The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1
Hey, welcome to TSR and the St Andrews forum, are you coming this September?

If you're a first year and taking Introduction to IR then your reading list is here, note that this list includes both texts and journal articles.

A list of reading materials for all subjects is here.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
thank you! but I'm still a bit confused, do I have to get all of them now??? how do I get hold of the articles? is there any way of getting onto JSTOR from home? should I have received this by post or email? if so then why didn't I? sorry about all the questions, am I being stupid?
Reply 3
Good. I need exactly the same answers!!
Reply 4
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/intrel/media/ir1005.pdf - have a look at last year's module booklet. It's likely (although not certain) that IR1005 will be based on the same texts as last year. On page 11 it says that there's one primary text that needs purchasing: 'Understanding International Relations, 3rd ed'. From the experience of my friends last year I'd say that you'd need to buy that book. Possibly read 'Remains of the Day' as well. Otherwise wait and see what you need once you get to St. Andrews - there's no point wasting money on books you rarely use. They're all in short loan in the Library in any case.

As for your other questions: St Andrews don't sent out book lists. It's basically up to you to find out what you need to read for next year. Also you can't access JSTOR until next year when you'll get access through the library/RESNET and sign up for ATHENS access which will enable you to access online databases from home.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 5
So we don't have to read anything in the list during the summer? I mean, would it be helpful?
Reply 6
I'd say at least flick through the two texts above. But strictly speaking you don't have to read anything until September. If I were you I would hold out until the module booklets for 09/10 are published in case they change any of the key texts.
Reply 7
It can never hurt to do some extra reading. The more you do before the term the better will your results be and the more time will you have for going out and making party.
Reply 8
Murphyen
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/intrel/media/ir1005.pdf - have a look at last year's module booklet. It's likely (although not certain) that IR1005 will be based on the same texts as last year. On page 11 it says that there's one primary text that needs purchasing: 'Understanding International Relations, 3rd ed'. From the experience of my friends last year I'd say that you'd need to buy that book. Possibly read 'Remains of the Day' as well. Otherwise wait and see what you need once you get to St. Andrews - there's no point wasting money on books you rarely use. They're all in short loan in the Library in any case.

As for your other questions: St Andrews don't sent out book lists. It's basically up to you to find out what you need to read for next year. Also you can't access JSTOR until next year when you'll get access through the library/RESNET and sign up for ATHENS access which will enable you to access online databases from home.

Hope that helps. :smile:

hmph, a new edition came out in april though...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-International-Relations-Chris-Brown/dp/0230213111/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249420047&sr=8-1
Reply 9

In which case I'd wait for the new IR1005 booklet to be published :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending