytime i eat my blood pressure rises to 150, must be a concern in the long term?

i feel fine - anyone can, but the higher the blood pressure the greater the chance / risk of something bad happening. i've heard if you're above 130 alot, they'd rather have you on something like tablets to prevent any future complications.

ReputationRep:
    Update

I'm not going to die, apparently,

my new reading today was 150/90, still slightly high but not too much, said it might have been a blip in the machine and his colleague should have checked it again.

ReputationRep:
    yea your hypertensive mate, im the same i generally get around 150/90 ish too. they put me on pills for it. you just have to take them every day and they dont affect anything really.

i got picked up at the gym too, except it was a well fit gym instructor taking it so it was like WELL high sort of 190/130 which got people concerned.

theyll put you through tests to see if theres something causing the hypertension and if they cant find something theyll just treat the hypertension.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.