Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you have a relationship if.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't have a relationship with someone unless saying no/not doing it didn't even enter my head. If I'd consider not bothering, it isn't the right person. In other words, I wouldn't get into a relationship just for the sake of it/because there's no-one better around/out of boredom/because they asked and I think I might like them a bit (not that I never have in the past). In my experience these almost always fail. Also, I'm really not the relationship type.

To sum up, no.

ReputationRep:
    If the chick i like wer hanging with some dude .. i'd murder the dude and whoever else gets in our way. intervening *******

ReputationRep:
    If they don't find out then yeah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyx)
    Because even if the person was already taken, some would say its not fair to be with someone if you have more feelings for someone else
    It's not really fair on that person though if you're just 'settling' for them. I'd hate to be that person myself so I couldn't do it to someone else. I'd try and get over the other person first.

ReputationRep:
    No. I'd never be happy settling for second best.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You don't always know how much you're going to love someone at the start of a relationship, so it'd be better to try a relationship with the guy I liked and see where it goes.

To be honest, I'd probably tell this other guy the truth and let him make the decision if he still wants me or not. It'd have to be the guy I liked less putting pressure on me to go out with him though, I don't think I would ever have the strength (?) to turn away from a guy I really like on my own without that pressure.

ReputationRep:
    You get over people in time though, wouldn't you wait til u got over the first person before a relationship with someone else?
    If you will get over the person in time eventually anyway, why risk another opportunity for love getting away? What if the guy you kinda like is broken by your rejection?

ReputationRep:
    No. I wouldn't want to be in a relationship that I'd perceive to be the next best thing.

ReputationRep:
    You get over people in time though, wouldn't you wait til u got over the first person before a relationship with someone else?
    Probably not. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't jump into any relationship but if I found someone who I did want to be with I wouldn't let my feelings for the first person stop me. I just don't think it should, you could miss opportunities and be no better off by waiting around.

Saying this though, I am the type of person who will fall easily for someone if they are right for me. Doesn't take me long, perhaps I'd think differently if I didn't. Also I tend to get over people who don'tlike me back/aren't available fairly easy. I had to do that with 3 people already so :dontknow: I suppose everyone has their reasons

ReputationRep:
    As you have seen from other replies, it all comes down to your attitude.

You are surely aware that feelings need to grow and they need to be nurtured, and also that if something is out of reach it doubles your longing.

So.. you may find that if you give the person who you have less strong feelings for a chance, you will fall in love with them and you'll be able to forget the person you had very strong feelings for but couldn't have. If you wait around to properly forget this latter person however, you might pass up the first person and a potentially wonderful relationship. So I suggest that you give this first person and you a chance, nothing too serious at first, just be honest with yourself and with them, and you should see how the land lies feelings-wise very soon and you decide then.

ReputationRep:
    No, because it wouldn't be fair on that person or on myself.

ReputationRep:
    settling for the next best thing...

ReputationRep:
    wtf, why did someone neg me? i didn't neg anyone

ReputationRep:
    as much as you can say the answer should be no...i'm gonna say yes.

well. i know that i get on with/have a much better relationship with my bf above anyone else that i know, but it doesnt stop me wondering what it would be like going out with one of my other friends. hmm...ok i dunno.

As much as I'd like to say no, I did something like this before. And I got to say, it ****** me up reallllll good

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Which is why until very recently I'd submitted to the idea of being single.

ReputationRep:
    no.. because my life does not depend on having a significant other at any given moment

ReputationRep:
    No. What if the girl you went out with found out she was only your second best option?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.