Turn on thread page Beta

My achille's tendon is creaking and painful watch

ReputationRep:
    I was mainly wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong (obviously i'll go see my GP if it doesn't get better but)

I recently did a lot of cycling and my achilles tendon is painful, and, the only way i can describe it is it 'creaks' either when i squeeze it with my fingers or point my foot down. Any idea what might be the problem, becuase its quite a weird sensation. :confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's probably tendonitis, which results from overuse / vigorous exercise.

The pain is caused by shearing forces placed on the tendon.
    Inflammation of the tendon is a common result along with tightening of the calf muscles
    It should resolve over time, give it a week before seeing your GP.

However, avoid flat-ish shoes and try not to walk on your bare feet too much.

However, nothing can replace a visit to your GP.

Try acetaminophen (paracetamol) or other OTC anti-inflammatories.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like what i had in my left achillies muscle a month ago... i managed to strain it while asleep and was just told to rest but not if that makes sense... no lying about doing nothing but no cycling lol x

Go see your GP, and not if it doesnt get better, just see him/her as soon as possible...

ReputationRep:
    I had this a couple of months ago. It'll be Achilles Tendonitis (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...endinitis.htm). If you go to your GP, they'll probably give you prescription painkillers to reduce the inflamation and it should go away in 2-3 weeks - it did for me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds exactly what I had about 6 months ago, tendonitis.
    Good news is it will go away quite soon. Mine lasted about 1-2 weeks.
    Bad news is it is very very painful.
    Also, when you recover from it, increase your intensity slowly, I went back into it too soon and damaged my achilles again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.