Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    for barcap right? you interning anywhere this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleached)
    for barcap right? you interning anywhere this year?
    Yeah for barcap IB. yeah, I interned with a hedge fund as I am only in my second year (4 year course) and will be going into third.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.oct)
    I sent mine about a week ago, it went to 'under consideration' as well. I did online tests last year.
    i just submitted my wealth app. i havent been invited to do the test, but i did do it last year.

ReputationRep:
    any updates? i was told they have my results and i pass the test from last time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleached)
    any updates? i was told they have my results and i pass the test from last time.
    I havent heard anything, but that might be difference between Barcap and Barwealth.

Good luck btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    I havent heard anything, but that might be difference between Barcap and Barwealth.

Good luck btw.
    me neither.

How's GS? Fine-tuning?

ReputationRep:
    I had that results from last year email a few days ago (for BarCap).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    me neither.

How's GS? Fine-tuning?
    Since GS is not going through them until after the deadline Im gonna wait to apply cuz I know I can add some things to my CV. I guess its a sort of diversification, send apps at differnet points in time.

how bout u, can u contain the enthusiasm?

(Original post by bazc350)
    I had that results from last year email a few days ago (for BarCap).
    When did u apply?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=texex]Since GS is not going through them until after the deadline Im gonna wait to apply cuz I know I can add some things to my CV. I guess its a sort of diversification, send apps at differnet points in time.

QUOTE]

I'm worried that past test I mentioned can affect whether I'm permitted to take the test this time.

I'm fine tuning GS - will need to read up a little more on S&T for the Securiteis App - my 2nd choice is IBD though arguably quite diff. skills are required for the two so not sure how to fit that into 300 words.

Apart from that I'm delving in to FX Options (with my own capital shortly) - when it's your own money on the line you follow stuff pretty rigoruosly depending on what pairs you play with (I'm just looking at specializing in 2/3 - non-commodity linked - i.e. No USD/CAD, AUD/USD, NZD/USD) - less Bloomberg data to digest.

Which div. at GS are you into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    Since GS is not going through them until after the deadline Im gonna wait to apply cuz I know I can add some things to my CV. I guess its a sort of diversification, send apps at differnet points in time.

When did u apply?
    Last week around this time.

ReputationRep:
    So many GS fan boys here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    So many GS fan boys here.
    I would actually have a difficult time choosing between Barcap and GS. Although if I was ever in that position I would probably be too busy jizzing in my pants :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    I'm worried that past test I mentioned can affect whether I'm permitted to take the test this time.

I'm fine tuning GS - will need to read up a little more on S&T for the Securiteis App - my 2nd choice is IBD though arguably quite diff. skills are required for the two so not sure how to fit that into 300 words.

Apart from that I'm delving in to FX Options (with my own capital shortly) - when it's your own money on the line you follow stuff pretty rigoruosly depending on what pairs you play with (I'm just looking at specializing in 2/3 - non-commodity linked - i.e. No USD/CAD, AUD/USD, NZD/USD) - less Bloomberg data to digest.

Which div. at GS are you into?
    Securities for me as well. Good luck with the cover letter, I am having trouble enough fitting motivations for one division in the word limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    I would actually have a difficult time choosing between Barcap and GS. Although if I was ever in that position I would probably be too busy jizzing in my pants :yep:
    BC & GS in the same sentence? Really? Now I've seen it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)

Good luck btw.
    oh right, thanks. good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    If you're a good candidate on paper, GS will question you extra hard about your motivation for applying for the division (if you choose two different divisions on your app that is). And if you're not a good candidate, they won't even take the app seriously.

Point is if you're applying to GS, you should know which division you want to work in, as Securities and IBD are ridiculously different and each need a different skill set. Applying for both just makes it look like you're after a front office role and not seriously bothered which one, which means you're likely to get dinged. They don't even have a generic spring week.

That's what I've heard. Definition of what makes a "good candidate" is up to you to decide.
    not really. intern applicants are babies. they're not expected to have a life plan sorted already. indeed if they did, that would be worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    not really. intern applicants are babies. they're not expected to have a life plan sorted already. indeed if they did, that would be worse.
    I would think it would be hard for the interviewer to take the candidate srsly when stating his motivations for IBD when they put it as backup. In addition, there are gonna be way to many ppl with IBD as first choice, so in terms of competition alone it doesn't make sense, as there is still the possibility like KOZ said of getting dinged for not being focused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    I would think it would be hard for the interviewer to take the candidate srsly when stating his motivations for IBD when they put it as backup. In addition, there are gonna be way to many ppl with IBD as first choice, so in terms of competition alone it doesn't make sense, as there is still the possibility like KOZ said of getting dinged for not being focused.
    yeah but this ************ might be better than the competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    yeah but this ************ might be better than the competition.
    The technical knowledge for S&T and IBD are completely different though, so if his first choice is securities I would deeply question his IBD technicals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    The technical knowledge for S&T and IBD are completely different though, so if his first choice is securities I would deeply question his IBD technicals.
    HR want their candidates to be successful as they look bad if they put through numpties. It might therefore be in their interest not to tell the interviewer that you put down IBD as your second choice. Bare in mind that not all interviewers will be well prepared or will have even looked at your application prior to interview.

Just a thought anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.