The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the uni...I've heard they do in some, I'd ask in the forum specific to the uni you're going to.

In Leeds they def don't :frown:.
grape:)
How does this work?

Do they provide a phone?

Is it in each room?

Regular billing or no?

Obviously depends on where you go to Uni....:rolleyes:
Reply 3
For Edinburgh we have a direct dial 0131 number where we can receive calls for free, we can also call other student phones for free too. If you want to call other numbers you need to buy credit. Best telling us which uni it is as they are all different.
EierVonSatan
Depends on the university, but I imagine that most don't have phones in every room. Some places have phones per floor/block with you can pay to use.

This. There may be some but generally uni accommodation phones will cost a lot to use.
I know this idea is a bit out there, but have you considered getting a mobile?
Reply 5
We don't have phones, and I doubt many places do.
Reply 6
hoonosewot
This. There may be some but generally uni accommodation phones will cost a lot to use.
I know this idea is a bit out there, but have you considered getting a mobile?

What is this mobile you speak of?
Reply 7
Non at all at Warwick, appart from a very few pay phones. Dont you have a mobile anyway?
Rian1988
For Edinburgh we have a direct dial 0131 number where we can receive calls for free, we can also call other student phones for free too. If you want to call other numbers you need to buy credit. Best telling us which uni it is as they are all different.

This is what I'll get at Portsmouth, too.

I doubt I'll really use it though. I've got my mobile contract :smile:
Reply 9
psychocustard
This is what I'll get at Portsmouth, too.

I doubt I'll really use it though. I've got my mobile contract :smile:

Yeh same I've got minutes on my mobile so will probably never use it either.
Reply 10
When I was in halls, phones were theoretically included in our internet connection fee, but in practice they never worked. Everyone just uses their mobile anyway.
At Nottingham we got given a phone in our rooms in Catered accommodation. The phones were free to other phones in accommodation but you could top it up and use it to ring outside numbers.
Reply 12
Rian1988

this is pretty much the same here too although no one ever used them for outside calls, just to call people in other halls
Reply 13

Hello. What's it like over there in the year 1979?
Reply 14
At Southampton apparently all halls have telephones which can be used to contact other students and the university itself free-of-charge. I've no idea about it being used for out of the university, though.
Reply 15
HJV
Hello. What's it like over there in the year 1979?

Haha clearly your sarcasm is up to par with mine:P

Check it out. This new technology boggles my mind. I swear there's some kind of voodoo going on.

In Portsmouth there is a phone in every room, but it can only call other rooms...well, that free..and then you can get calling card to call outside..otherwise it wont worked (tried 9..)
Haha, my mum is threatening to make me have a mobile when I'm at Uni!
I will resist with all my might!
And the rest of the family is on O2 (no-where near the cheapest, I think), and I'd be forced to be on O2 similarly, even when I could be saving so much money! :cry:
Reply 19
placenta medicae talpae
Haha, my mum is threatening to make me have a mobile when I'm at Uni!
I will resist with all my might!
And the rest of the family is on O2 (no-where near the cheapest, I think), and I'd be forced to be on O2 similarly, even when I could be saving so much money! :cry:

You live a life without a mobile phone?!

However do you cope.

Latest

Trending

Trending