Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents deciding what I car I should have Watch

ReputationRep:
    Good luck insuring some of them, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're talking about...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though, is £3500 for a second hand black Clio with 66,000 miles on the clock bad value for money or simply embarrassingly bad value for money?

I don't mind spending a little over the odds, but if I am being ripped off by a grand then obviously it will feel stupid trying to buy it.

I only use Autotrader to search for cars. I don't have any contacts elsewhere in the world, and I MUST buy from a garage. Private sales are no good to me. I also need a car - CLIO - very quickly, my mazda 121 is simply a joke (it's only worth about £100), so I guess people as desperate as me probably do pay more than necessary.

ReputationRep:
    for £3,500 you can get something a LOT nicer than a clio, my sister has had 2 clio's and quite frankly they were ****, cheap and nasty, reasonably good to drive and they both broke down constantly.
    Dont just look at Clio's, £3,500 will get you a helluva lot of car if you look in the right place's, here's a few suggestions:

Ford Focus, ok there are a LOT of them around but they are good to drive, reliable, dependable and comftorble and rather good looking as well.

Honda Civic, with a smaller engine, bit of an old folks car, but they are bulletproof and not too bad to drive.

VW Golf, im not a fan myself but they are good all round car's so worth a look.

Ford Mondeo, more of a Ford theme again, but Mondeo's might be a bit on the big side compared to a clio, but they are great to drive for how big they are, reliable, roomy, comftorble and if you look after it, they seemingly last forever.

Vauxhall Vectra, similar to the mondeo, but a bit uglier and not quite as good to drive.

Mazda MX5, wee 2 seat sports car, insurance is the only problem, but its a brilliant drive, plus when its sunny you can put the roof down.

BMW 3 series, very good to drive, comftorble, reliable, only problem is, older one's get abused greatly by chav's etc so if you look at one check it over and so on, dont want to buy a crap one, otherwise they can make a nasty hole in youre wallet.

Personally, out of the above, the Focus is my pick but thats purely down to taste and what i look for in a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)

I only use Autotrader to search for cars. I don't have any contacts elsewhere in the world, and I MUST buy from a garage. Private sales are no good to me. I also need a car - CLIO - very quickly, my mazda 121 is simply a joke (it's only worth about £100), so I guess people as desperate as me probably do pay more than necessary.
    Is the 121 the car based on the Fiesta?

Also, you consider a clio an upgrade from a 121 (both are **** asthmatic plastic lunchboxes)?

Or is it just because it is mildly 'cooler'?

ReputationRep:
    BUY THIS NOW:

Ford Fiesta Mk1 XR2

It ticks all the boxes: It's in budget, from a Trade supplier, unbelievably cool, great handling.

Spend the rest on some Classic Car insurance, and if it breaks hit it with a hammmer - none of this diagnostics computer crap you get with modern cars.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.