Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of a strict cut off score in the BMAT set by ICL? I've been searching, but they do not state one, like UCL does. If they do have a cut off score - would they keep it a secret? i.e. not clearly state it.

My question is...are they really big on the BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial College School of Medicine have an official answer for this on the Registry section of their website.

http://imperialcollegelondon.custhel...i=&p_topview=1

The BMAT scores will vary from year to year, and so it is not possible to publish a cut-off point. However, on the basis of our previous experience candidates would generally need to obtain 50% in each of the three sections of BMAT in order to be amongst those who are selected for interview.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thank youuu! +rep

ReputationRep:
    I met the ICL med student president person last year and he said that they select the top 20% bmat scorers for interview... they dont judge you on your PS or grades or somthing along those lines... so it's a lot of pressure on the Bmat... so, I chickened and didnt apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Thank youuu! +rep
    Thanks

You may also find the following useful:

Firstly we ensure that the candidate satisfies our published academic entry criteria as detailed in the Undergraduate Prospectus. We then wait for the year’s BMAT scores to be released. Candidates who have performed excellently in all three sections of BMAT are given priority consideration by our shortlisters. The shortlisters read the candidate’s UCAS reference and personal statement and assess how well s/he satisfies the non-academic entry criteria, which are also detailed in the Prospectus.

When the shortlisters have decided which of the above candidates to interview they will consider candidates who have performed slightly less well in each of the three sections of BMAT and decide which of these candidates to interview. This procedure continues until all of our interview places have been allocated.
    Myiesha_90 is right to say that the put a lot of weighting on the BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianofingers)
    Thanks

You may also find the following useful:

The man speaks the truth ... I completely forgot about the part about him saying "first we make sure you meet the criteria on the website" and I remember I said yeah I already do... and it wasn't mentioned again so I kinda forgot about it...
    I was reapplying this year, last year despite having 8A*s and 5As at A-level I got interviewed nowhere at all in '08... And I was hoping to bank on those already achieved a-level grades for that not to happen again. Since they didn't care at all about them and Bmat has such an unpredictable outcome for me I thought I may as well not apply... I kind of wish I did... He said something about the accommodation there being the equivalent of a 5* hotel. :rolleyes: haha... oh well... too late now i suppose!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of a strict cut off score in the BMAT set by ICL? I've been searching, but they do not state one, like UCL does. If they do have a cut off score - would they keep it a secret? i.e. not clearly state it.

My question is...are they really big on the BMAT?
    YES!
    the BMAT is probably the single most influential aspect of your application (after all the mandatory reqirements).

yes they have cut-offs
    this year it was 4.7 4.7 7.5......last year they allowed 6 in section 3... i guess it depends on the applicant pool stats.

my advice is to get working asap for it.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Well that's Imperial crossed off my list.

ReputationRep:
    Every medical school that uses the BMAT is "big" on the BMAT

ReputationRep:
    How difficult is the BMAT in relation to UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    I look at the BMAT (e.g.those "math" questions) and I just want to poke myself in the eye.

ReputationRep:
    I look at the BMAT (e.g.those "math" questions) and I just want to poke myself in the eye.

I read in previous post something about hem putting a big emphasis on BMAT and disregarding other stuff. so aren't BMAT unis good if you have poor gcse (i.e. a few a/a*'s here and there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexis 123)
    I read in previous post something about hem putting a big emphasis on BMAT and disregarding other stuff. so aren't BMAT unis good if you have poor gcse (i.e. a few a/a*'s here and there)
    They don't disregard other stuff. You need the whole package, I suppose. People who do well in the BMAT supposedly have really good GCSEs, our school only lets people with enough A*s to do the BMAT.

(Original post by Imperial College London)
    If a candidate fulfils the minimum entry requirements and has scores in the top rankings for all three sections of BMAT, his or her application form will be passed to an experienced member of the selection panel. The selection panel comprises teachers in undergraduate education with experience in the admissions process, who will decide whether to offer the candidate an interview. These decisions are ratified by one of the admissions tutors. The panel members look at the following criteria when assessing applications:

GCSE results
    A/AS level or equivalent predicted (or achieved) grades
    BMAT scores
    Motivation and understanding of medicine as a career
    Community activities
    Leadership and teamwork
    General interests
    Referee’s report

ReputationRep:
    Also Imperial say:
    "All applicants must have the following subjects at GCSE level, at grades AAABB or above (in any order): biology (or human biology), chemistry, English language, mathematics (or additional mathematics or statistics), physics. The science double award may substitute all sciences at GCSE."

But I still think they'd want high GCSEs. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    our school only lets people with enough A*s to do the BMAT.
    Really? so if someone had 3a*s (guessing..) they'd have to do it outside the school? I know of somone with no A*s, just As for their gcses who got into cambridge for ppe last year.

Urgh I hate gcses... I heard they have an astronomy gcse now? and travel and tourism... what has getting an a* in those have anything to do with becoming a doctor...

As for the question... is the bmat difficult... YES it is... but you can revise for it especially the science section and the writing... there are quite a few good prep books with mock exams in them. I'd give it a go. Ukcats a bit of a silly exam compared to the bmat I thought... Bmats a little bit more thought provoking and sciencey... which makes good sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myiesha_90)
    Really? so if someone had 3a*s (guessing..) they'd have to do it outside the school? I know of somone with no A*s, just As for their gcses who got into cambridge for ppe last year.

Urgh I hate gcses... I heard they have an astronomy gcse now? and travel and tourism... what has getting an a* in those have anything to do with becoming a doctor...

As for the question... is the bmat difficult... YES it is... but you can revise for it especially the science section and the writing... there are quite a few good prep books with mock exams in them. I'd give it a go. Ukcats a bit of a silly exam compared to the bmat I thought... Bmats a little bit more thought provoking and sciencey... which makes good sense!
    I think the lowest was 5a*, anything below and you have to do it elsewhere :dontknow:

No way!!! Astronomy! looool. I'm really disappointed in my GCSEs though, I got quite a few A*s but I feel so dumb compared to med applicants in my school and on TSR. :sad:

I want to do the BMAT, but have you seen those confusing mathematical problems?!!?! I don't know whether to risk it or not. Nevertheless, I feel I'll never be good enough for imperial. :no: Do you know if a lot of private school candidates apply there (like they do to Oxford)?

I don't know what to do!

ReputationRep:
    I think the lowest was 5a*, anything below and you have to do it elsewhere :dontknow:

No way!!! Astronomy! looool. I'm really disappointed in my GCSEs though, I got quite a few A*s but I feel so dumb compared to med applicants in my school and on TSR. :sad:

I want to do the BMAT, but have you seen those confusing mathematical problems?!!?! I don't know whether to risk it or not. Nevertheless, I feel I'll never be good enough for imperial. :no: Do you know if a lot of private school candidates apply there (like they do to Oxford)?

I don't know what to do!
    Well, if you don't feel confident on the BMAT, then apply to one BMAT uni (Imperial or UCL) - just incase it happens to go well

If not, you still have 3 choices to fall back on.

GCSEs are overrated I think, but still, many unis will use them substantially. Durham History asks for at least 8A*s at GCSE... and we're calling Birmingham GCSE Nazis for asking for 7 :p: I don't think it's a question of whether GCSEs are relevant to medicine, it's just that the subjects vary in terms of academic difficulty. General Studies GCSE is obviously easier than History GCSE, for instance.

Plus, some schools allow people to sit more GCSEs. So if a person from a school doing 12 GCSEs is compared to one doing 9 at another school, it's conceiveable that it's easier for the one doing 12 to get 7A*/8A* to fulfill requirements at, say, Birmingham, than it is for the person doing 9. Especially as you can do combinations like... Maths, Additional Maths, Statistics... so that's 3 GCSEs.. and at some schools, you can't pick triple science, so you're deprived of another GCSE... and so on.

As for private school applications, it's the quality of applicants that matter... not their background. No uni is going to positively/negatively discriminate on that basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Well, if you don't feel confident on the BMAT, then apply to one BMAT uni (Imperial or UCL) - just incase it happens to go well

If not, you still have 3 choices to fall back on.

GCSEs are overrated I think, but still, many unis will use them substantially. Durham History asks for at least 8A*s at GCSE... and we're calling Birmingham GCSE Nazis for asking for 7 :p: I don't think it's a question of whether GCSEs are relevant to medicine, it's just that the subjects vary in terms of academic difficulty. General Studies GCSE is obviously easier than History GCSE, for instance.

Plus, some schools allow people to sit more GCSEs. So if a person from a school doing 12 GCSEs is compared to one doing 9 at another school, it's conceiveable that it's easier for the one doing 12 to get 7A*/8A* to fulfill requirements at, say, Birmingham, than it is for the person doing 9. Especially as you can do combinations like... Maths, Additional Maths, Statistics... so that's 3 GCSEs.. and at some schools, you can't pick triple science, so you're deprived of another GCSE... and so on.

As for private school applications, it's the quality of applicants that matter... not their background. No uni is going to positively/negatively discriminate on that basis.
    I always thought it would be easier for a person taking less GCSEs to get more A*s but I see where you're coming from. Do you think they even pay attention to the total number of GCSEs you got, or solely on the number of A*s? The maximum in school for us was indeed 9. I never knew Birmingham was 7, always thought it was 8 (not that I can apply anyway :p:).

EDIT: Would Birmingham completely ignore someone with 6?

ReputationRep:
    I always thought it would be easier for a person taking less GCSEs to get more A*s but I see where you're coming from. Do you think they even pay attention to the total number of GCSEs you got, or solely on the number of A*s? The maximum in school for us was indeed 9. I never knew Birmingham was 7, always thought it was 8 (not that I can apply anyway :p:).

EDIT: Would Birmingham completely ignore someone with 6?
    Well, it started off at 7 for my year, though towards the end of the cycle they realised there were too many people with 7 and bumped it up to 8, so 7 and 8 I guess, though some people with 7 didn't get interviewed.

My school only allowed me to do 9 as well, though not being arrogant or anything, but I could have got a few more A*s if we could have done things like triple science instead of the double award, and things like additional maths and stats (especially as maths was fast-tracked in our school).

If you have 6 and some other things they claim they accept as A* equivalents, e.g. grade 8 in an instrument, you should still be ok - but I personally don't see the allure of Birmingham as a medical school.

Medical schools probably do take into consideration the number of GCSEs you do, but when you weigh it up... doing 9 GCSEs and getting 7A* 2A is better (IMO) than going 13 and getting 5A*, 5A, 3B - for example. So the balance is hugely skewed, so if all 13 GCSEs are heavily academic, it wouldn't be worth doing so many if you sacrifice achievement.

ReputationRep:
    Aww get cape wear cape fly... I got rejected last year no interviews... nothing. And my best friend with "just" 4a*s got interviewed by everywhere... and ended up going to notts... my first choice... her last choice... Inside I was seething at the uni... she told me she didnt want to go to notts at all before she went for the interview and I'd been harping on about it all year...

sometimes its just not a fair system... the only way you can take control of the system is by applying to somewhere like UCL who guarantee you an interview if you get a 5, 5, 9... even if you don't get that it doesnt take you out of the running...

And Also... to prove how ridculous the medical application system is... I was rejected without interview by everyone last year... and this year I got interviewed and ended up wih 4 offers + an offer through clearing last summer. I barely changed my personal statement...

I think you should do the bmat... if you start working on it now... I'm sure you'd have a really good chance. If you're adament that it's going to be a disaster.. then steer clear, but personally I think if you begin now you could be The BMAT whizz kid by nov... I think it's dependant entirely on how you feel about how it will end up though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.