Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will you ever want kids, yay or nay? Watch

• View Poll Results: Any plans for kids/to settle down?
    I'm in a serious relationship and hope to settle down soon after Uni
    16.25%
    I'm in a serious relationship with no plans of settling down
    3.75%
    I want to stay free of responsibilites for as long as possible
    13.75%
    I'm in a serious relationship and hope to settle down in about 15/20 years time
    6.88%
    I want to settle down soon but am not in a relationship
    6.88%
    I want to settle down in the distant future but am not in a relationship
    46.88%
    I'm not sure to be honest
    5.63%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    In 10 years I'll be 28, so maybe. I go through stages of wanting kids, then not. But ultimately I'd like some little mini Amys running around
    Exactly this ^

ReputationRep:
    You didn't give an option for "I am in a serious relationship and I want to settle down and not have kids. Ever!!!". I want to settle down now, house, money, proper job will hopefully come however unlikely it's looking at the moment But no, definitely no kids. Jelephant summed up my thoughts quite nicely!

(Original post by Jelephant)
    Well first off there's the back pain, swollen ankles, mood swings, morning sickness, loss of bladder control..... then you've got several hours of agonising pain as it tries to force its way out of your body, possibly breaking bones, requiring your vajayjay to have an incision and random pooing as you push for dear life, all happening in the process. Next you have the crappy nappies, constant wailing and no sleep. Then the tantrums, "I want this"-ing, "It's not fair, you suck"-ing, rule breaking, you making sure they don't die of alcohol abuse/ get kidnapped/ making sure they're safe by wanting to know where they are and setting times to be home by, to the responce "That's not fair, you're so embarassing, you don't understand me". Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of pounds you have to spend to feed/ clothe/ house/ buy games consoles for/ buy holidays for, etc until they hit about 21.... then they don't want to see you again and put you in a care home......

Wonderous creatures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    Well first off there's the back pain, swollen ankles, mood swings, morning sickness, loss of bladder control..... then you've got several hours of agonising pain as it tries to force its way out of your body, possibly breaking bones, requiring your vajayjay to have an incision and random pooing as you push for dear life, all happening in the process. Next you have the crappy nappies, constant wailing and no sleep.
    enter epidural or C-section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sprite_fright)
    enter epidural or C-section
    I don't think I'd be allowed have a C-section (unnecessary surgery) unless it had to be done (diabetic!) and I've heard people say that sometimes an epidural is completely useless. Can they just give you a C section if you want one anyway? If you're not in a private hospital?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. Probably within the next 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    I don't think I'd be allowed have a C-section (unnecessary surgery) unless it had to be done (diabetic!) and I've heard people say that sometimes an epidural is completely useless. Can they just give you a C section if you want one anyway? If you're not in a private hospital?
    Much to the disgust of many people, a lot of private patients do request a C-section rather than go through the birth, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I really want kids, after I've 'made it' in the world - I wouldn't have kids unless I could give them a great life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    I think they can give u a C-sec wherever u are if u request for one... I've never had a baby so im not sure but i don't see why not. It's a womans choice on how she delivers right?
    epidurals aren't always compeltely useless, that must only be a couple of people who have one with no effects. Failing that, laughing gas and oxygen! get high on the birth day (with the laughing gas, not pot or anything).

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, I like being young and free without any responsibilities and the thought of settling down makes me shudder. And if I were to ever have kids I'd rather have them by the age of 30. I don't want to be taking care of a teenager when I'm nearing sixty. I'm a month from turning 22, however, and never been in a relationship so it's not like I find that thought very realistic at the moment. I'd also rather adopt than have my own biological children. A couple of reasons: I don't want to be pregnant (this is for completely selfish reasons). Besides there's way too many kids abandoned/not wanted by their parents in need of a loving home. A child would not have to be biologically mine for me to love it like my own. And I don't want to take part in overpopulating the planet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabethbridge)
    The thing is, I like being young and free without any responsibilities and the thought of settling down makes me shudder. And if I were to ever have kids I'd rather have them by the age of 30. I don't want to be taking care of a teenager when I'm nearing sixty. I'm a month from turning 22, however, and never been in a relationship so it's not like I find that thought very realistic at the moment. I'd also rather adopt than have my own biological children. A couple of reasons: I don't want to be pregnant (this is for completely selfish reasons). Besides there's way too many kids abandoned/not wanted by their parents in need of a loving home. A child would not have to be biologically mine for me to love it like my own. And I don't want to take part in overpopulating the planet.
    That's a really unique way of looking at things, and really lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    This is totally random, but I don't suppose you know an Oscar Peake?
    I don't know him personally, we're in different years, but I know of him.

ReputationRep:
    I want kids when I'm 26ish.

ReputationRep:
    I hope to adopt in the future when I'm financially comfortable (and more mature).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, when they find a new way to get them out.

ReputationRep:
    YAY! but not before i'm in my late 20s/early 30s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    Yes, when they find a new way to get them out.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    :laugh:
    I'm serious! I'm convinced that there was a fatal error in the drafting process when women were made, because that is most definately not meant to come out of there

ReputationRep:
    I would love to have kids but I haven't even thought about uni yet! And I'm in a serious relationship atm, but who knows what will happen at uni?

ReputationRep:
    lol i pick out baby names when i am bored and waiting for something. i do want to have a substantial sized family as i grew up in one,however i think there are so many selfish people out there having children when they can hardly support themselves. i wonder about these really young mothers and by no means i dnt want to offend anyone i jst thought id take the opportunity to vent. also and again no offence (as my dad is also one) but i think its a little selfish to only have one child (obviously there are exceptions) but i jst believe that its harder being an only child specially when ur young.....but idk.:o: :eek3: :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.