Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How does this work?

Do they provide a phone?

Is it in each room?

Regular billing or no?

thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni...I've heard they do in some, I'd ask in the forum specific to the uni you're going to.

In Leeds they def don't .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    How does this work?

Do they provide a phone?

Is it in each room?

Regular billing or no?

thanks xx
    Obviously depends on where you go to Uni....:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    For Edinburgh we have a direct dial 0131 number where we can receive calls for free, we can also call other student phones for free too. If you want to call other numbers you need to buy credit. Best telling us which uni it is as they are all different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Depends on the university, but I imagine that most don't have phones in every room. Some places have phones per floor/block with you can pay to use.
    This. There may be some but generally uni accommodation phones will cost a lot to use.
    I know this idea is a bit out there, but have you considered getting a mobile?

ReputationRep:
    We don't have phones, and I doubt many places do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    This. There may be some but generally uni accommodation phones will cost a lot to use.
    I know this idea is a bit out there, but have you considered getting a mobile?
    What is this mobile you speak of?

ReputationRep:
    Non at all at Warwick, appart from a very few pay phones. Dont you have a mobile anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    For Edinburgh we have a direct dial 0131 number where we can receive calls for free, we can also call other student phones for free too. If you want to call other numbers you need to buy credit. Best telling us which uni it is as they are all different.
    This is what I'll get at Portsmouth, too.

I doubt I'll really use it though. I've got my mobile contract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    This is what I'll get at Portsmouth, too.

I doubt I'll really use it though. I've got my mobile contract
    Yeh same I've got minutes on my mobile so will probably never use it either.

ReputationRep:
    When I was in halls, phones were theoretically included in our internet connection fee, but in practice they never worked. Everyone just uses their mobile anyway.

At Nottingham we got given a phone in our rooms in Catered accommodation. The phones were free to other phones in accommodation but you could top it up and use it to ring outside numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    this is pretty much the same here too although no one ever used them for outside calls, just to call people in other halls

ReputationRep:
    Hello. What's it like over there in the year 1979?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    At Southampton apparently all halls have telephones which can be used to contact other students and the university itself free-of-charge. I've no idea about it being used for out of the university, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Hello. What's it like over there in the year 1979?
    Haha clearly your sarcasm is up to par with mine:P

ReputationRep:
    Check it out. This new technology boggles my mind. I swear there's some kind of voodoo going on.

ReputationRep:
    In Portsmouth there is a phone in every room, but it can only call other rooms...well, that free..and then you can get calling card to call outside..otherwise it wont worked (tried 9..)

ReputationRep:
    Haha, my mum is threatening to make me have a mobile when I'm at Uni!
    I will resist with all my might!
    And the rest of the family is on O2 (no-where near the cheapest, I think), and I'd be forced to be on O2 similarly, even when I could be saving so much money! :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Haha, my mum is threatening to make me have a mobile when I'm at Uni!
    I will resist with all my might!
    And the rest of the family is on O2 (no-where near the cheapest, I think), and I'd be forced to be on O2 similarly, even when I could be saving so much money! :cry:
    You live a life without a mobile phone?!

However do you cope.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.