Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is this thing? It was loud, and kept flying into the light, and wouldn't die, it kept crawling around until I literally crushed it.

Sorry the pics are a bit blurry, also it had a stinger that you cant really make out from the pics, it was at the end of its abdomen (:holmes:) That's a 10p coin btw.

ReputationRep:
    Just looks like a midge to me, I get loads of them round here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zastrugi)
    Just looks like a midge to me, I get loads of them round here...
    But that size? That's a 10p btw.

ReputationRep:
    A scout dispatched by the Insect Men.

Now you're first on their list.

ReputationRep:
    The swine flu virus must be mutating faster than my calculations had predicted. :holmes:
    I estimate by next week it should be human size. :woo:

What you got there is a bona fide Scary Mosquito Thing :yes:

Well at least you noticed it before you went to sleep? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthred50)
    What you got there is a bona fide Scary Mosquito Thing :yes:

Well at least you noticed it before you went to sleep? :eek:
    Lol yeah I'm glad it didn't get me in the night. It was so hard to kill though, properly freaked me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nigel_s)
    But that size? That's a 10p btw.
    I've seen them that size before and a few bigger (I think they're radioactive or something, they're bigger here than anywhere else I've seen them) I think mosquitos are bigger though?

This site has a comparing thing at the bottom, and I think it's a midge from that --> http://www.mosquitoes.org/Midge.html

ReputationRep:
    Just looks like a species of mosquito. Pretty sure there are like a couple of thousand types.

ReputationRep:
    I always have my window open and my rooms a bit like a wildlife park at the moment - so many insects! I was sort of attacked my a moth a minute ago Bad Times.

Looks like a small daddy long legs in the second picture, but its probably a mosquito or something. They make such a horrible sound if they get stuck in a lampshade!

ReputationRep:
    It's a daddy long-legs you moron :laughs: poor thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    It's a daddy long-legs you moron :laughs: poor thing
    Lol it's really not! It was a different colour, had a stinger, made a different noise and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    It's a daddy long-legs
    mummy short-hands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    I always have my window open and my rooms a bit like a wildlife park at the moment - so many insects! I was sort of attacked my a moth a minute ago Bad Times.

Looks like a small daddy long legs in the second picture, but its probably a mosquito or something. They make such a horrible sound if they get stuck in a lampshade!
    Urgh... I for one don't envy you on your room being an insect nature reserve. By you I mean OP and fortunecookie

I have an irrational fear of moths... or Mottephobia as I just found out... lol but seriously, it's pretty bad. The single reason of why I hate the summer... and I swear some nights I've mistaken the dust on my ceiling for one of those see-through moths and I slept with the covers over my head despite it being really humid...

This summers been a lot better though I got attacked by a small one in the kitchen at around 10ish but thats been the only encounter :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    mummy short-hands
    Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yeah it's a different colour, but it very much looks like a daddy-longlegs :laughs:
    Are you sure it has a stinger? I thought the only insects with stingers in Britain were wasps and bees o_O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    mummy short-hands
    Haha awww

ReputationRep:
    ugh looks scary, would have well freaked me out, i once had this HUGE bug thing fly into my room at night too, weird things are out during the summer

ReputationRep:
    Moths. I hate moths. I'm not scared of them, infact I'm sure they're lovely creatures... I just don't understand their need to fly erratically in circles around my bathroom, hitting me numerous times at high speeds along the way! Especially when I'm in the shower, that results in me having to pull bits of soggy, dead moth off my skin

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.