Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to design a practical. "How does the wavelength of light affect the voltage produced by a solar cell?"

My teacher told me to find filter paper, but I don't know what he means. Can anyone suggest some apparatus to control the wavelegth of light reaching the solar cell?

ReputationRep:
    Colour filters. you know, like coloured pieces of plastic in front of a lamp :smile:

ReputationRep:
    They're these little, flat plastic things with the wavelength written on them. That's pretty much the only way I know how to do that practical.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I didn't think it would be that simple =) Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You could always move the lamp away from the cell really quickly [/joke]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarthBrini)
    Alright, I didn't think it would be that simple =) Thanks
    never, EVER say that about a physics practical!

ReputationRep:
    Didn't filters will only let certain wavelenghts through. use this method.

ReputationRep:
    Another way would be to use different coloured LEDs, they tend to produce much better monochromatic light than a filter can produce.
    Just make sure you check the voltage of each LED when wiring them up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehh)
    Another way would be to use different coloured LEDs, they tend to produce much better monochromatic light than a filter can produce.
    Just make sure you check the voltage of each LED when wiring them up
    The number of LEDs I've blown up... it's not even funny.

It's true that coloured filters don't let through monochromatic light. You can get hold of a spectrum profile for each filter; you'll probably find a window of about 50nm around the value stated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.