Turn on thread page Beta

Would you have a relationship if.. watch

ReputationRep:
    This is a tough question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyx)
    Would you have a relationship with a person if you really liked another person more?

Eg. The person you really want already has a partner. There is someone else you also have feelings for, but not nearly as strong. Would you wait around for the person you really want to become available or would you have a relationship with the next best thing at the time, or just wait around for person C

Or for example, you and a partner break up, you still have feelings for them but find someone else you also like. Would you wait til you stopped having feelings fo the ex before getting in a relationship with the new person?

Is it fair to have a relationship with someone if you have more feelings for someone else?
    really not sure about the first part, it depends far far too much on the whole situation.

but i definately wouldnt get into a relationship while i had feelings for my ex

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question, I've always wondered what people would do..

If Guy A had a partner, then yeah I'd go out with Guy B even if I liked him somewhat less at the time. It's pointless waiting around on the off chance guy A will break up and get with you. Anyway as someone said I'd probably grow to like Guy B more anyway and get over the initial person. It becomes trickier if guy A and B are friends though..
    For the other situation, if I still had feelings for my ex, then I wouldn't just get with someone else. I'd want to be stable and fine single and by myself without my ex, before getting into a new relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue.China)
    Interesting question, I've always wondered what people would do..

If Guy A had a partner, then yeah I'd go out with Guy B even if I liked him somewhat less at the time. It's pointless waiting around on the off chance guy A will break up and get with you. Anyway as someone said I'd probably grow to like Guy B more anyway and get over the initial person. It becomes trickier if guy A and B are friends though..
    For the other situation, if I still had feelings for my ex, then I wouldn't just get with someone else. I'd want to be stable and fine single and by myself without my ex, before getting into a new relationship.
    I suppose thats fair. But i think about it in the way that i would hate it if i was wit a guy and he had more feelings for someone else he knew and i was just 2nd best in his eyes. I wouldn't like to be in a relationship if he liked someone else more. But you will never know :-(

But if you would wait til ur over your ex to enter a new relationship, wouldn't you wait til u were over the first person (in first scenario) to get in the relationship with the one you liked less? Its pretty much the same jist, going out with someone when you like someone else more

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to say that my answer is no, but based on my actions in the past, the answer is yes, I would have a relationship with someone when I had stronger feelings for someone else. Sometimes you realise that you can't wait around for someone forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Dust)
    I'd like to say that my answer is no, but based on my actions in the past, the answer is yes, I would have a relationship with someone when I had stronger feelings for someone else. Sometimes you realise that you can't wait around for someone forever.
    I would hate to be on the recieving end. With a guy who really had more feelings for another girl

ReputationRep:
    I would hate to be on the recieving end. With a guy who really had more feelings for another girl
    Fair point - I'd also hate to be on the receiving end of it. But if your feelings for one person really aren't going any where, and there's no chance of the two of you getting together, you could be missing out on so many chances with other people by putting their feelings ahead of your own.

That makes me sound really selfish, I know :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Fair point - I'd also hate to be on the receiving end of it. But if your feelings for one person really aren't going any where, and there's no chance of the two of you getting together, you could be missing out on so many chances with other people by putting their feelings ahead of your own.

That makes me sound really selfish, I know :rolleyes:
    But if people would get over their ex before getting in a new relationship, wouldn't they wait til they are over someone who they wern't ever with before going out with someone else. Its the same concept, so i dont get why the answer would be different.

Its not selfish really. Its logical to try and move on if whoever you like isn't viable, but i think people should always get over who ever else they like before actually being in a relationship

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think I could.

ReputationRep:
    But if people would get over their ex before getting in a new relationship, wouldn't they wait til they are over someone who they wern't ever with before going out with someone else. Its the same concept, so i dont get why the answer would be different.

Its not selfish really. Its logical to try and move on if whoever you like isn't viable, but i think people should always get over who ever else they like before actually being in a relationship
    It is the same concept in a sense, but somehow it's different - it's probably easier to get over an ex (providing that when you split up you don't see each other any more) than to get over someone you've never been with, because with the latter situation you've never had any actual closure. So how can you tell for sure when you're actually 'over' that person?

In an ideal world, everyone would only have feelings for the person they're with, but eh, life isn't as fun and simple as that!

ReputationRep:
    Nope. and if the girl a liked, but not as much as the other asked me, and i really wanted a relationship with her, I would sit down and explain that I just need time.

ReputationRep:
    It is the same concept in a sense, but somehow it's different - it's probably easier to get over an ex (providing that when you split up you don't see each other any more) than to get over someone you've never been with, because with the latter situation you've never had any actual closure. So how can you tell for sure when you're actually 'over' that person?

In an ideal world, everyone would only have feelings for the person they're with, but eh, life isn't as fun and simple as that!
    I hope it doesn't happen alot. Imagine being with someone for like 6 months or so and you realise you love them and think ur the only one for them too, yet secretly he had more feelings for another girl he knows, maybe one of his friends or something. AH this is making me paranoid lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitly.

ReputationRep:
    If the guy I like is taken then yeah, I'd go with the other guy that I have feelings for.
    I've waited around long enough for guys to know that sometimes its best to cut your losses and move on.

ReputationRep:
    No, but 9 out of 10 times it doesn't work out for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co_co_vogue)
    Yeah definitly.
    No definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Because I would rather have to get over someone and move on than wait around forever for someone who may never be available. I think finding someone else really helps to get over people and it doesn't mean you don't love and care for them. If I found that I couldn't concentrate on my relationship due to thinking of someone else, then I would have to admit that I don't like them enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Yes. Because I would rather have to get over someone and move on than wait around forever for someone who may never be available. I think finding someone else really helps to get over people and it doesn't mean you don't love and care for them. If I found that I couldn't concentrate on my relationship due to thinking of someone else, then I would have to admit that I don't like them enough.
    You get over people in time though, wouldn't you wait til u got over the first person before a relationship with someone else?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it helps you get over someone so much quicker and easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Intentions)
    No definitely.
    Im in your sig

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.