Turn on thread page Beta

Unofficial website - does your uni match up to it's reputation? watch

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Have a look at the 'comments' section for your own university - they can be very illuminating, and sometimes amusing! They are comments left by students for students. Are the comments for your university as positive/negative as it's perceived reputation?

http://www.unofficial-guides.com/guides/

ReputationRep:
    I found this to be amazingly out of date.

ReputationRep:
    Some of them are a bit out of date, but it's still worth a look. Most of them have posts from 2009 and even if not, universities don't change much in a year or two.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at my towns uni[which I won't say:p: ] but general comments are ''it's a dump!'' vs ''it's not so bad'' LULZ.

ReputationRep:
    1997... ouch.

ReputationRep:
    Agreeing with the out of date thing. The comments and statistics about the university are all from approximately a decade ago. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, this site is ancient!

ReputationRep:
    In the Edinburgh section the comments seem to be about how to get in the uni and which course to apply to, to have the best chaces to get accepted because it's so hard to get in. And the other half of the comments are about people being worried the uni's full of yahs.

The page is outdated and the comments old, but nothing's changed really. That's still what new applicants worry about.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As others have said, it's very out of date. Additionally, the comments section isn't very helpful for Southampton since it's like 90% questions as opposed to any actual comments/reflections about the course or university. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster University isn't even on there. :p:

Technically though, anybody can write anything on there. It's hard to verify which comments are genuine.

ReputationRep:
    Heavily out of date. Aside from a few facts and figures being wrong however (due to the age of the review), it's a fairly good guide.

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was the most up to date of guides :p: but I look on it this way, comments are going to average out at about the same level of their perceived reputation (give or take the odd nutter) because people have nothing to lose by telling the truth as they see it. Universities aren't going to change much in people's opinions over a year or so.

Edit: Lancaster isn't on there because it was removed after one of the fore-amentioned nutters flooded the board :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.unofficial-guides.com/com...104df72bed1857
    Although not upto date it was nice to read that this ned wasn't welcomed with open arms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    Although not upto date it was nice to read that this ned wasn't welcomed with open arms
    :rofl: That guy's post was priceless

ReputationRep:
    The comments were really bad about the uni I want to go to... maybe I need to re-think =/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kitty Kitty)
    The comments were really bad about the uni I want to go to... maybe I need to re-think =/
    I really wouldn't base your university choice on that website.

ReputationRep:
    its very much out of data

the site talking about plans to build a new lecture hall at uni

that lecture hall has been built know for a few years, even the it says due to be finished 2006, so its a bit behind

but other then that, its pretty good, with the stuff about halls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    if ur a geek or a fat bird u should be fine

ReputationRep:
    the UEA comments are full of people asking if its true that everyone there is ugly lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.