Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could you live without your parents? Watch

• View Poll Results: Could you live without your parents?
    Yes, we're not very close and don't get on.
    36.62%
    No, we're close and I love them very much.
    63.38%

ReputationRep:
    Well I have lived away from them for 5 years but I do love them. I do feel quite dependent on them emotionally in some ways as I usually speak to them at my lowest points. Without them I'd feel pretty lost. They just care more than friends. I used to think we weren't close and I suppose we're not that similar, but once I had 'bad things' happen to me I understood how important family can be.

I do have my sisters so if my parents died I guess we would help each other through it. I don't feel like I would be able to cope if they died but I suppose I probably would.

ReputationRep:
    I'm incredibly close to my parents and love them to bits, but at the same time, I've spent 2 years on and off travelling so can survive without them around. I'm looking forward to moving away for Uni.

It's going to sound trivial, but little things like my Dad sorting out my tax rebates n all that kinda stuff, he's got a firm financial head on his shoulders, I will be asking him to advise me with my first mortage and so on lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in contact with my parents.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but badly. I'm not at all close to either of them, however they help me a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    Are you close to your parents? Do you feel they are 'good' parents? Do you love being with them, or can you not wait to move out?
    I could live without them, as in survive do stuff for myself my dad is vrey much absentee father (parents divorced) and my mum doesn't really help me with much, i sort out everything for myself (which i thought was normal until friends told me their parents sorted out entirely their student finance, ucas application (part from personal statement obv), driving test, even booked their driving lessons!)

emotionally - I see my dad and talk to him about once a week but i don't really have any meaningful relationship with him in comparison to what i've seen of friends relationships with thier Dads, (i don't really respect him, and i don't rely on him for anything). If anything happenned i would be very very upset but honestly (and i know this is a terrible thing to say) I would miss friends much more than i would miss my Dad were anything to happen

- i would miss my mum a lot, but i could survive, and from a practical point of view the people saying they would die if their parents died must be exaggerating because in general children outlive their parents and most people have to go through losing them, and these people professing without parents they couldn't go on must know that?

and for the record can't wait to move out as i feel fairly claustrophobic living with her and sibling as house not huge but mainly because i am very different to them (in every possible way)

ReputationRep:
    I could live without my parents (in a few months when i am 16) but it would be a damn sight harder without their money. I love them to bits though and I'm not planning on moving out anytime soon - i get free food this way!

ReputationRep:
    I could do, quite easily I think. I've been brought up to be pretty independent, so I know how to do all the day to day things, I know how to sort out my bills and my forms and things. But I do need the financial support atm, and oddly enough, I like my mum :p:

Even if she does send me, and my boyfriend totally bloody nutty. If we're hanging out in my room for what she thinks is too long, she'll come up whinging "I'm looonely!" ARRRRRRRRRGH.

ReputationRep:
    I love my parents to bits, but moving out has made our relationship a lot closer, and many people do find that, i appreciate them more and we don't argue, EVER anymore lol. I think thats partly because i've grown up since moving out, and we have a much more adult relationship, instead of the parent-child relationship, my mum found it hard adjusting to it at first, and called me all the time, kept reminding me to do things, but 7 months on she's definately chilled out

ReputationRep:
    i Have lived with out my parents for 2 years now.. had to move out when i was 16 ... most people thinks it going to be so easy but originally it was very hard there is so much stuff you have to take charge of rent taxes shopping etc... its all good now ... regardless of how hard you tthink it is to live at home its a decition you shouldnt jump into...but being in charge of everything is an excellent feeling

ReputationRep:
    I could live away from my parents (and sometimes I want to be more independent!) but I do love them very much and we get on amazingly so I couldn't live without them

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite happily living without my evil dad and I don't need him at all. I can't live without my mum on the other hand as she's like my best friend. For that reason it's really hard being in another country without her.

ReputationRep:
    Am close to my mother, dad not so much.

But can and do live without them in the sense that i've lived away from home for 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    I get on really well with them now but I didn't when I lived at home. But then again I had problems at school and was depressed since I was 5 so I wasn't really in a 'getting-on-with-anyone' mood. I'm too stubborn to be told what to do and I hate people doing things for me, but now that I'm on my own we get on much better Even if I am in another country and don't see them very often.

I could live without them though. I'm not the kind of person to need anyone. Social recluse!

Yes. God yes.

ReputationRep:
    I don't live with them but I live in my mums house so financially she puts a lot in to it, I couldn't afford that place without her help.
    My dad employs me two days a week, again I couldn't afford rent, food, bills etc without him.

emotionally I think I would really suffer if my mum or dad disappeared. I'd cope, but it wouldn't be easy. I'm quite close to both of them.

I lived in the city for 6 months, didn't see my dad and only saw my mum twice but that was fine. I think as soon as I knew i'd never see them again that's when i'd struggle.

ReputationRep:
    those choices are pretty limited by the way, im very close with my parents,and still live with em when not at uni but i hate it, especially in the last few years they have started to really annoy me, they dont understand me and to often now i find conversation with them is forced, i still love them but i reckon i could quite easily live without seeing or hearing from them on a regular basis. In fact i enjoy talking to them more when im away at uni than i do when im at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * Brooke *)
    I could live without them, as in survive do stuff for myself my dad is vrey much absentee father (parents divorced) and my mum doesn't really help me with much, i sort out everything for myself (which i thought was normal until friends told me their parents sorted out entirely their student finance, ucas application (part from personal statement obv), driving test, even booked their driving lessons!)
    That's very odd - I sorted out university visits/ucas/student finance/driving lessons all my self, I would never in a million years have expected my mum to do it for me!!:eek: We're 18 for god's sake, if we can't sort our our own life now, we're bummed!

ReputationRep:
    yes, but only after a few tears here and there.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Where's the option for "YES, we're close and I love them very much."?

Loving my parents doesn't mean I'm codependent on them. Anyway, everybody could live without their parents.

ReputationRep:
    my parents are away at the moment...they've decided to leave me for 5 whole weeks...i can't cope...!!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.