Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will you ever want kids, yay or nay? Watch

• View Poll Results: Any plans for kids/to settle down?
    I'm in a serious relationship and hope to settle down soon after Uni
    16.25%
    I'm in a serious relationship with no plans of settling down
    3.75%
    I want to stay free of responsibilites for as long as possible
    13.75%
    I'm in a serious relationship and hope to settle down in about 15/20 years time
    6.88%
    I want to settle down soon but am not in a relationship
    6.88%
    I want to settle down in the distant future but am not in a relationship
    46.88%
    I'm not sure to be honest
    5.63%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morg)
    i definatly want kids, but i want to be able to support them financially.. so i'm sure it will be a good 10-15 years before it happens
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    Please, I implore you. Don't have an only child, believe me they will miss out on so much and feel so lonely so many times. It will shape who they are, but not in a positive way.
    I am an only child and haven't felt that it has affected me negatively, yes it is lonely sometimes but people feel that way even with siblings.

Some only children will have poor childhoods just like some children with siblings will have poor childhoods, to me it depends on the child and the parents.

(If I sound like a total *****...I apologize, I don't mean to sound like one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    Well first off there's the back pain, swollen ankles, mood swings, morning sickness, loss of bladder control..... then you've got several hours of agonising pain as it tries to force its way out of your body, possibly breaking bones, requiring your vajayjay to have an incision and random pooing as you push for dear life, all happening in the process. Next you have the crappy nappies, constant wailing and no sleep. Then the tantrums, "I want this"-ing, "It's not fair, you suck"-ing, rule breaking, you making sure they don't die of alcohol abuse/ get kidnapped/ making sure they're safe by wanting to know where they are and setting times to be home by, to the responce "That's not fair, you're so embarassing, you don't understand me". Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of pounds you have to spend to feed/ clothe/ house/ buy games consoles for/ buy holidays for, etc until they hit about 21.... then they don't want to see you again and put you in a care home......

Wonderous creatures
    Aren't you a bundle of joy?

But they are so cool :woo:
    (I have toddler siblings so am entitled to comment )

ReputationRep:
    I really really really want kids. But after I've pulled off all my financial stunts that could make or break me.

ReputationRep:
    i want to have kids as soon as i get married which is as soon as i have a job which will be straight after i graduate from uni =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckiemort)
    I am an only child and haven't felt that it has affected me negatively, yes it is lonely sometimes but people feel that way even with siblings.

Some only children will have poor childhoods just like some children with siblings will have poor childhoods, to me it depends on the child and the parents.

fair enough But why bother though, it's not that much trouble for the parent, but it means the child will have a friend when growing up, and at least experience with other children, and they will have someone left when they're older and parents are gone. Also, their children will have aunts/uncles.

EDIT: You don't sound like a ***** at all. Just v sensible and polite in my opinion. Also a fellow only

ReputationRep:
    I will never, ever, ever want to lay spawn.

I don't think being related to me will be the safest option in the future

So no.

ReputationRep:
    Please, I implore you. Don't have an only child, believe me they will miss out on so much and feel so lonely so many times. It will shape who they are, but not in a positive way.
    I can't tell whether you're writing that from the POV of being an only child yourself, or if you've decided that only children have lesser childhoods/personalities than children with siblings. I'm an only child and certainly don't feel disadvantaged for being one.

In response to the OT: Although I don't especially like children, I know that if I don't have any, I'd feel like I hadn't made the most of my life. But I wouldn't have children without being in a committed long term relationship, because I don't like children enough to go it alone ... if you see what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cannyeinstein)
    Aren't you a bundle of joy?

But they are so cool :woo:
    (I have toddler siblings so am entitled to comment )
    Mearly stating the truth :p: As both an aunt and a gymnastics coach to several midgits I can quite safely say it really is not for me at all. A few hours a day are tiring enough, let alone 24/7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Dust)
    I can't tell whether you're writing that from the POV of being an only child yourself, or if you've decided that only children have lesser childhoods/personalities than children with siblings. I'm an only child and certainly don't feel disadvantaged for being one.

In response to the OT: Although I don't especially like children, I know that if I don't have any, I'd feel like I hadn't made the most of my life. But I wouldn't have children without being in a committed long term relationship, because I don't like children enough to go it alone ... if you see what I mean.
    Only child myself

EDIT: I certainly do not think that onlys have 'lesser personalities'
    fair enough But why bother though, it's not that much trouble for the parent, but it means the child will have a friend when growing up, and at least experience with other children, and they will have someone left when they're older and parents are gone. Also, their children will have aunts/uncles.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say settle down in 15 years with kids and all that, I'm 20 now and have been with my boyfriend for over 8 months.

Prefer to live my life for me before I settle down
    So I can be as happy as possible and be a good parent.

Ya

ReputationRep:
    Only child myself

EDIT: I certainly do not think that onlys have 'lesser personalities'
    I'm not sure why I added the 'personalities' bit :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckiemort)

I have 2 brothers and a 2 year old sister, and live with both my parents. I still feel lonely in my family.

PS. You sound quite sensible, actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Dust)
    I'm not sure why I added the 'personalities' bit :p:
    hehe, no worries :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I might want kids at some point. It's a pity I won't be able to have any. I am in a relationship and wouldn't want to settle down soon as I'm still very young, but I think that if this relationship lasts (which in all honesty I think it has a very good chance of doing, I can see being with my boyfriend for the rest of my life, it's difficult to explain though) I probably will settle down fairly young, quite soon after university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafsaay)
    I have 2 brothers and a 2 year old sister, and live with both my parents. I still feel lonely in my family.

PS. You sound quite sensible, actually
    When people are older, having siblings will be more of an important thing, as most adult siblings get on and benefit greatly from having someone so close. Also, I think the more people in the family, the better, as it means more people to look out for you, and be there when life treats you badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obsessivex)
    I might want kids at some point. It's a pity I won't be able to have any. I am in a relationship and wouldn't want to settle down soon as I'm still very young, but I think that if this relationship lasts (which in all honesty I think it has a very good chance of doing, I can see being with my boyfriend for the rest of my life, it's difficult to explain though) I probably will settle down fairly young, quite soon after university.
    How come you won't be able to have any?
    I come from leicester, and I miss it so much!

ReputationRep:
    How come you won't be able to have any?
    Homosexual. Obviously there are ways of having children but it's nowhere near as simple and my boyfriend wouldn't want to do any of the artificial biological ways (there's a better way to describe them but I'm very tired) due to religious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obsessivex)
    Homosexual. Obviously there are ways of having children but it's nowhere near as simple and my boyfriend wouldn't want to do any of the artificial biological ways (there's a better way to describe them but I'm very tired) due to religious reasons.
    can't you adopt?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.