Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is after a crab for a 'pet' (as such) but we don't really know anything about them yet. What sort of things do they eat and are they expensive to keep? Any general info would be great too!

ReputationRep:
    Is he for real? I didnt know you could keep them as pets.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people have crabs...

ReputationRep:
    What type of crab? Marine, tropical, freshwater, hermit, or land hermit?

The different types require vastly different forms of care. They tend to be more popular in the states than over here.

ReputationRep:
    I have lots of pet crabs. They dont even need a cage, I carry them with me.

Internets it? find lots of stuff.. feed them bits of bacon? etc like you would if you go crabbing? easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    What type of crab? Marine, tropical, freshwater, hermit, or land hermit?

The different types require vastly different forms of care. They tend to be more popular in the states than over here.
    Some just need a spot of permethrin.

ReputationRep:
    Err they creep me out, I worry when I go in the sea that I may step on one..(although I would probably do more damage to them)..I don't know what they eat, plancton maybe? Although you would have to find alternatives if he is keeping one as a pet. Never known anyone to keep a crab

ReputationRep:
    they feed on human flesh, downstairs.

ReputationRep:
    As a pet ? No, but i have ate quite a few...

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a tropical crab. Cheap to keep if you already have an aquarium. Mine just used to eat frozen bloodworm, same as the toad.

OP, this site has information about keeping hermit crabs as pets, as well as some other useful information and links to other resources.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I used to have pet hermit crabs, they are realllyyy cute but they all died pretty quick. I'm not sure why, because I looked after them well enough. You can buy special hermit crab food from pet shops, and you need to put some calcium down in the tank aswell so they can have it when they need it. x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.