Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    has anyone done the barcap verban reasoning test?has anyone passed it?
    i thought i did well but got rejected.lol.
    weird is it different from last years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord_Farquad)
    Has anyone heard back from Barclays? My app has been sitting for over a month now?
    No. Mine is still under consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Invites for grad fast track ACs (Sales and IBD) are going out this week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Yes, if it doesn't say 'don't include' GCSE's then I'd put them on. They like to know how you did in say, English Language, or Maths.
    Damn I left them out although GCSEs are in the CV.

ReputationRep:
    Invites for grad fast track ACs (Sales and IBD) are going out this week
    Out of interest who are these events for? Those with offers from BB's wouldn't move to Barcap so I'm assuming it's for those who didn't secure offers? Or those at second tier banks with offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexCash)
    Out of interest who are these events for? Those with offers from BB's wouldn't move to Barcap so I'm assuming it's for those who didn't secure offers? Or those at second tier banks with offers?
    You'd be surprised...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexCash)
    BarCap are going to be huuuuuge

ReputationRep:
    BarCap are going to be huuuuuge
    You just gave me a flashback to that Donald Trump Oreo advert with Eli and Peyton Manning.

Thanks a lot...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleached)
    i can never really tell when your being sarcastic. but the "bar" at barcap was too high for me. academics aren't great, no internship this summer. may as well try and apply for something (as opposed to one i failed before) and i really liked their insight day.
    http://news.students.efinancialcaree...wsItemId-21214

Not a bad choice to for BarWealth judging by that article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    http://news.students.efinancialcaree...wsItemId-21214

Not a bad choice to for BarWealth judging by that article.
    Frankly, I'd rather cut my own balls off than work in PWM.

edit: Increasing the number of places will not address the "talent shortage" because, as in the good times, only the applicants who don't have the self belief to apply to BarCap or BGI will go for the perceivably easier BarWealth option. Thus, increasing the number of places will only result in the increase in the number of mediocre graduates at BarWealth. If they really wanted to address the talent shortage they should have done what BarCap did a few years ago, and that is to offer 15-20% above the market rate as well as an aggressive marketing campaign to highlight their unique selling proposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)

edit: Increasing the number of places will not address the "talent shortage" because, as in the good times, only the applicants who don't have the self belief to apply to BarCap or BGI will go for the perceivably easier BarWealth option. Thus, increasing the number of places will only result in the increase in the number of mediocre graduates at BarWealth. If they really wanted to address the talent shortage they should have done what BarCap did a few years ago, and that is to offer 15-20% above the market rate as well as an aggressive marketing campaign to highlight their unique selling proposition.
    may i ask why?

also, why is BarWealth perceived as the 'easy option'? are they not that great compared to Merrill, Credit Suisse etc.?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    зачем ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FizFazFoz)
    may i ask why?
    2am
    rign ring
    "hello?"
    shouting "this is [client], go pick my estranged daughter up from club and bring her home asap, if she is not here in 10min you are sacked you peice of ****. Why the **** do I waste my money on you leeches if you can't even keep an eye out on my daughter? If I see that's she's taking drugs I don't know what I'll do to you..."the phone goes dead
    at the club
    "your father asked me to bring you home, he doesn't sound happy"
    "what? **** that old ************, he can't tell me what to do" said the girl poping another small white pill in her mouth
    "you have to come home, otherwise I'll get in trouble"
    "if you don't **** off, dweeb, I'll tell my father you groped me, then we'll see how you fare"

Is this the situation you want to find yourself in?

(Original post by FizFazFoz)
    also, why is BarWealth perceived as the 'easy option'? are they not that great compared to Merrill, Credit Suisse etc.?
    PWM has always been considered to be inferior to IBD, S&T and AM. Not taking anything away from Barclays, they are a top bank, it's just that they have wayyy more prestigious programmes available than the PWM one.

With your product/sector/country skills you can always move from IBD to PWM, but it's much harder to move the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    PWM has always been considered to be inferior to IBD, S&T and AM. Not taking away from Barclays, they are a top bank, it's that they have prestigious programmes available than the PWM one.

With your product/sector/country skills you can always move from IBD to PWM, but it's much harder to move the other way round.
    Do you know about hiring nos for PWM at other banks. I can't remember, but I think MS was like 2 or 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inflation)
    Do you know about hiring nos for PWM at other banks. I can't remember, but I think MS was like 2 or 3.
    I'm not an expect on this but from I've been told: - The big European shops always hire a good number. But mostly from European schools (where people speak 2+ langauges) and usually into tax-friendly places (mostly Switzerland, Jersey, Isle of Man). US banks don't really have much of a presence in the European market so they don't recruit much.

BarWealth, Coutts and to a lesser extent Cater Allen are UK-centric shops which means that they recruit a lot from UK universities, unlike say UBS or CS who recruit mostly from continental Europe.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expect on this but from I've been told: - The big European shops always hire a good number. But mostly from European schools (where people speak 2+ langauges) and usually into tax-friendly places (mostly Switzerland, Jersey, Isle of Man). US banks don't really have much of a presence in the European market so they don't recruit much.

BarWealth, Coutts and to a lesser extent Cater Allen are UK-centric shops which means that they recruit a lot from UK universities, unlike say UBS or CS who recruit mostly from continental Europe.
    Thanks. Good reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    BarWealth is almost certainly 'easier' to get into than BarCap (or old BGI). A friend from Leeds uni got a place in the last recruitment cycle into the grad scheme, hadn't done an internship there. Not a slight on Leeds uni by the way, just I don't think you'd have made it into BarCap as a grad last year from there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    BarWealth is almost certainly 'easier' to get into than BarCap (or old BGI). A friend from Leeds uni got a place in the last recruitment cycle into the grad scheme, hadn't done an internship there. Not a slight on Leeds uni by the way, just I don't think you'd have made it into BarCap as a grad last year from there...
    You'd be surprised. Looking at BarCap's intern class this year they took front office from a number of solid, but not target UK unis... Exeter, Birmingham, Bath, L'boro etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)

when i was there, someone mentioned people from tiny arts schools such as St Marys who do degrees in drama etc. there was a guy from LSE and one from Durham i think..

But uthinkilltellu seems very very competitive, i just need/want a grad job that is quite respectable amongst "normal" people i.e. not the elite in IB :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleached)
    when i was there, someone mentioned people from tiny arts schools such as St Marys who do degrees in drama etc. there was a guy from LSE and one from Durham i think..

But uthinkilltellu seems very very competitive, i just need/want a grad job that is quite respectable amongst "normal" people i.e. not the elite in IB :o:
    Apologies, I wasn't trying to be condescending at all. Of course BarWealth is highly regarded their expansion is a testament to that, and PWM is still considered to be one of the 'high-finance' cadre.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.