Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is going to the cinema alone perceived as a bit sad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Nah, who cares? If there's a film I want to see and nobody else does, or nobody else has the time to watch it, I'll just pop down to Parkway by myself and enjoy a little me time.

ReputationRep:
    I do... i mean, its not a very sociable experience is it?

ReputationRep:
    Aw, I dont think you should feel self-concious at all. Lots of people do it. I would go, if I felt I wanted to watch a film on my own - in fact I might even go see Twilight: New Moon on my own, becos none of my friends like it, nor does my husband! Altho the only thing Ill be self-concious about is the fact that it will be full of teenage fangirls haha.

We once took our two eldest boys to see Happy Feet, and the place was almost empty. There was one other couple with kids, and a woman on her own. I asked her if she wanted to sit nearer to us, and we struck up a nice convo about the film at the end.

x

ReputationRep:
    nope

ReputationRep:
    I prefer it

ReputationRep:
    I went to the cinema on my own once agessss ago.
    It was rather quiet though so wasn't too bad there were only like 3 people in there.:p:
    It was coming to the end of that film being shown anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I worry about going on my own incase I'm the only person in the cinema.

ReputationRep:
    I had the excact same thing, i would go to cinema by myself if I had to wait for someone or I had time to kill and then one day someone said to me, why do u go alone? And then I thought... is it wierd? :\
    But don't feel conscious. Why should u care what other people think, if they give u stares or whatever? going to the cinema alone is awesome, u don't have to share food and u can usually sit where u want

besides if u go with someone u always run the risk of them talking non stop throughout the movie

ReputationRep:
    Who cares if other people think you're weird? You're not, you just want to watch a movie! I like doing things alone though it is awkward being in a restaurant alone. You don't know what to do when waiting for stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Nah not weird, I went to see Transformers 2 on my own was pretty good by myself. Got the odd stare because I was horrified by what I was seeing. Who cares what people in the cinema think anyway, likelyhood is you will never see them again so who gives a rats ass if they think your a loner or not.

ReputationRep:
    I had this conversation with my mum the other day. Personally I think it is but it depends on the film!. One time I saw a 40 year old business man on his own when I went to see John Tucker must die which I found a bit odd :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Just the other week my ex stormed off when we we're out shopping and stuff and I already bought tickets for Drag Me To Hell, I just went in and watched it anyway. How can anyone judge? They don't know why you're there alone.

EDIT: ....and the cinema was full of people talking, laughing far too much and too loud (film wasn't that funny) and there was almost a fight between 2 groups of friends. I wish the whole cinema was people by themself!! I missed the whole goat sacrifice bit!!

ReputationRep:
    I worked in a cinema, lots of people go alone, it tends to be those with unlimited movie cards though, I guess it seems more normal/justified that way. There are lots of social norms and such not really based on any logic.
    Can't remember a single time anyone commented on anyone going to the cinema alone.
    Judgement is reserved, ike any retail or custy service place, for awkward, smelly, rude, arrogant etc. customers!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's weird. Many would say it's not exactly the social convention, but who cares really. You're there to watch the movie, besides whenever I do go with my friends we barely talk during the actual movie, it's only during going there/coming back when we talk. I can't stand going with people who insist on talking constantly during the movie, so sometimes I do actually go by myself.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not. I go to the cinema a lot by myself, especially those perceived to be 'heavy' or the emotional packed ones. Tbh, I only go to the cinema with friends to watch comedy films or rom-coms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    I've never had many friends, and certainly not enough friends for there to be someone available anytime I want to go and see a film. In the past I've been to the cinema alone and never thought much of it, however, on occasion people stare and only recently I've learnt that in the minds of many people, going to the cinema alone is something to be avoided and makes one appear a loner.

I know I should do what I want to do, but I'm reluctant to go alone now as I feel people in groups (ie the majority) will think its weird and I will be concious that people are staring at me and being condecending.
    hmm, whenever I go to the cinema I'm usually too excited about seeing the film to notice who's with who. and plus when the lights come down, it's too dark to tell anyway. so don't be so conscious. people are probably not thinking what you think they might be thinking. :]

ReputationRep:
    I go to the cinema on my own sometimes. Then again I adore being on my own I've started to not care about what people think as long as it can't affect my life (like at work, uni, etc!).

ReputationRep:
    All my friends live miles away and I don't really have any friends from uni that I hang out with outside of class and so recently I've been going to the cinema alone.

I've got to say that I felt fine about it. Sitting in the dark it doesn't really matter that much. Going to Nandas alone afterwards on the other hand is something I will not be doing again though :no:

ReputationRep:
    No, I do it all the time out of choice! I love going in the middle of the day. You get to really see the movie when the cinema is almost empty. It's great. Who cares what other people think? Just enjoy yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    in fact I might even go see Twilight: New Moon on my own, becos none of my friends like it
    Me too :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.