Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i can never really tell when your being sarcastic. but the "bar" at barcap was too high for me. academics aren't great, no internship this summer. may as well try and apply for something (as opposed to one i failed before) and i really liked their insight day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleached)
    i can never really tell when your being sarcastic. but the "bar" at barcap was too high for me. academics aren't great, no internship this summer. may as well try and apply for something (as opposed to one i failed before) and i really liked their insight day.
    It's not the bar being too high, it's you having no USP.

Having said that, there are plenty of great corporate jobs out there. Really. I'm seriously considering some of them atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wsddc)
    neither

Barcap has not launched the "computer filter process" to our applications, which should be the first threshold. At that stage, their computer will automatically pick out those applications with decent "key words" and send rejections to the rest.

I used a proxy to submit a "junk application" to Barcap this Wed. Until now I have not recevied any rejection. Hence our applications are still in their database.
    Failed the numerical last yr (was the first ever one I took and really underestimated the time pressure) but last yr you could apply to GRCB too. Obvs 2nd time was a cruise. I filled in the 'previous apps' section about it so it's 'under consideration' now.

Do you reckon if my app is good enough HR will just let you though to numerical/verbal stage? Or would 'past performance' still mean they may automatically reject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    Do you reckon if my app is good enough HR will just let you though to numerical/verbal stage? Or would 'past performance' still mean they may automatically reject?
    Wait so if u have applied before and passed the numerical test before do you just skip that stage and are straight under consideration for phone interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    Wait so if u have applied before and passed the numerical test before do you just skip that stage and are straight under consideration for phone interview?
    Nah, not sure.

Last yr I applied to Barcap but failed the numerical - you had the option to apply to Barclays GRCB so did that and passed both numerical & verbal.

Was wondering whether if you failed the numerical last year they won't let you take it this year (i.e. just automatically reject) or whether the slate is wiped clean as such.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, not sure.
    So how come they dont just let the re applicants take the tests right after?

Was wondering whether if you failed the numerical last year they won't let you take it this year (i.e. just automatically reject) or whether the slate is wiped clean as such.
    That would seem like a stupid way of doing things, although if they are looking for anyway to dwindle down the numbers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    So how come they dont just let the re applicants take the tests right after?

That would seem like a stupid way of doing things, although if they are looking for anyway to dwindle down the numbers...
    For the reapplicants maybe they 'review' the app first.(comp questions, uni course, grades etc.) - pretty thin application if you ask me - no fat section in 'previous work experience/other information) and competencies q's are more 'business awareness' really.

Might be harsh if they do that! Seems so silly now failing a numerical but it was my first and I just ploughed on after finishing the app (first ever app). With GRCB I'm pretty sure I aced both numerical and verbal (verbal q's are basically repeated across loads of tests) but didn't mention GRCB reapp on my current BarCap form.

I remember last year they reviewed the GRCB apps before inviting you to online testing so maybe past results aren't taken into account. What do you reckon?

If you're looking for a long application form try BP Trading - it's a marathon.

ReputationRep:
    For the reapplicants maybe they 'review' the app first.(comp questions, uni course, grades etc.) - pretty thin application if you ask me - no fat section in 'previous work experience/other information) and competencies q's are more 'business awareness' really.

I remember last year they reviewed the GRCB apps before inviting you to online testing so maybe past results aren't taken into account. What do you reckon?

If you're looking for a long application form try BP Trading - it's a marathon.
    Yea the app was really short, the hardest part was fitting into a 90 word space.

The thing that I dont understand is why they would have a different procedure for re applicants, other than for those who where fast tracked. The case that they review your app before giving u the tests just for reapps doesnt make much sense, as its not like its more work for them to give everybody the tests. The only conceivable thing I can come up with is that:

a) if u passed before then you dont have to take them, which makes sense cuz the tests dont change too much.
    b)if u didnt pass they will make u resit the tests or worst case scenarion discard your app (and then exceptions would be made for ppl with good CVs, competencies etc, hence the time between before you get the tests)

bt honestly I have no idea whats going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    It's not the bar being too high, it's you having no USP.

Having said that, there are plenty of great corporate jobs out there. Really. I'm seriously considering some of them atm.
    but what kind of USPs do other people have? yah have been thinking about other corporate jobs available. its hard but i think if i didnt get one at a one of the prestigious ones then i may begin looking.
    how are you finding your internship? you not too keen on what your doing?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested, Barcap will start interviews Oct. 15th

ReputationRep:
    Phone interviews I'm guessing? With AC later that month?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bazc350)
    Phone interviews I'm guessing? With AC later that month?
    yea

ReputationRep:
    I submitted app for IBD yesterday and it went straight "under consid". Is that normal? or should the tests have popped up immediately?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    I submitted app for IBD yesterday and it went straight "under consid". Is that normal? or should the tests have popped up immediately?
    did you apply last year AO?

ReputationRep:
    applied for intern or grad?

ReputationRep:
    Chief Janitor Office [applied]

ReputationRep:
    I think you're lying to throw us off track - they outsource janitor stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, I've still not had a response. What is taking these people so long!?

ReputationRep:
    hhow many people have sent in applciations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleached)
    hhow many people have sent in applciations?
    I have

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.