Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Parents deciding what I car I should have watch

ReputationRep:
    I told my parents I wanted a new car, but because I am always busy working, they would have to go and look at it for me, and pay for it with my cheque. However, even though I wrote out a list of all the cars I was interested in on Autotrader, my dad just decided that he didn't like any of them (!) and arranged with my mum to look at another car tomorrow - without even telling me until just now.

It's my car, my money, my decision. WTF has it got to do with them? :mad: I write out a list, they make sure the car(s) work properly, then they buy it for me with my own hard-earned summerjob money. It's not hard to understand really is it?

ReputationRep:
    Car garages are open usually 7 days a week, is there no time that your able to look for one? They shouldn't be dictating what your buying as it's your money, but the easiest way is probably to buy it yourself (if you can get the time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Car garages are open usually 7 days a week, is there no time that your able to look for one? They shouldn't be dictating what your buying as it's your money, but the easiest way is probably to buy it yourself (if you can get the time).
    But my dad is a mechanic. How do I know if I am buying a scrapheap or not? Can I hire an AA man lol? If not, then my dad needs to be involved. I know nothing about the technical side of cars, all I know is that Clios are sexy. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    But my dad is a mechanic. How do I know if I am buying a scrapheap or not? Can I hire an AA man lol? If not, then my dad needs to be involved. I know nothing about the technical side of cars, all I know is that Clios are sexy. :yes:
    What cars have you short listed? What's your budget? And what does your dad have in mind? Can you not find a time where you can both go looking together?

ReputationRep:
    all I know is that Clios are sexy. :yes:
    no son, they are not.

ReputationRep:
    You two must have planned this for years.

ReputationRep:
    And if your looking at a Clio no wonder your had has said they're crap. They are. Break down all the time.

ReputationRep:
    why dont u just go wtih them and choose a car... ur dad is a mechanic he knows more than u... its probably ur first car so he is looking for a durable one and not a fancy one

ReputationRep:
    In my family it's the opposite. We just ordered a new car; it was me who was going test driving different cars and going through the brochures choosing optional equipment.

If your dad knows more about cars, why not turn it around and ask him to list cars and then you pick some that you like from the list?

ReputationRep:
    nowadays you dont need an experienced mechanic (like my dad) at a car sale, its just useful. just go and get the car yourself but make sure it isnt a clio. and as long as its not too old you will hardly have to check anything. just look for the basics

ReputationRep:
    You must have some time you can go and look at cars yourself, OP? And some idea of what to look for? I bought my car a week ago, and I know nothing about cars but was able to read up online about common faults, and what would be real trouble for the vehicle, and gave the car a look over and a test drive myself. You don't need to be a mechanic to understand the basics - there's plenty of information online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    You must have some time you can go and look at cars yourself, OP? And some idea of what to look for? I bought my car a week ago, and I know nothing about cars but was able to read up online about common faults, and what would be real trouble for the vehicle, and gave the car a look over and a test drive myself. You don't need to be a mechanic to understand the basics - there's plenty of information online.
    This, especially the first bit.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. My dad would be exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    You've not really listed what cars you wanted, what cars your parents want you to have and your budget... something doesn't smell right.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you get your parents to run errands for you! You Brits have it so good!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    And if your looking at a Clio no wonder your had has said they're crap. They are. Break down all the time.
    But I am a student, and I only have £3500ish to spend on a car. A Clio is what all boyracers drive isn't it? :p: I wouldn't say I am a boyracer, but there is no alternative to a Clio unless the price goes up to abhout £20000 and we get into Ferrari territory. I cannot afford such cars.

ReputationRep:
    But I am a student, and I only have £3500ish to spend on a car. A Clio is what all boyracers drive isn't it? :p: I wouldn't say I am a boyracer, but there is no alternative to a Clio unless the price goes up to abhout £20000 and we get into Ferrari territory. I cannot afford such cars.
    No, your right. There are NO cars other than the Clio for less than £3500. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What ferrari can you get for 20k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    No, your right. There are NO cars other than the Clio for less than £3500. :rolleyes:
    That's right, there's none I want.

Vectra = NO
    Pug = NO
    Corsa = NO
    Mazda = NO
    Fiesta = NO
    Clio = :yes:

ReputationRep:
    That's right, there's none I want.

Vectra = NO
    Pug = NO
    Corsa = NO
    Mazda = NO
    Fiesta = NO
    Clio = :yes:
    It's people who are only willing to look at one model of car who end up being the most disappointed with their purchases, and if you think the above are all you can get with your 3500 then you're sadly mistaken. I suggest that you do a little more research, becuase tbh if your willing to buy a car that a mechanic doesn't think you should get it probably means he's repaired a few. so if you have 3500 you might want to leave 1000 aside for the repairs. have a look on whatcar becuase there are definitely better buys for 3500 than a clio.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.