Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My achille's tendon is creaking and painful Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was mainly wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong (obviously i'll go see my GP if it doesn't get better but)

I recently did a lot of cycling and my achilles tendon is painful, and, the only way i can describe it is it 'creaks' either when i squeeze it with my fingers or point my foot down. Any idea what might be the problem, becuase its quite a weird sensation. :confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's probably tendonitis, which results from overuse / vigorous exercise.

The pain is caused by shearing forces placed on the tendon.
    Inflammation of the tendon is a common result along with tightening of the calf muscles
    It should resolve over time, give it a week before seeing your GP.

However, avoid flat-ish shoes and try not to walk on your bare feet too much.

However, nothing can replace a visit to your GP.

Try acetaminophen (paracetamol) or other OTC anti-inflammatories.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like what i had in my left achillies muscle a month ago... i managed to strain it while asleep and was just told to rest but not if that makes sense... no lying about doing nothing but no cycling lol x

Go see your GP, and not if it doesnt get better, just see him/her as soon as possible...

ReputationRep:
    I had this a couple of months ago. It'll be Achilles Tendonitis (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...endinitis.htm). If you go to your GP, they'll probably give you prescription painkillers to reduce the inflamation and it should go away in 2-3 weeks - it did for me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds exactly what I had about 6 months ago, tendonitis.
    Good news is it will go away quite soon. Mine lasted about 1-2 weeks.
    Bad news is it is very very painful.
    Also, when you recover from it, increase your intensity slowly, I went back into it too soon and damaged my achilles again.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.