Turn on thread page Beta

"Ministers take far-right fight to estates" watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1765878.html

The proposals include:

*Holding "open and honest" discussions to allow residents to air grievances without being accused of racism, while tackling immigration "myths";

*Tackling segregation by bringing together people from neighbouring, but ethnically distinct communities;

*Focusing a £1bn new jobs fund on the areas, offering jobs and work experience for unemployed young people;

*Fostering more community leaders, who can help local authorities to respond to the concerns of communities;

*Forcing local authorities to be more transparent on social housing policies.

Will it have any impact?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)

Will it have any impact?
    Likely not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1765878.html

The proposals include:
    [I]
    *Holding "open and honest" discussions to allow residents to air grievances without being accused of racism, while tackling immigration "myths";
    And what happens when these "residents" (read: interfering busybodies, local bores and loud-mouths with dodgy opinions) turn up en masse to make racist remarks and repeat myths - trusting their source rather than politicians?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, or a complete irrelevance depending on how "open" these events really are.

ReputationRep:
    The proposals include:

*Patronizing white working-class people

ReputationRep:
    I think it could be a good idea. Something needs to be done. It could go some way to dispelling the myths that these people hold. It has possible problems, as stated above but worth a shot.

Being from a white working class background I can say it wouldn't patronise me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm working-class and it would patronise me.

"Holding "open and honest" discussions to allow residents to air grievances without being accused of racism, while tackling immigration "myths" "

In other words, treating people like five-year-olds because they hold an opinion you don't agree with

*Tackling segregation by bringing together people from neighbouring, but ethnically distinct communities;

but it has to be long-term. discussions are all well and good, but not if they end up with nothing changing.

working-class people do feel disadvantaged by the system, as they always have been. working-class people experience the reality of large scale immigration and they can't escape it, unlike the upper class who can afford to go and live in a bubble

ReputationRep:
    That's the problem with this country. The government try something to solve the problems we all moan about, but we just say "It'll never work. The government are ****."

Give it a try!

ReputationRep:
    And what about the poor immigrants, I think they experience the reality of large scale immigration the most. And get abused for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)
    And what about the poor immigrants, I think they experience the reality of large scale immigration the most. And get abused for it.
    At least most of them have somewhere to go home to :rolleyes: Lol 'poor immigrants'? I could just as easily say 'poor white working-class people'. See, if i were upper class, I could afford to live in a community with rich people and send my children to a school with middle-class children in. I could afford to just drive through ethnic districts with my car doors locked. If I were an MP, I could happily live in my bubble, the only aspects of 'multiculturalism' I would see would be the positive. Everyone shakes your hand when you're an MP, regardless of if they're an immigrant.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a hugely diverse area. And I can safely say that I have never experienced any of the 'problems' of immigration. Maybe it's just all down to your viewpoint. Some people just don't like people who are different to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)
    I live in a hugely diverse area. And I can safely say that I have never experienced any of the 'problems' of immigration. Maybe it's just all down to your viewpoint. Some people just don't like people who are different to them.
    Immigrants aren't aliens. A lot of people have concerns about fragmentation, segregation, crime, marginalization of white working class people, etc. Just because you claim there are no 'problems' in your 'hugely diverse area', doesn't mean everyone in the country feels the same

ReputationRep:
    The people most in support of mass immigration are the ones that live furthest away from it, get rich with their cheap labour and get their kicks from calling other people racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    Immigrants aren't aliens. A lot of people have concerns about fragmentation, segregation, crime, marginalization of white working class people, etc. Just because you claim there are no 'problems' in your 'hugely diverse area', doesn't mean everyone in the country feels the same
    I was in no way trying to say that that's how everyone feels, so why mention that? No two people have exactly the same viewpoint. I'm just disclosing mine.

I was tring raising the view that maybe the problem lies in a deep rooted dislike of diversity and change.

ReputationRep:
    Can i just say **** the white working class they are the most backwards people in our society and also some of the lowest achieving. these people should not be appeased they should be challenged and if they don't like it here they can leave.

ReputationRep:
    I find it amazing how New Labour have made so much effort to wipe out and demonize certain political views, they have developed a climate where murdering Islamic terrorists are treated with more respect and sensitivity on the media than BNP members. When a police man or other government worker can loose their job for being found to be a member of the BNP, a legal political party, it is a very scary situation. And yet, the British government will critize Mr Mugabe for his percecution of MDC members. Oh the irony.

Also, this government inititive to try and combat far right views on estates sounds very much like "re-education" something that wouldn't be a million miles away from Nazi German society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Can i just say **** the white working class they are the most backwards people in our society and also some of the lowest achieving. these people should not be appeased they should be challenged and if they don't like it here they can leave.
    I think you need to drown yourself

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to drown yourself
    Thinking isn't your strong point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Thinking isn't your strong point.
    Nor yours, judging by your posts

ReputationRep:
    WITE PEOPLZ DRInK AlKAHOL!

ASIaN PEOPUL WORK HArrrD

ReputationRep:
    WITE PEOPLZ DRInK AlKAHOL!

ASIaN PEOPUL WORK HArrrD

I have shown a source which shows white working class people are some of the lowest achievers in british society. I can also show you many links showing the effect of binge drinking in british culture. You are the one who makes anecdotal evidense up...

Probably because you're white and working class and a failure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.