Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Every time I stand up, I get dizzy. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've read up on it, and it says it's common for people to get it occasionally, but 90% of the time when I stand up, I get really dizzy and I can't see properly. This usually happens about 5 mins after standing up.
    The interwebz says to see a doctor if it happens regularly, so I will, but I just want your opinions on it.

I had a really bad one this morning, after I'd got out of bed. I walked to the bathroom and suddenly, I couldn't see a thing - literally. My vision was just black and I had to cling onto the door frame to keep on my feet. ;/

Suggestions?

EDIT: It's been happening for quite a few months now, about 4-6.

ReputationRep:
    that used to happen to me too
    for agessssss
    but duno how it just stopped?

ReputationRep:
    cud you happen to be dizzy rascal. lol. anyway just joking as a matter of fact it used to happen to me too but of late it has stopped

ReputationRep:
    I used to get that. I went to the doctors and had bloods taken etc, but then it stopped and that was it. :dontknow:

Definitely go see the doc.

ReputationRep:
    Low blood pressure. It's common after people lay/sit for a while and then suddenly get up. If you get it all the time, see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    I get this, I'd say, 98% of the time. It's due to low blood pressure. I'm not sure what the doctor does though, because I've never been given anything for it. Although I'm already on the pill which is suppose to higher your blood pressure, so I don't know how I'm still "bordering on dangerously low". Maybe you have to be in the dangerously low zone before they give medication :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    Right, I've read up on it, and it says it's common for people to get it occasionally, but 90% of the time when I stand up, I get really dizzy and I can't see properly. This usually happens about 5 mins after standing up.
    The interwebz says to see a doctor if it happens regularly, so I will, but I just want your opinions on it.

I had a really bad one this morning, after I'd got out of bed. I walked to the bathroom and suddenly, I couldn't see a thing - literally. My vision was just black and I had to cling onto the door frame to keep on my feet. ;/

Suggestions?

Christ I'm booking a doctors appointment for exactly the same thing 100% down to the timing and way it happened! It's scary isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    this used to happen to me but then it stopped.

ReputationRep:
    I get it all the time, sometimes my vision goes blank for a few seconds too. My GP said it could be my low blood pressure but didn't actually know himself :p:
    Go to your GP, hopefully they'll be more helpful than mine was

ReputationRep:
    Anaemia?

ReputationRep:
    low blood pressure

ReputationRep:
    happens to me.
    have to hold onto something to stop me falling :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    what everyone has been suggesting is called postural hypotension, if you want to find out a bit more about it

ReputationRep:
    I get this sometimes too...

Wikipedia says : "Patients who are prone to orthostatic hypotension are the elderly, postpartum mothers, those who have been on bedrest and teenagers because of their large amounts of growth in a short period of time." :dontknow: Maybe this is why so many of us seem to get it?

ReputationRep:
    I used to get that when I was 16-17 ish. Quite cool really, in bad times I couldn't see!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this post is a little late of the actual discussion, but oh my I get this too! Is it something to be concerned about?

I can't go on rollercoasters anymore either as I blackout in the loops

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get this, I used to faint as well so I went to see the doc.
    Basically he said blood pressure changes from when you sit down and when you stand up which is what does it.
    Also tall people seem more prone lawl

ReputationRep:

Suggestions?

You might be anaemic, I got this a month ago with my pregnancy and thought it was normal but blood tests showed my iron level had droppe quite a bit. I am on iron tablets now and feel a bit better.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds exactly like the problems i had, dizzy spells and loss of vision at times. I was told it was likely to be postral hypotentension ( i think that is what it is called) Where there is a sudden drop of blood pressure apon change of position, so for example sitting to standing. Best plan is to go to the doctors as they will be able to give you a good check over and suggest if there is anything to worry about, but by the looks of the thread it is quite common, and may be something to do with growing up; hormones and all.

ReputationRep:

Suggestions?

I get that too. It can be low blood pressure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.