Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When a solute dissolves in a solvent the new intermolecular bonds in the solution are stronger that those in the solvent alone. Right? Otherwise the solute would be insoluble.

So, the reaction is exothermic and the new strong bonds are going to result in a higher melting point which, considering water and salt (sodium chloride) the aqueous salt solution could be expected to have a melting/freezing point around 3 or 4 degrees C. But it doesn't - the melting point is, in fact, less than that of pure water :eek:

Is water a special case or am I getting something quite fundamentally wrong?

Please set me straight as this has been bothering me for the better part of a decade!

ReputationRep:
    http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/se...elts-ice.shtml

ReputationRep:
    Consider adding salt to ice. Ice has a nice ordered structure thanks to the way the polar water molecules hydrogen bond to one another.

If you add charged ions to this lattice, the water molecules become more attracted to these ions than to themselves. The water molecules then align themselves around the ions instead of sitting in their own lattice - effectively breaking up the lattice and so the ice melts. So the effect is a lower melting point.

In order to re-freeze the water these solvated ions need to be slowed down sufficiently so they can pack, which is done by lowering the temperature further.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.