Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm moving from Hong Kong to England, and I'll be doing my last two years at Richmond Upon Thames College.
    I'm doing either A-levels or IB, but it's more likely I'll be doing A-levels.
    My chosen subjects are...

English Language and Literature
    Government and Politics
    History - Modern European
    Law (which I'll probably drop in my second year)

In my previous school, I did the OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma), so I am transitioning to a totally different system, and am worried I may be at a disadvantage.

Any hints on how I can prepare for my chosen A-levels, and cope with them?

ReputationRep:
    I've been accepted at Richmond for 2009, though I'm unlikely to go there unless I move house - which is quite possible. With what I can tell from the OSSD you should be pretty prepared for studying your chosen subjects. As long as you are good at English you should be fine with those lessons as no real prior knowledge is needed for Government and Politics and Law - just a good grasp of the analytical and essay skills in English.

You might want to brush up on your European History - specifically Tsarist Russia and the revolution, Germany from the abdication of Kaiser Wilhem II and Britain from the industrial revolution. This will give you a good background knowledge for the beginning of that course.

Germany 1918-1945 a Study in Depth - useful for studying what students would usually do before A-Level with regards to germany.

I didn't actually do the other topics at GCSE so I don't have any textbooks to suggest.

If you'd like to brush up on your English too you could use the GCSE English AQA Anthology Complete Revision and Practice - It explains everything in a nice, simple (kind of condecending) tone. I would suggest first doing the practice paper at the back to find out where you're strong/weak and then revise where you need to most.

ReputationRep:
    Why the combination of English? English lit is more highly regarded.

ReputationRep:
    Watch the inbetweeners?

Relax. You barely need to prepare for A-Levels. You'll find them easier than you think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.