Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AirRaven)
    Blink in surprise for a few seconds, shrug, inform them that it's a non-issue, and congratulate them on admitting it to themself?

What kind of decent parent wouldn't do that?
    This pretty much sums up what i'd do. It really wouldn't be an issue for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably sit down and have a chat with them, asking how long they've known, and if they're in a relationship or anything, and making sure they know I support them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I'd be shocked at first. Then ask if he/she was certain that he/she was gay. Then I'd respect their sexuality.
    :ditto:

I guess it depends if they were an only child too as i'd probably feel disappointed more if they didn't want children either (just because i'd like the idea of grandkids!) - but i'd still be as above.

ReputationRep:
    Well then I'd lose one of my two insults and I'd be very angry at them for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    Joke?
    Yeh it was a joke, I would probably elbow drop him/her while he/she sleeps to wake him/her up and then congratulate him/her on their new life discovery.

ReputationRep:
    Don't mean to sound mean, but how do you guys know it 'wouldn't be an issue'?

I say this because things could be different when you're a parent, and until you're actually the parent of a child you care dearly for, you may feel a little worried? Not that I'm implying you'll become more homophobic when you have a child, but your mentality will change once you're actually raising a kid

As a hypothetical gay parent I might feel a bit stressed if my child came out to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AirRaven)
    Blink in surprise for a few seconds, shrug, inform them that it's a non-issue, and congratulate them on admitting it to themself?

What kind of decent parent wouldn't do that?
    this.

It doesn't matter what sexuality they are, they'd still be my child and I'd still love them. Can you imagine the amount of courage they'd have to have just to tell me? Although I'd like to think I'd be the kind of parent they could talk to about stuff like that, but who knows.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would it bother me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanuel_arsenalfc)
    your future son or daughter said.." mum, dad i'm gay"!????

followingon from the 'do u wana have kids thread' i was wondering what would happen if your children openly said to you they were gay.. in my case, atm if i told my mum this, i'd be slapped multiple times, then stabbed, then sent to the african equivalent of azkaban..(sorry if there are any gay ppl on tsr thats how my family works) but if it were me i'd probably be like ok its your life, you have fun the way you want to but make sure he dont have aids..and dont have sex in my house..
    I might be surprised (though I probably wouldn't be, given the fact that this is my child we are talking about), but fine with it:yes:

My parents right now would probably disown me haha
    perhaps my tolerance of homosexuals is partly because of my desire to rebel...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanuel_arsenalfc)
    your future son or daughter said.." mum, dad i'm gay"!????

followingon from the 'do u wana have kids thread' i was wondering what would happen if your children openly said to you they were gay.. in my case, atm if i told my mum this, i'd be slapped multiple times, then stabbed, then sent to the african equivalent of azkaban..(sorry if there are any gay ppl on tsr thats how my family works) but if it were me i'd probably be like ok its your life, you have fun the way you want to but make sure he dont have aids..and dont have sex in my house..

the easiest way to wind my mum up atm is to joke that my brother is gay (like when he does that play fight thing with other boys (he's 14) and they put each other in headlocks or whatever i like to walk past going "i support you in whatever you do, but please use protection and shut the door" they immediately let go of each other, Hilarious) (i personally dont care whether he is or not,)

when i'm older i wouldnt mind whether my kid/s was straaight bi or gay, however if gay and my only child i would probably encourage adoption as i want gandchildren! (obviously not if they really didnt want kids though)

ReputationRep:
    i honestley wouldnt mind - they can do what they like. i would like grandkids though......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossManSingh)
    Drop kick him and say, and thats the bottom line because Boss Man Singh said so.
    I'd call this guy to deal with my kid :p:
    I'd respect their choice and let them be

ReputationRep:
    I would be gutted and very upset, but would try to get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Dont really want kids atm tbh but if it did happen my exact words would be....

''Fancy a beer or do you only drink bacardi and coke now?''

Honestly I wouldnt have a problem with it, unless he/she started buying into the stereotype and the awful subculture that hinders gay rights and alienates gay people from the rest of the community.

I would say "cool story, bro". Nah - just kidding :awesome:

Honestly, wouldn't really mind or care at all. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    You only live once, what's the point in judging people by race, gender or sexual orientation.

I'd want my kids to be happy and support them, i don't think of homosexuals any different than hetrosexuals.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy for them, it would make no difference whatsoever

ReputationRep:
    If I had a son and he was gay, I would be pissed off for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    If I had a son and he was gay, I would be pissed off for a while.
    About what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    About what?
    Things like my name won't be carried on, and I also want grandchildren (not adopted ones), also I'm a pub-goer and would like to take my son down to the pub for his first pint - not an apple-tini, but most of all I would just feel awkward around them I think. Also if he was the stereotypical, flouncy, gay-innuendo person, I would disown him.

I have nothing against gay people, but to be completely honest I don't want my children to be gay.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.