Turn on thread page Beta

Apple student discount? watch

ReputationRep:
    Apparently you get the AppleCare protection for only £49 or so if you are a student, is this true?

If so, do you have to go into store to get it or can you do it online?

Also, are Apple still doing the buy before a certain date (sometime in September) and you an upgrade to Snow Leopard for about £7.50. Does anyone know when this date is?

ReputationRep:
    When I bought my first MacBook last year, I was so close to not taking them up on the AppleCare protection scheme... it was a good job I did. It's usually like £200 I think and I got it for like £50. I can only assume it's still the same deal now! You can probably buy it on-line as well. The only thing to note is that when you buy it in store, you have to buy it at the same time you buy the MacBook. This is so that the protection scheme can register with the laptop (or, so I was told).

I know I've not been much use, but I figured I may as well have a crack at it!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about in store but online it is £46
    look here at the bottom
    http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_500072...mco=NjcxMTYxNQ

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need the applecare?

The reason it's so cheap for students is because any Mac bought with the student discount automatically comes with the 3-year hardware coverage; the £50 just extends the telephone support from 90 days to 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure to be honest but I think that with all laptops Apple offer 15% discount to students. But you will have to take evidence that you will be starting university (you ucas acceptance letter for example) or they wont give it to you.

ReputationRep:
    The price of applecare varies by about a tenner (from £49 - £59), depending on the computer you buy. You can buy it either online or instore, but it has to be bought at the same time as you buy the computer to get the huge discount.

And the Snow Leopard upgrade discount of £7.50 will run until Snow Leopard is released - I don't think there's a firm date for that yet.

ReputationRep:
    hmm... when my friend bought his macbook pro a few weeks ago applecare only cost him £43 in store... also the sales person kept mentioning a seperate 3 year warranty in addition to apple care, which realllly confused me.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK the warranty only includes parts whereas the applecare includes parts, labour and telephone support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123450)
    Why do you need the applecare?

The reason it's so cheap for students is because any Mac bought with the student discount automatically comes with the 3-year hardware coverage; the £50 just extends the telephone support from 90 days to 3 years.
    Really? Didn't know about that. Do you have a link that proves this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    It's my understanding that you get the three year extension automatically aswell. The extra cost is for phone support.

IIRC the discount for uni students is 14%, less if you are a college student.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's true. You get a free 3 year warranty, but you have to get an apple rep to assemble and put it in your basket if you order online.

Apple care basically only extends phone support. BUT if you are buying a desktop, it means Apple will come to you and collect it. If buying a iMac, I'd probably go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    http://www.apple.com/uk/education/nationalcontract/

Right hand side: 4. Special three year parts and labour coverage, with additional first-year warranty and support benefits, as standard

I've also read it in their education T&C before.

ReputationRep:
    I got my mac in January/February from an Apple store, I would presumably have it then right?

ReputationRep:
    i bought my mbp off the interwebs and its a 6% ish student discount, but if you go in store its 15% i think!
    i think as long as you're not a mong, you wont even really need AppleCare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Not sure about in store but online it is £46
    look here at the bottom
    http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_500072...mco=NjcxMTYxNQ

woah woah woah why is that so cheap?!? i bought my macbook pro off the site with the normal student discount, and upgraded to 250gb hard drive and it came to £883.15 ........ i wonder how difficult the refund process is, i might go into the store and get an extra 2gb of memory and £10 for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 888phoenix888)
    woah woah woah why is that so cheap?!? i bought my macbook pro off the site with the normal student discount, and upgraded to 250gb hard drive and it came to £883.15 ........ i wonder how difficult the refund process is, i might go into the store and get an extra 2gb of memory and £10 for free
    I'm not sure if it's the same for Mac hardware but I know that for PAYG iPhones they won't make refunds or even replace faulty items for brand new ones after 30 days of purchase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    I'm not sure if it's the same for Mac hardware but I know that for PAYG iPhones they won't make refunds or even replace faulty items for brand new ones after 30 days of purchase.
    Won't? I'm pretty sure it's more likely the will if it's within 30 days. Most retailers have at least a 7 day satisfaction guarantee.

Oh. Guess I'm wrong about the Applecare then. :p:
    I'd still get it for £49 though. It is cheap for 3 year phone support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Won't? I'm pretty sure it's more likely the will if it's within 30 days. Most retailers have at least a 7 day satisfaction guarantee.
    That's what I said :p: (admittedly in a round-a-bout way) "they won't make refunds or even replace faulty items for brand new ones after 30 days of purchase" Upto 30 days you should be alright for getting a full refund.

I should add to that though that beyond the money-back period they will still give you refurbished hardware to the same spec if it is in warranty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    That's what I said :p: (admittedly in a round-a-bout way) "they won't make refunds or even replace faulty items for brand new ones after 30 days of purchase" Upto 30 days you should be alright for getting a full refund.

I should add to that though that beyond the money-back period they will still give you refurbished hardware to the same spec if it is in warranty.
    Oh sorry, I read up to 30 days.
    I was so shocked for a second. After all Apple are known for very good support so not taking something back within 30 days sounded pretty stupid

ReputationRep:
    The million dollar question for me is if I were to get a job at an Apple store could I apply both my employee discount and my student discount? If what I've read is correct it'd give a whopping 39% discount on one of their systems per year.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.