The Student Room Group

Difference between BSc and BEng/MEng

I'm confused about what the difference between these are, if one is better than the other and what differences there are between the course content :s-smilie: The uni I want to go to only offers BSc. After a year of this can you transfer to BEng? Or after completing it can you do an extra year and get an MEng? Any help appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
What are the full titles of the BSc and BEng courses?
When I went for an interview at Imperial last year, in the introductory speech we were told the reason their qualification was BEng rather than BSc was because it meant that the deparment was given a larger sum of money...

Otherwise, I think if you look at the course content in specific universities, ones which give a BEng seem to be much more practically focused (eg. software engineering) like Southampton or York, whereas those offering a BSc are more theoretically focused (eg. foundations of computing and more mathematically related) like Oxford.

BEng = Bachelor of Engineering
BSc = Bachelor of Science
Reply 3
For some courses, there is a lower entry requirement for BSc courses then BEng courses. (You can check that with your course.) Also, when you study with a BSc course, you are learning the more scientific principals of that course while learning less engineering principals. I'm not 100% sure TBH, but I'm taking up a BEng/MEng course hopefully to become a fully accredited Ceng.
Reply 4
Well, MEng is obviously the 4 year course and includes a masters. My degree you could choose between a BEng or BSc and both courses were exactly the same - the difference is that a BEng is accredited by some engineering body (in my case, the IET) which I think adds more value to my degree by showing that
Reply 5
NavalChicken
When I went for an interview at Imperial last year, in the introductory speech we were told the reason their qualification was BEng rather than BSc was because it meant that the deparment was given a larger sum of money...

Otherwise, I think if you look at the course content in specific universities, ones which give a BEng seem to be much more practically focused (eg. software engineering) like Southampton or York, whereas those offering a BSc are more theoretically focused (eg. foundations of computing and more mathematically related) like Oxford.

BEng = Bachelor of Engineering
BSc = Bachelor of Science

its a messed up system isn't it, at an open day at exeter tremough, I was told their renewable energy BSc should really be classified as a BEng, but they got more money from it being a BSc.
is there a difference in which ( if any) professional bodies accredit the different titles ?
Reply 7
the question that we should ask is: "Is Computer Science even a part of engineering"? :smile:
newman24x
the question that we should ask is: "Is Computer Science even a part of engineering"? :smile:

These days its generally concidered to be more a part of engineering than science. However i doesn't make a damn bit of differnce to employers which you have tbh.
Reply 9
TheQueenOfComputerScience
These days its generally concidered to be more a part of engineering than science.

How so?
newman24x
How so?

Couldn't tell you, thats just what one of my lecturers said to me when I asked him about it.
Reply 11
Original post by gamer91
its a messed up system isn't it, at an open day at exeter tremough, I was told their renewable energy BSc should really be classified as a BEng, but they got more money from it being a BSc.

wt does this mean??? more money from being BSc, do u mean the university give more money to the department, or BSc is more demanded in employer's mind, ???

BSc or BEng is better?
The best degree either BSc or BEng is what you are prepared to invest in learning / mastering the knowledge of the subject and that you are of use to an employer! Experience gained before or as part of a sandwich degree will put you at an advantage. The project you choose and how well you do too. Being able to program in a number of engineering codes will do nicely as well. There must be a focus on what you want to put your engineering skills towards and remember when you start work you will practically know very little. Be humble and be prepared to learn. Having excellent communication skills and working together in teams is a must.
Original poster asked
Original poster asked "I'm confused about what the difference between these are, if one is better than the other and what differences there are between the course content".

Its not so much that the course content is different, its much more the method of teaching/learning that is different. BSc is primarily class based in which you learn engineering, science and math theory and get that learning reinforced by laboratory sessions. BEng is much more based on solving actual engineering problems which in turn develops critical thinking skills. A BEng still has class and lab work, but overall there is much more emphasis on learning through application to real problems.

I myself graduated with a BEng, have now worked as an engineer for 30 years in four different countries and teach part of a MSc Engineering program. In my experience, brand new graduates with a BEng degree have an easier time adjusting to their first engineering job (as a BEng is preparing you for that job) ..... but a year or so down the road its more a question of how well you can apply yourself than which degree you graduated with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending