Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible for me to take History as an A level, albeit me not having a GCSE in history?

Searched, couldn't really find anything relevant...

ReputationRep:
    Yup, shouldnt be a problem as long as you willing to work that little bit harder i knew people who did the same.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your school. I had a friend who was going to do this but because she didn't have a B in English Literature at GCSE she couldn't take it.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I did.

I asked this identical question last year, and was told that it is not important at all to have done history at GCSE, but you need to have done enough analytical essay-writing subjects such as English, RS, classical civilisation etc. to be able to make the transition easy.

At GCSE, you wouldn't have studied what you will be at AS in terms of historical subject matter, you would have just developed your skills of essay-writing and source analysis. If your formal English is good enough, you won't have any problems.

Definitely. You'll be doing a new syllabus, a new area of history and the exam questions are completely different.

ReputationRep:
    You can, you need to be good at essays though. If you're not that good, spend some time over the summer practising your essay writing technique, will do you many many favours

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen it as an AS option. You can pick History, just have a look at the prospectus though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanCatalyst)
    Is it possible for me to take History as an A level, albeit me not having a GCSE in history?

Searched, couldn't really find anything relevant...
    Yes, as long as your school is OK with it (they almost certainly will be).

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be absolutely fine. I took History at GCSE, and only one module in my History A level had anything to do with what I'd studied at GCSE. As long as you are comfortable and confident with writing essays and have enough analytical skills, you should be absolutely fine

Ruth xx

ReputationRep:
    If you have an interest in history, I'd say go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can. A girl I know did that and she did fine in the exams

ReputationRep:
    I didnt do GCSE history and took AS History. In my first Jan module I got an A and im only normally a C/D person.

So go for it

ReputationRep:
    shouldn't be a problem, I know quite a few people who've done it

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have a friend who wants to do History next year, and she's not taken History GCSE, so pretty sure you can do it, as long as you rember you COULD lose your place to somebody who did GCSE History, but it'll be rare, as History is rarely "all booked up"
    Good luck!
    Liz xx

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a History GCSE is not needed and will not really offer any extra benefits. I have no History GCSE and have been predicted A in history for my AS exams and did indeed get an A in the January exam. Don't worry, GCSE history isn't vital.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do it for GCSE and nest year I'm doing it for a degree So yes you can as long as you have at least done another humanities subject or do well at English as the entire exam is made up of essays.

Yes, it's possible. I was considering it but after reading all the panicked Facebook statuses of the GCSE History students... no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)
    Yes, it's possible. I was considering it but after reading all the panicked Facebook statuses of the GCSE History students... no thanks.
    You should read our panicked Facebook stauses for A2 History... now they're something"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.