Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really really wanna come to b'ham uni to study economics!
    all of those who have done it/currently doing it, what were your subjects, grades and EXTRA curricular activities?
    Please reply ASAP
    THANKYOU SO so SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Economics with Japanese at the moment, though I suspect I got in because apart from me theres only one other person doing my course.

For A-level I took Business Studies, Economics and Mathmatics, getting A,B and C respectively. Although they say you don't need maths, it helps alot. Can't remember what I put down as extra curricular now, but I put down Piano and Badminton, and an interest in languages.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    how about if your involved in any societies?

ReputationRep:
    pity bump*

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I just got accepted to do Econ yesterday
    I got AAB in French, Economics, and Biology in that order.
    Extra curricular activities included music (guitar) and football.
    I cant wait

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sladey91)
    Hey. I just got accepted to do Econ yesterday
    I got AAB in French, Economics, and Biology in that order.
    Extra curricular activities included music (guitar) and football.
    I cant wait
    only music and football?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to those who got in!

ReputationRep:
    anyone read any books before they got in? What books did you put on your PS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    anyone read any books before they got in? What books did you put on your PS?
    I didn't do a lot of reading before going to uni, just read a couple of Paul Krugman book, and I had a subscription from The Economist. If you really want to get an insight of first year stuff, you can have a look at one of the first year core books, "Economics" by John Sloman.

Also, try to master your numerical skills whilst at college, as it will help you a lot in your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thyssen1207)
    I didn't do a lot of reading before going to uni, just read a couple of Paul Krugman book, and I had a subscription from The Economist. If you really want to get an insight of first year stuff, you can have a look at one of the first year core books, "Economics" by John Sloman.

Also, try to master your numerical skills whilst at college, as it will help you a lot in your course.

Thanks! What year are you in if you don't mind me asking? And what AS/A-levels did you do and what did you get? How are you finding the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    Thanks! What year are you in if you don't mind me asking? And what AS/A-levels did you do and what did you get? How are you finding the course?
    I've just finished my 2nd year and I am starting my 3rd year this coming October. I did A-level Maths, Politics, Economics and AS Chemistry, achieving AAAb respectively.

First year is fairly light, mostly introductory stuff, and you don't get a lot of work in the form assessed essays and problem sets. Workload and the difficulty of material in second year, however, significantly increases. Again, strong numerical skills will be advantageous, as the second year stuff involves heavy maths. Otherwise, the course is organised fairly well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thyssen1207)
    I've just finished my 2nd year and I am starting my 3rd year this coming October. I did A-level Maths, Politics, Economics and AS Chemistry, achieving AAAb respectively.

First year is fairly light, mostly introductory stuff, and you don't get a lot of work in the form assessed essays and problem sets. Workload and the difficulty of material in second year, however, significantly increases. Again, strong numerical skills will be advantageous, as the second year stuff involves heavy maths. Otherwise, the course is organised fairly well.
    Thanks for help!
    Repped you even though my repping power is 0...

ReputationRep:
    eco @ bham! yayy!

ReputationRep:
    offers?

ReputationRep:
    bump*

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing pure Economics (first year). Got ABB at A level (Physics, Maths, Chemistry). Depending on whether you do Maths at A level, you'll do either Advanced Quantitative Methods or just Quantitative Methods. Advanced basically builds on stuff from A level and all the core content is revised before the lecturer explains anything new, but it helps if you have a sound understanding because then you don't have to do much work(so far!). Also there's another maths-based module which is basically A level Statistics.

In my personal statement, I didn't really have much for extra-curricular activities. I just mentioned what interests me about Economics (considering I did maths/science subjects at A level), but surprisingly I got an offer within 4 days of sending off the application (might have been the predicted grades which were AAA :P).

I didn't do any reading before coming here, but the Sloman book is the main textbook so if you can get your hands on that I suppose you'll have a headstart. The course itself - from someone who has never studied Economics before - is very interesting. Most of the lecturers are great and you can sense the passion they have for the subject, so I find that is a great motivating factor.

Are you currently studying Economics? If you are, I think you'll breeze through most of the first term (from what I've heard from other people).

Sorry but that's all the experience I've got, having only been here for 2 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd123)
    Are you currently studying Economics? If you are, I think you'll breeze through most of the first term (from what I've heard from other people).
    Yes, 1st year is blur. It was pretty much laidback.

The bulk of work is in 2nd year. In 3rd year, you are pretty much left to your devices, with graduate job / postgraduate applications and extended essay deadlines competing for your time.

(I'm in my 3rd year now).

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer the other day to do Eco at b.ham

For AS i did: Maths (a), Eco (a), German(a), Gov&Pol(a), Critical thinking (b), Punjabi (c)

and predited: Maths (A*), Eco (A*), German (A*) and further maths AS (a)

erm books: Indian Economy since independence, the truth about markets, freakonomics, the armchair economist and the undercover economist

Extra curric: footy, hockey, cricket team captain... duke of ed silver ... young consumer of the year and a lot more

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.