Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    If you have 6 and some other things they claim they accept as A* equivalents, e.g. grade 8 in an instrument, you should still be ok - but I personally don't see the allure of Birmingham as a medical school.

Medical schools probably do take into consideration the number of GCSEs you do, but when you weigh it up... doing 9 GCSEs and getting 7A* 2A is better (IMO) than going 13 and getting 5A*, 5A, 3B - for example. So the balance is hugely skewed, so if all 13 GCSEs are heavily academic, it wouldn't be worth doing so many if you sacrifice achievement.
    Really? How interesting.

And I have to agree about Birmingham, didn't like it on the open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    Really? How interesting.

Risky choice combination you're applying for. Good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    Really? How interesting.

Oh god... I know what you mean...
    The admissions man I spoke to was like "we dont accept anything less than 7A*s" *smug face*
    And I was like oh okay... and then he asked me what I had... and he gave me a huge grin... then someone I met on the open day who I tracked down the medical school building with said "5a*s" and the grin was replaced by some sort of distainful/dissappointed look... the whole thing was embarrassing tbh

Honestly... I would've punched his smug face in if I was less of a wimp... Gcses??! wtf... They're nothing compared to life experience, insight into what your getting into, personality and A-levels... These things predict good future doctors... how is a bunch of easy exams we took when we were 16 when we were too young to understand their so-called importance holding so much more weight than these other things...

Birmingham was a pretty bad open day experience... I don't even want to know what the admissions team are high to make them create such a farce with their entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't there a TSRian who applied to all BMAT or something and he got some offers? I think it was here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Wasn't there a TSRian who applied to all BMAT or something and he got some offers? I think it was here.
    Experiences vary, but it's a massive risk.

I know people who applied to 3 BMAT places and got offers from it - I also know people who applied to 3 and got straight rejections, the latter being more common.

My view is, if your BMAT is good enough for UCL, it should be good enough for Imperial and vice versa. So if going for Oxbridge, applying to one of the two others is a less risky option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myiesha_90)
    Aww get cape wear cape fly... I got rejected last year no interviews... nothing. And my best friend with "just" 4a*s got interviewed by everywhere... and ended up going to notts... my first choice... her last choice... Inside I was seething at the uni... she told me she didnt want to go to notts at all before she went for the interview and I'd been harping on about it all year...

sometimes its just not a fair system... the only way you can take control of the system is by applying to somewhere like UCL who guarantee you an interview if you get a 5, 5, 9... even if you don't get that it doesnt take you out of the running...

And Also... to prove how ridculous the medical application system is... I was rejected without interview by everyone last year... and this year I got interviewed and ended up wih 4 offers + an offer through clearing last summer. I barely changed my personal statement...

I think you should do the bmat... if you start working on it now... I'm sure you'd have a really good chance. If you're adament that it's going to be a disaster.. then steer clear, but personally I think if you begin now you could be The BMAT whizz kid by nov... I think it's dependant entirely on how you feel about how it will end up though
    Only if everything else (GCSE's, predicted grades, PS, reference etc.) is in check, I might add.

Also, 4.7, 4.7, 7.5 was indeed the Imperial cutoff this year, though they themselves state it varies with each cycle

ReputationRep:
    My friend got into Imperial with 3A*s, 3 A's and 5 B's. She did really well in her BMAT though; she got 6.0,6.0,10.0! Don't worry, just make sure that you do some decent BMAT preparation and you'll probably do well anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexis 123)
    How difficult is the BMAT in relation to UKCAT?
    well, imo the ukcat is a stupid game of lucky chance... the bmat actually requires you to think a bit. so in that sense its harder - but also a better way of diffrentiating between candidates.

buuuut ... the bmat is inevitably flawed in that you CAN prepare for it. you don't need to be a mini einstein to succeed, although it does help.

to get the really high marks, i think you can't just rely on practice and preparation, you actually require some natural brain power.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god... I know what you mean...
    The admissions man I spoke to was like "we dont accept anything less than 7A*s" *smug face*
    And I was like oh okay... and then he asked me what I had... and he gave me a huge grin... then someone I met on the open day who I tracked down the medical school building with said "5a*s" and the grin was replaced by some sort of distainful/dissappointed look... the whole thing was embarrassing tbh

Honestly... I would've punched his smug face in if I was less of a wimp... Gcses??! wtf... They're nothing compared to life experience, insight into what your getting into, personality and A-levels... These things predict good future doctors... how is a bunch of easy exams we took when we were 16 when we were too young to understand their so-called importance holding so much more weight than these other things...

Birmingham was a pretty bad open day experience... I don't even want to know what the admissions team are high to make them create such a farce with their entry requirements.
    Well other medical schools use the UKCAT and BMAT heavily, so I see nothing wrong with Birmingham using GCSEs heavily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Only if everything else (GCSE's, predicted grades, PS, reference etc.) is in check, I might add.

Also, 4.7, 4.7, 7.5 was indeed the Imperial cutoff this year, though they themselves state it varies with each cycle
    yeah... forgot to say that... it's a habit... I did the same when I was talking about imperial before :rolleyes: silly me.

Do you know what they mean by gcses being in check by the way? Dothey have a marking system like leicester or general cut offs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Risky choice combination you're applying for. Good luck with that.
    Hehe, thanks. It could all change though if I get a good UKCAT score...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Well other medical schools use the UKCAT and BMAT heavily, so I see nothing wrong with Birmingham using GCSEs heavily.
    It's just an opinion... but the reason I found it so annoying was because people take subjects like leisure and tourism, hospitality and archaeology and has nothing to do with medicine. If their A*s in those count towards an interview... it doesnt make sense... atleast the ukcat and bmat are specially designed tests that although they may not always feel relevant to us... they do seem to be made for people applying for the subjects theyre required for. Basing it solely on ukcat and bmat is one dimensional... but it makes more sense than basing it on gcses.

Maybe it narrows down applicants but surely they could think up a better way than that?

ReputationRep:
    It's just an opinion... but the reason I found it so annoying was because people take subjects like leisure and tourism, hospitality and archaeology and has nothing to do with medicine. If their A*s in those count towards an interview... it doesnt make sense... atleast the ukcat and bmat are specially designed tests that although they may not always feel relevant to us... they do seem to be made for people applying for the subjects theyre required for. Basing it solely on ukcat and bmat is one dimensional... but it makes more sense than basing it on gcses.

Maybe it narrows down applicants but surely they could think up a better way than that?
    Yeah, it some senses it is unfair. But, at least it's just one university, and it's good for those who have 7 or more A*s. Other universities place more emphasis on other areas, so play to the strengths of other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Yeah, it some senses it is unfair. But, at least it's just one university, and it's good for those who have 7 or more A*s. Other universities place more emphasis on other areas, so play to the strengths of other people.
    It's not the use of A*s at GCSE which bothers me, it's the 93% or so success rate after interview and the fact that over 7/8A*s guarantees an interview which bothers me.

ReputationRep:
    They don't have a set cut-off every year- the cut off increases year on year. An admissions tutor who spoke personally to our schools careers team confirmed that they select the top 20-25% based on BMAT performance. Despite them saying they rate each of the three sections equally- they DO favour sections 1 and 2 over 3.

I would place money on the cut off for 2010 entry being 5 5 7.5

Also, do NOT underestimate the BMAT. The practice papers you do will be MUCH easier than the real thing as people found for 2009 entry. Myself and others who were getting in the high 7's for sections 1 and 2 in practice papers got 5s in the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial have told me that they don't have a strict cut off score but they take those who score highly. So, the top 20% thing is probably correct.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.