Turn on thread page Beta

what would you say if..... watch

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt mind, would just try to be as supportive as possible, as a relationship gonna be much harder for him/her (cuz of many ppl prejudices etc)

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it freaks me out
    Because it's going to be hard on both of us

ReputationRep:
    If it was a he:

I'd kick him up the arse, and if he didn't mind it, he's passed the gay test and i'd be fine. If he found it painful i'd kick him some more for lying to me :p:

(Staying anon in case things turn ugly and some idiot calls me a homophobe. Please keep anon or delete, mods.)

(Original post by Lizia)
    I'd be disappointed. I think most parents would be. Not necessarily because they're homophobic, but I don't think any parent wants their child to face a more difficult than average life. Sure, it would be nice if being gay was as accepted as being straight, but it isn't. They're going to face intolerance, probably find it more difficult to find a long term partner, and just generally have toput up with a lot of ****. I think maybe if it was a daughter admitting being a lesbian, I'd be a bit less worried because from experience it's gay men who end up actually being started on, whereas lesbians just get pointed comments. Well, I suppose that's worry really. The disappointment would come in the fact I wouldn't have grandchildren, so it's partly a selfish feeling as well.

I wouldn't disown them, but it might take a while for me to come around to the idea at first. Obviously, I'd stress that I wasn't going to abandon them or anything, but I'd need some time to get used to the idea, just like I would any other. I think people here are being a bit naive as to how they would react. But then again, everyone's oh-so-tolerant on the internet and if you admit even being slightly uneasy about homosexuality you're stamped with the bigot label in seconds :rolleyes:
    This is the most realistic post in the thread. I know everyone here is dying to prove how progressive and gay-friendly they are with an empty one-line post, but it's a little more complicated than most of you make out. The only ones who could honestly answer this question are parents themselves.

Let me make it clear that I have no problem with homosexuality. The problem is that the world can be a very cruel place. Homosexuals will undoubtedly face problems that straight people will never even have to consider, and when some of us actually become parents, we'll have to factor this in instead of just trivialising the issue. When I have children, I'll love them regardless of their sexual orientation, but you better believe I'm gonna hope for them to be straight. Being a parent is hard enough as it is without having to watch your child face this type of adversity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    (Staying anon in case things turn ugly and some idiot calls me a homophobe. Please keep anon or delete, mods.)

This is the most realistic post in the thread. I know everyone here is dying to prove how progressive and gay-friendly they are with an empty one-line post, but it's a little more complicated than most of you make out. The only ones who could honestly answer this question are parents themselves.

Let me make it clear that I have no problem with homosexuality. The problem is that the world can be a very cruel place. Homosexuals will undoubtedly face problems that straight people will never even have to consider, and when some of us actually become parents, we'll have to factor this in instead of just trivialising the issue. When I have children, I'll love them regardless of their sexual orientation, but you better believe I'm gonna hope for them to be straight. Being a parent is hard enough as it is without having to watch your child face this type of adversity.
    Well said. I think what people who've already posted meant was that they would not have a problem with it, eg aren't against homosexuality, and wouldn't hurt/disown their children because of it. The actual thought processes of the majority of parents would be similar to what you described, as what parent wouldn't wish for their child to have as trouble-free life as possible?

However, the Thread question is 'what would you say if', and I doubt parents would say 'well you've shot yourself in the foot there [insert child's name] haven't you, you've made life sooo much harder for yourself!'. Most would say 'ok'/'that's fine, i accept that' and then mull over it, and worry and be disappointed etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    They're pointing out that everyone here is so desperate to prove how tolerant and liberal they are, that they simply won't admit that they'd be disappointed or concerned.

we were pointing out that the people here are either naive and haven't considered the question fully, or fraidy cats who are scared to look homophobic so act like they'd be completely unconcerned.
    You do love to put others down don't you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.