Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Long Distance Relationships (LDRs) ever workable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think? Do you think a couple can las t, who have little or no contact and seldomly see each other?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I've had two long-distance relationships, and they didn't work out, however that doesn't mean I don't remember them as good times.

I've had one close-distance relationship as well, which didn't work out either.

In my opinion, the distance really complicates things, and it makes a break-up more likely, but when people talk about long-distance relationships, they often forget that even close-distance relationships can be hard to manage, and many end up not working out either.

So yes, it can, but both parts need to be really serious about it. The toughest part of it, is the lack of physical contact, especially when others, close by, can give it to you, you start getting tempted, and that's bad.

However I'll say that the best relationship I ever had, was actually my second long-distance relationship, me and the girl are still good friends, and well, everything was (and still is) nice about it.

I have a friend though, from NL, who got into a relationship with a girl online, who lived in a whole other country than him (Canada), however, they seemed to be really happy with each others, and now she has moved to his country to finish her studies, they still seem to be really fond of each other.

So yes, yes it can.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it this way, ive got two friends who are in a relationship. They live in the same city and talk to each other 24/7 whether it be on phone/msn.....

So imagine if they lived miles apart :O

ReputationRep:
    I would prepared to give it a go no problem at all. But from my own personal experiences, it didn't work out, they just weren't willing to put the effort in. I found out I was in the minority but I think 95% of people, really only care about themselves so a LDR would complicate things for them. For that reason I would say in nearly all cases, no it isn't workable.

ReputationRep:
    do you know what?
    I'm dismayed at the attitudes shown here.

ReputationRep:
    I have tried but it didnt work out. I wont be going into an LDR again, I know that for sure.

ReputationRep:
    With little or no contact? I dont really think so...
    I know they can work. But thats with alot of texting / msning / calling / etc. So if by Little contact you mean none of those or you cant talk to them on a daily baisis, then i would say no it wont work.

On the other hand if you can always text or something then yeh they can work out fine

ReputationRep:
    I think they are

If you really want to be with someone and you love them then distance isn't an issue. Yeah it would be hard but you can still speak often and have video conversations etc.
    And if its always been a LDR then it would be easier to cope with..because you've never known any different.

I know of a couple of successful LDR's...my cousin lived in Edinburgh and his gf lived in Chicago...they're now married after being together for 4years...and my flatmate's bf lives in Canada and they've been together for about 3 years.

If your willing to make it work then it definitely can! and LDR's mean you can still spend lots of time with your friends and other people which I think is very important and friendships often get neglected when you live near to/ with your partner...

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, LDRs work if the relationship is strong enough. I know a few people whose haven't lasted... but all the people involved can admit that they don't think they'd have worked even if they'd been living next door to each other. People get afraid of getting into LDRs...letting it affect what they do and even things as important as their uni choices - one of my best friends went to John Moores instead of Manchester Uni just because she didn't think 'their relationship could last that distance' ... and then they broke up!

LDRs are hard, obviously... it's difficult knowing that the person you most want to see is hundreds of miles away, but if it's worth it then while you're apart... phone calls, letters and emails will become enough.

ReputationRep:
    Some people can cope with the distance, some can't. In the beginning, it sounds entirely feasible but as time goes on it gets less and less realistic for most.

ReputationRep:
    They can work, but require alot of work.

There needs to be alot of trust and understanding between both of you and it really helps if theres a set 'end date' to the distance, so like you can both know that after X time you'll be moving in together etc.

Personally I've had 2 long distance relationships in the past, only 1 of them did we break up because of the distance (amongst other things).

Basically, you wont know untill you try. As others have said, some people can handle the distance and some just cant.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on two things:

1) Whether or not both sides of the relationship are serious about it, and can handle the distance and will be able to for as long as it needs to be.

2) How far away the distance is, I've seen relationships work from Scotland to England for months but like half-way across the world wouldn't be viable.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. So long as you've got a goal of closing the distance in the very near future then i don't see why not.

My g/f lives an hour up the road. It makes it difficult to organise time together, but we do try and have at least 1 full day a week together... and if that includes an afternoon and the following morning so much the better!!!
    We do speak on MSN nightly though, which is nice save for the internet constantly dropping out.

Personally, whilst I consider it a LDR at the moment, we both know by the end of the year it wont be so it's not really an issue at the moment.
    I just find myself counting down the days until thursdays come along for now!
    -JC.

ReputationRep:
    They can work. Granted, mine didn't. But that was because we were struggling to find time and I didn't like that. I still wonder whether or not it could've worked.
    My mate's girlfriend lives in Hong Kong. They've spent two years like that and have seen each other three times since she left. But they talk whenever they can and are still going strong.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.