Turn on thread page Beta

How long would it take for me to Learn AS biology course??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically i didnt do it in year 12 but want to do the full A2 do you think i could learn the AS by september???
    If you could compare its difficulty to chemistry or physics/maths, i think i could learn the chem and physics AS in a month quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    Basically i didnt do it in year 12 but want to do the full A2 do you think i could learn the AS by september???
    If you could compare its difficulty to chemistry or physics/maths, i think i could learn the chem and physics AS in a month quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    It's merely memorisation, it's possible if you start now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to do the same - learn AS by September. I started two weeks ago and have gone through about a fifth of the syllabus. It's going slow, but I've also been doing revision for other subjects and work experience. I think next week I will concentrate on biology, but it can be so zzzzzzzzz!

Good luck to you - I'm sure you will be more than capable!

ReputationRep:
    It will be incredibly difficult. It is the hardest A level, then again I didn't really pay much attention in class and basically taught myself in the month preceding the exam and came out with a pretty high A 270/300.

ReputationRep:
    If you are fairly intelligent, and motivated, i'd say you could do the majority of it in an afternoon.

good luck. A2 is far harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddysalted)
    Then you can do biology in a month too, easily. :cool:

It's no harder - in fact I would say it is reasonably easy but you need a good memory as there is quite a bit to learn, especially compared to chemistry when the recall element is particularly low.

And having done a year of chemistry at AS, the biochemical aspect of the biology AS should come easily and you won't have any problems there.

I say go for it. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Wait - you're planning to learn 3 AS levels by September? I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm saying it's only possible if you don't ever stop to eat. Or sleep.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Biology = Learn & Churn

You learn a bunch of pointless names, and churn them out in the exam.

Personally, it took me ages to memorise all the crap in the textbook, but I suppose it's possible if you are naturally good at biology and you work like a slave from now until the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddysalted)
    i think i could learn the chem and physics AS in a month quite easily.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why would you need to learn it by September...? The exams aren't til January so you have plenty of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Wait - you're planning to learn 3 AS levels by September? I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm saying it's only possible if you don't ever stop to eat. Or sleep.
    No he's planning to learn 1 I think. He's already done Chem and Phys I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say about 2 weeks of solid work (memorizing the text book) would be sufficient, assuming you're starting completely from scratch

The only real problem with this method of 'quick learning' is that although you'll easily be ready for exams straight after the actual period of learning, you'll also begin to forget a lot of the 'detail' straight away (obviously some topics are covered in greater depth in the A2 course so you can keep revising them, however some of them are AS specific)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Why would you need to learn it by September...? The exams aren't til January so you have plenty of time
    Well if he wants to start the A2 in Sept, he'd probably need the AS knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    only on tsr... seriously just chill out till september!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JmsG)
    only on tsr... seriously just chill out till september!
    How will he be able to start the A2 course in September if he hasn't learnt the AS course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    How will he be able to start the A2 course in September if he hasn't learnt the AS course?
    You can do the whole A Level in a year - a bloke in my A2 class was doing the AS level at the same time and he wasn't a major bright spark or anything.

It depends on how many other things you're studying in September as to whether you could hack it and whether you just want to memorise & regurgitate or actually understand it.

Going by
    i think i could learn the chem and physics AS in a month quite easily.
    I doubt he'd take much notice of anyone said 'no' anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grotbag)
    You can do the whole A Level in a year - a bloke in my A2 class was doing the AS level at the same time and he wasn't a major bright spark or anything.

It depends on how many other things you're studying in September as to whether you could hack it and whether you just want to memorise & regurgitate or actually understand it.

Going by

I doubt he'd take much notice of anyone said 'no' anyway.
    If he wanted to do AS and A2 in one year, that could mean him having to drop another subject, due to timetabling issues. If he wants to study Biology A2 the next year, and keep all his other subjects, I would think his idea is the best option. Besides, it's easier to learn it in the peace of summer, not when you've got loads of other work during the school year. Sure, it'll be a sacrifice for him now, but it'll probably pay off next year. But yes, only if, as you say, he can learn it properly.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think you can..i found that biology was more reciting and learning the text book by heart even if you didn't really understand it whereas chemistry is more understanding and applying it..so if you could do chemistry then it shouldn't be an issue..

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.