The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It's very doable - my younger brother got low-mid 60s in his second year, but blitzed the 3rd with marks of 80-90+. Ended up with an 73 average (I think).

So very doable if you get your nose to the grind :smile:
Yep, I got a first and my second year average was 60!
Reply 3
I managed to get a 58.6 or something average for second year. Not seriously aiming for a first, but good to know that I REALLY should get a 2.1. It's double weighted towards final year, too, so as long as I do some work, I should be fine.
70.3% in third year, 70.6% in second year. I optimised the amount of time spent dossing!
It's totally possible. I would say a slim majority of my peers who got first in the final years got a mixture of low firsts and high 2.1s in the second year, with a high 2.1 average. They really got the hang of it in the final year :smile: (speaking personally though I went from 74 > 77, so not much difference...).
Reply 6
has anyone got or know anyone who got a 60% in an engineering degree in the second year, but then managed to get a first overall?
I averaged 67.3 in second year, and 72 in my third. Third year was worth double for me, though, so I got a First quite easily in the end.
Reply 8
Averaged around 75 in 2nd year.
Reply 9
MrGreedy
has anyone got or know anyone who got a 60% in an engineering degree in the second year, but then managed to get a first overall?

I got 60% in my second year. Going into my third so I need 72% next year to average a 1st. I'm going to do it. Only thing I'm slightly worried about is dissertation and group projects.
Reply 10
how many marks is a 1st/2 : 1 ?
Reply 11
EierVonSatan
Typically a 1st is 70% and a 2:1 is 60%.

Ty.
Reply 12
I really hope I can pull up my socks in time for final year, I averaged 67 this year but don't see the point if I don't get a first so I need to stop being so lazy! Got my year abroad to contend with first though... argh
not that I am hi-jacking the thread, but how similar are the exams at UNI with A-levels?
the_neg_master_
not that I am hi-jacking the thread, but how similar are the exams at UNI with A-levels?

In my experience so far, not very. My Ecology exam was 3 hours long, consisting of a choice 4 essay questions from 8 options, so nothing like A-level Biology. :eek3:
Reply 15
I got a high 2.1 in 2nd year, though I had a 4th year to pull it up.
Reply 16
shuvle
I got 60% in my second year. Going into my third so I need 72% next year to average a 1st. I'm going to do it. Only thing I'm slightly worried about is dissertation and group projects.

which uni and course?
doesnt your first year count?
i am also worried about group project because it counts a lot towards your final grade, I am just going to have to do really well in the exams!
Reply 17
hmm, thanks for the encouraging answers :smile:

this year I got 71 highest overall for a module and 52 lowest. For 1 module i got 75 in essay and 51 in exam. some 2:2 marks really dragged down the avg :frown:

my strategy for 3rd yr goes like this:

only pick modules & dissertation topic in areas where i got 1st and high 2:1s this year. i'm also gonna try to pick 20 credits of an beginners elective module in a language i've done before to a higher standard.

hopefully i should get my 1st at the end of it all.

Latest

Trending

Trending