Turn on thread page Beta

Could you live without your parents? watch

• View Poll Results: Could you live without your parents?
    Yes, we're not very close and don't get on.
    36.62%
    No, we're close and I love them very much.
    63.38%

ReputationRep:
    Are you close to your parents? Do you feel they are 'good' parents? Do you love being with them, or can you not wait to move out?

ReputationRep:
    I would very happily live away from them, doesn't necessarily mean I want them to perish though :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I would very happily live away from them, doesn't necessarily mean I want them to perish though :indiff:
    Obv, the two don't go hand in hand.

Currently, yes I could. I don't really know my dad anyway, and my mum goes against my beliefs. She is quite sorted most of the time and I see her being ''sorted'' with future issues so for that reason I'd like her around but for reasons such as our views in life then no. But saying no is really unrealistic as she's my mother and always will be.I think what I'm trying to say is that one day physically not living with her-yes-I can do that right now but for the rest of my life? possibly not..cant comment much on the dad situation as I have NO idea at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    no..... i am very close to my mom.... if something happens to her i cant go on with life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I wish to live away, as far away as realistically possible. Hopefully close to a cinema :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lderan)
    I wish to live away, as far away as realistically possible. Hopefully close to a cinema :woo:
    How come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    Obv, the two don't go hand in hand.
    "could you live without your parents"

this could mean two things; could you live away from your parents, or could you survive [emotionally?] without your parents.

I could live without the parents, but not without their money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I could live without the parents, but not without their money.
    Same.

I'm flying across the world to come to uni (without parents) so hopefully I can live without them, but I love them to bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    "could you live without your parents"

this could mean two things; could you live away from your parents, or could you survive [emotionally?] without your parents.
    I could definitely live away from them, I've been doing it for six months and I haven't done too badly I don't think.
    Emotionally I can survive without my dad and I probably could without my mom but I wouldn't want to. If I lost the closeness I've built up with my mom I'd be upset, although a year ago this wasn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can definitely live away from them; I have done so for over 2 years now! Emotionally I couldn't survive without either of them; or my brother and sister. We're a very close family and I don't go a day without seeing them!

ReputationRep:
    I love my family and respect them a lot, but until I'm in my mid 20s I seriously desire independence and a chance to finally break free of my parent's control. At the moment I'm not necessarily in need of their emotional support, just financial...

Well i can't exactly "live" with my parents, so i can only hope me going off to uni changes that :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I dreamed last night that my mum had died and thus that I was an orphan.
    Yes, I could live, but I don't want to :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I could as in "I am more than capable of looking after myself" but I would hate to think that they weren't there - although I'm pretty glad to be moving out soon because of the arguments etc. between various family members, I still love them!

ReputationRep:
    I will have to live away from my parents. But I could never live without any contact at all. They're amazingly supportive and surprisingly entertaining. :awesome:. They're just generally great.

ReputationRep:
    I could probably live without them. I'm not entirely close to them. They're good parents and all but we're not entirely close.

Tbh I'm looking forward to moving out but I wouldn't want them to be gone.

ReputationRep:
    Err... it's interesting that I've never thought about this before... but yes, I'm worried about initially being away from them when I start university. I mean I think I'm pretty dependant on them right now... but at the same time I don't exactly have the most loving relationship with my parents... My mum's really controlling, not soft and pretty critical of me... and my dads got a bad temper... neither barely show much love to me and my brother. And so... I feel like I haven't had the same amount of freedom as most of the other people my age... but I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to react to that freedom as well... I'm not sure what it would be like...

So yes and no. That being said, I do love them and I wish I was closer to them as people and maybe as I become independent of them financially and don't have them around 24/7, they might change towards me?

ReputationRep:
    I could live by myself definitely...but I would still need their help with knowing stuff about what forms to fill in, taxes, money matters etc. for the first year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.