Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm likely to be joining a gym, but not quite sure what to wear as I've never been in one before :o:
    As regards for comfort and practicality, should I be looking for shorts, three quarter lengths or full length track bottoms? And a vest top or a tshirt? I also need a recommendation of some good trainers to wear on the treadmill :yes:
    So what do you wear at the gym? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I wear Nike full length tracksuit bottoms, they have an extra layer which allows your skin to breath, they're really nice. And then a tight vest top, so it doesnt move round too much xx

ReputationRep:
    I prefer vest tops. They are fairly fitted so don't jump about - whereas I find t-shirts do, and it's sooo offputting!

I like wearing shorts so that I don't get the bottom of trousers/three quarters flapping round my ankles while I'm jogging, I hate it.

I like little 'rounded' trainers which fit neatly and are light. Very comfy for jogging in

ReputationRep:
    i think for running trainers your supposed to go for a 'horseshoe type' where you see the shape of a horse shoe on the sole
    and i wear shorts and vest top but you should also get a sports bra if you need

ReputationRep:
    Would it be easier just to get a supportive vest top? Or should I invest in a sports bra too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    Would it be easier just to get a supportive vest top? Or should I invest in a sports bra too?
    Yes, absolutely get a sports bra!

ReputationRep:
    No, just top is fine

ReputationRep:
    Proper sports bra, wicking t-shirt or vest top, comfortable shorts or capris, socks that don't give you blisters. Go to a running shop and get proper advice on what kind of shoes you need.

ReputationRep:
    ahm, I'm pretty sure you can wear anything you feel comfortable in to do your workouts... I know girls who wear basketball shorts, and I know girls who wear those tight things whatever they're called lol.

ReputationRep:
    I wear a full length tracksuit and a vest top.

You can wear whatever the only essentials are a good sports bra and traniners!! I wear shorts or tracksuit pants with giant tshirts obtained free from uni freshers weeks (I like running with 'Helper. Here to Help' written across my back, its quite funny)

ReputationRep:
    It's a gym, not a minefield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    You can wear whatever the only essentials are a good sports bra and traniners!! I wear shorts or tracksuit pants with giant tshirts obtained free from uni freshers weeks (I like running with 'Helper. Here to Help' written across my back, its quite funny)
    LOL :P what help can you offer?

As for the OP, anything for gym is suitable, course there is a dresscode, just doesnt have to be stylish. But majority of the people, especially women's like to dress well. i'm a guy, i can't complain. Just anyone with excessive make up at the gym...in my opinion, they should leave immediately.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.