Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you got a 1st, what did you get in your 2nd year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have 65 avg for my 2nd year marks in Philosophy and due to the way marks are weighted at my uni I would need 73 avg in 3rd year to get a 1st overall.

is that doable? and what marks did other people go into 3rd yr with and got a 1st at the end of it?

ReputationRep:
    It's very doable - my younger brother got low-mid 60s in his second year, but blitzed the 3rd with marks of 80-90+. Ended up with an 73 average (I think).

So very doable if you get your nose to the grind

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I got a first and my second year average was 60!

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get a 58.6 or something average for second year. Not seriously aiming for a first, but good to know that I REALLY should get a 2.1. It's double weighted towards final year, too, so as long as I do some work, I should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    70.3% in third year, 70.6% in second year. I optimised the amount of time spent dossing!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It's totally possible. I would say a slim majority of my peers who got first in the final years got a mixture of low firsts and high 2.1s in the second year, with a high 2.1 average. They really got the hang of it in the final year (speaking personally though I went from 74 > 77, so not much difference...).

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got or know anyone who got a 60% in an engineering degree in the second year, but then managed to get a first overall?

ReputationRep:
    I averaged 67.3 in second year, and 72 in my third. Third year was worth double for me, though, so I got a First quite easily in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Averaged around 75 in 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGreedy)
    has anyone got or know anyone who got a 60% in an engineering degree in the second year, but then managed to get a first overall?
    I got 60% in my second year. Going into my third so I need 72% next year to average a 1st. I'm going to do it. Only thing I'm slightly worried about is dissertation and group projects.

ReputationRep:
    how many marks is a 1st/2 : 1 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Typically a 1st is 70% and a 2:1 is 60%.
    Ty.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope I can pull up my socks in time for final year, I averaged 67 this year but don't see the point if I don't get a first so I need to stop being so lazy! Got my year abroad to contend with first though... argh

ReputationRep:
    not that I am hi-jacking the thread, but how similar are the exams at UNI with A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_neg_master_)
    not that I am hi-jacking the thread, but how similar are the exams at UNI with A-levels?
    In my experience so far, not very. My Ecology exam was 3 hours long, consisting of a choice 4 essay questions from 8 options, so nothing like A-level Biology. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I got a high 2.1 in 2nd year, though I had a 4th year to pull it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvle)
    I got 60% in my second year. Going into my third so I need 72% next year to average a 1st. I'm going to do it. Only thing I'm slightly worried about is dissertation and group projects.
    which uni and course?
    doesnt your first year count?
    i am also worried about group project because it counts a lot towards your final grade, I am just going to have to do really well in the exams!

ReputationRep:
    hmm, thanks for the encouraging answers

this year I got 71 highest overall for a module and 52 lowest. For 1 module i got 75 in essay and 51 in exam. some 2:2 marks really dragged down the avg

my strategy for 3rd yr goes like this:

only pick modules & dissertation topic in areas where i got 1st and high 2:1s this year. i'm also gonna try to pick 20 credits of an beginners elective module in a language i've done before to a higher standard.

hopefully i should get my 1st at the end of it all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.