Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in a bit of dilemma as to whether I should apply to King's College London or the University of Surrey.

I'm interested in Molecular Genetics @ King's
    and (if I change my aim from biosciences to computing) Computer Science.

I have recently become interested by Chemical and Bio-Systems Engineering @ Surrey
    and (if I change my aim) Electronics and Computer Engineering.

OK so in terms of reputation, King's probably beats Surrey (I mean Surrey was a polytechnic - come ooon...). Also in general rankings, King's is 12th and Surrey is 37th (Times Good Uni Guide).

However, in terms of subject-specific rankings:
    King's (Biological Sciences): 25th
    Surrey (Chemical Engineering): 4th (!)
    If you think I should compare them in the same category as Biological Sciences then even there Surrey is 7th.

And King's (Computer Science): 31st
    Surrey (Electronic Engineering): 4th (!)
    If you think I should compare them in the same category as Computer Science then even there Surrey is 11 places ahead of King's. In Electro Engineering King's was so bad the entire department is being shut down!!

Now I don't place much weight on rankings but clearly Surrey is performing waaay better in the criteria they use to rank the unis.

Moreover, if you get AAB or above at A Level, Surrey will give you a GUARANTEED £1000 scholarship A YEAR and DOUBLE the Bursary amount for which you are eligible, up to £4000!! This makes it one of THE most generous financial packages, and kicks King's pathetic £1350.

Am I misguided in considering Surrey over King's just for those reasons (the courses seem equally OK)?

Sorry for the length and plethora of figures!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, this isn't a question.
    You have already made a decision: Surrey.

ReputationRep:
    It seems you've made your decision and wish to apply to Surrey. In addition to that, your stats look pretty good and you're likely to get offer from some of your top choices anyway, making your last choice university less important (assuming this is your last choice uni) since it's unlikely that it'll be your firm/insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Look at student satisfaction and the graduate prospects to aid your decision - but as the others have said, it sounds like you've already made a decision. The fact that they're performing well and offer generous financial aid are certainly valid reasons for choosing a university. But where did you feel best - they'll both have different atmospheres? And which had the best resources and facilities? If they have high graduate employment, what were they often employed in? If you haven't already do look at the course content in extra detail - each module individually - it may help distinguish the courses? That probably wasn't much help really, but may give you things to think about

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any faith in league tables, both general and subject. If you genuinelly aren't sure then visit both and see which one you prefer. Bursaries and league tables can be factors, but don't make them your deciding ones. Make sure you visit and get prospectuses to see which uni you get a "vibe" from.

ReputationRep:
    Go to King's . It has a better reputation overall and it has links with some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Where's surrey in the international rankings?
    King's is 22nd (was 24th) , surrey is 223rd (was 190th)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Location. Atmosphere. Course content. These are three very important things which you should thoroughly look into and think about in choosing which university to apply for. Don’t apply for a university based on some newspaper league table since it means nothing in the grand scheme of things; to be honest, they’re useless and shouldn’t be bothered with.

Also, as you’ve already mentioned, the financial benefit of each university. From the looks of things, at Surrey you’ll have a much easier time money-wise than you would at King’s.

Once you’ve looked into the important things in choosing a university and course (since the courses are quite different at each!), you’ll be able to assess how much of an important factor the scholarship/bursary should play in your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntoineUK)
    Go to King's . It has a better reputation overall and it has links with some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Where's surrey in the international rankings?
    King's is 22nd (was 24th) , surrey is 223rd (was 190th)
    Urgh, the only thing more stupid than the British league tables are the international league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Go visit them both (if you can) and see which you prefer, you may end up despising one and falling in love with another, which may help your decision slightly as both universities sound like they'll gove you good prospects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.