Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys i am having a real problem deciding on what i should do! I have recently graduated from the Uni of Birmingham with a 2.1 in BSc Economics and have received an offer to do MSc International Business at Aston University.

The problem i am having is that whether it is worthwhile me doing this or that i should go into the workforce and possibly come back into education later.

Pros of doing the MSc International Business

1) Good course, also fairly interesting, at a good institution.
    2) May give me a slight advantage over other applicants (maybe even higher salaries) for jobs having a master? although thats not necessarily true.
    3) Another year to figure out what i really want to do! although this again is not a good reason to go into a masters course
    4) wait until the recession and its consequences on the job market decrease..although this may not be the case.
    5) take advantage of the connections/links Aston has with the business world.

Cons of doing the MSc International Business

1) Expensive, over £8000, although parents will help out..but still.
    2) The course is fairly broad just like my Bsc and again i may come out of it without a clue what to do after. Also already done economics so doing business on top might not really be that useful job wise.
    3) The level of exams, work, dissertation, independent work going to be HARD
    4) Going to have to commute back and forth..although i live farily local so shouldnt be too much of a problem
    5) Also there is no guarantee that at the end i will know what to do or indeed have a good job
    6) Also do i really want to go through all this work/study? should i just get a job?

LOL i hope that wasnt too detailed. As you can tell im pretty confused about everything. Thanks, any opinions/views will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    The most important question for me would be: are there any jobs available [that you want to do]?

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    What do you WANT to do? Which would you enjoy most?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, your post is pretty similar to mine an hour ago "Postgraduate management degree", although my first degree wasn't business related. I am also struggling with similar arguments. The fees for postgraduate are so much!

I kind of feel that with the economic situation as it is plus the fact there are so many graduates, as more people have gone to university that there might be a benefit of doing a postgraduate, however, more and more people are also doing postgraduate degrees, and I just don't knwo whether employers really think they make you more qualified or if more work experience would be better.

Sorry I know I haven't actually said anything useful in this post!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.