Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'd prefer only people attending uni atm to reply to this, to get a clear answer :P.
    I'm due to start uni in September, but if I'm 100% honest, I think I'm going more so for the 'Social life', rather than the course, although I will be committed to my course, I'm just looking forward to meeting new people..
    I'm 19 and working atm, but life's kinda' dull atm, and I think uni will change that (hope). I don't have lots of close friends, only a few, so my life is pretty boring atm.

So did uni lighten up life for you? In the sense that you got out more or made more friends/had a more active social life? Or did things pretty much stay the same?
    I've seen someone say that it's 'not like American Pie', which is pretty damn obvious, but I'd like to think I'm leaving my job (DWP) to have a decent 4 years out of work to live life a little, rather than be in the same situation, but with less money.

Sorry for the essay, thanks for reading .

ReputationRep:
    So did uni lighten up life for you?
    Yes and no i go out now more but the works harder - basically i spend very little time just sitting around

In the sense that you got out more or made more friends/had a more active social life? Or did things pretty much stay the same?
    Definatly went out more in 1st year (Atleast 3 times a week)

id say if you are going for the course aswell its worth it but i wouldnt get into the debt of most students just for the social side

ReputationRep:
    Uni is doing me wonders, it really is, but ultimately, keep this in mind:

It's what YOU make it. You have to go to it, not the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    i'd completely agree with the above post. If you sit around doing nothing, you're not going to get much out of the whole thing! I have tried to make the most of everything offered to me and have had an absolute ball thus far. I've learnt loads about my subjects and had a great time socially. The first few weeks might be as scary as hell, but once you come out the other side, you'll really, really enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    i have made the best friends of my life so far, and i feel i know them better after one year than i know my friends from secondary school, who i've known for 7 years. but chidona is right, you have to make it happen - admittedly, i didn't at first: having never set foot inside a club before i went to university, i gave it a go for the first time, and got scared ****less by some creep. didn't go out again for a long time, but i should have, and i do now! uni is absolutely amazing, because although the work is harder, if you've chosen your degree well, and you're doing something you really like, it won't matter

ReputationRep:
    Uni is a fresh start, so be who you want to be and get involved. My plan is to focus on the social side of student life for the first year (getting through course obviously) and make some good friends and memories.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.