Turn on thread page Beta

Is Japan worth visiting? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel Japan is worth visiting over other destinations in the Far East? Is visiting Japan a good experience as many people hype it up to be, or is it pretty over-rated?

I guess this question is very subjective, and at the end of the day, most places are worth visitng, but when you factor in that it costs significantly more to visit Japan than many other Asian destinations, is it worth it even with that concideration.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    it looked pretty awesome on america's next top model.

ReputationRep:
    I went there a few summers ago with my brother, and it was super cool, although we traveled all over the place so its definatly worth getting a rail pass (you can get everywhere by rail, from nagasaki to tokyo to the base of mount fuji(you have to walk to rest of the way, although you can bus part of it))

Id definatly go there again, there was alot to see, we were there for about 3.5 weeks and it felt as if we had just chipped the surface

ReputationRep:
    I think yes - culture, social behavior, tea ceremony (not to mention high tech stuff, buildings, nature) legends and those little shrines ....
    But i guess China or Singapore are worth it too :>

but if you plan on going for a week - don't go....you will only travel and see, not experience, which is a waste of money and time...try going for more than a week .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    Do you feel Japan is worth visiting over other destinations in the Far East? Is visiting Japan a good experience as many people hype it up to be, or is it pretty over-rated?

I guess this question is very subjective, and at the end of the day, most places are worth visitng, but when you factor in that it costs significantly more to visit Japan than many other Asian destinations, is it worth it even with that concideration.

Thanks
    Hey! Definitely! Japan has culture like no other- if you like what you've heard about Japan, the best way to find out is to go. Though very few Japanese people speak English so you might have a hard time communicating.

Also I would check out Hong Kong, Thailand, etc. Hong Kong is absolutely brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and it doesn't cost that much. Less than Europe, N America, the middle east, Australia, and any developed Asian nations (Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan S Korea). I wrote you a good post on your last thread if your considering it now :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Yes, and it doesn't cost that much. Less than Europe, N America, the middle east, Australia, and any developed Asian nations (Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan S Korea). I wrote you a good post on your last thread if your considering it now :top:
    Depends what part of Europe. I'd say it was about the same as Scandinavia and Northern Europe. Tokyo is the same as Sheffield in terms of costs tbh. Japan is is expensive, although certain things are much cheaper than in the UK and vice-versa. It sorta balances its self out.

Keep in mind that most Asian currencies are not as favourable to the pound as they once were. The value of the yen has diminished by a quarter over the past year. If you said this in 2006, I might have agreed with you, but not now.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Japan a couple years back, and it was amazing. The food, culture and the general way of life is sooooo different. You get a small culture shock when you go there as everyone is so polite, everything is so clean, and everything is so punctual. But yeah it is definitely worth visit. If u plan to go, dont just go to Tokyo. Get one of the magnetic train rail passes and visit Mount Fuji (where u can get the most awesome spa pools) and Osaka etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guy_incognito)
    Depends what part of Europe. I'd say it was about the same as Scandinavia and Northern Europe. Tokyo is the same as Sheffield in terms of costs tbh. Japan is is expensive, although certain things are much cheaper than in the UK and vice-versa. It sorta balances its self out.

Keep in mind that most Asian currencies are not as favourable to the pound as they once were. The value of the yen has diminished by a quarter over the past year. If you said this in 2006, I might have agreed with you, but not now.
    I don't know I've only ever been to western Europe :top: Tokyo is cheaper than Sheffield. Goodluck finding a hostel in Sheffield with good dormatories let alone cheap food. You can get fantastic dormatories in Tokyo for as low as £12.5 (2000JPY) - thats cheaper than London or any UK city (that I've searched). Food is cheaper in Tokyo, transport is cheaper in Tokyo, site entrance fees are cheaper in Tokyo. The only thing that isn't cheaper is alcohol from my experience. I live in London so comparing the two cities I can say with quite a large amount of confidence, Tokyo is far far more economical for the budget traveler.

True, but this can be applied to almost anywhere in the world. America is expensive for us, Europe is vv expensive (hence why London has literally turned into Paris in the last year lol). Exchange rates aren't going to drastically increase your budget though, definitely not more than £5 per day (I don't doubt you could still easilly get by on £30 per day in Tokyo, I was fine on £25).

EDIT: To be honest I found Tokyo the cheapest city in Japan. The food is the same price, yet entrance fees are largely free (as oppose to Kyoto!) and it has the cheapest acommodation out of all Japan.
    EDIT2: The only way its more expensive now is if food prices have literally doubled. Accommodation prices are still the same (excluding change in exchange rate)

ReputationRep:
    A million times yes, you won't regret going there. It's one of the best places I've been in my life! We went to Tokyo then travelled to Kyoto, and both were very awesome (in the old sense) in very different ways!
    But that's quite a subjective view, so if you don't like, you know, the orient... it may not be for you.
    It was great to be the tallest person in a whole street at the age of 16 though /endstereotyping (though that happened)

ReputationRep:
    Hell freakin' yes! Japan's Tokyo is absolutely mind blowing. So futuristic and all but still with the traditional japanese culture. It's a great country, definitely a tourism hot spot. It's not even a question, yes yes yes!

I think Hong Kong is better though, see sig

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.