Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"If Ron Paul was ever elected, he would be assassinated." watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntoineUK)
    Foreign affairs is what makes a country powerful. Just look at the cold war , The USSR was only powerful because it was spending billions on it's military.

That doesnt make any sense at all. Saying foreign affairs is what makes a country powerful is an incredibly vauge conclusion. What i think you mean is foreign policy, which is still a vauge term as it does not specify what kind of foreign policy or where.

Personally i think that American foreign policy since WWII has been one giant mistake after another. Heavy interventionism and disregard for their constitution means that presently, America is hugely overstretched both militarily and financially, there are around 750 US military bases world wide, many of them causing resentment and hostility, the best example being the stationing of troops in Saudi Arabia, which is considered sacred holy land by muslims, and has been used as a specific reason by Osama Bin Laden for Islamic aggression against the US and the subsequent 9/11 attacks. Also, many of those billions you cite as being spent on the Soviet military was lent to them by the USA throughout the cold war as part of US foreign policy. To say that American foreign policy over the last 50 years has made them stronger and better able to defend themselves is like saying that an individual is better able to defend himself with an unbearable weight strapped to his back than he would be with no burden.

With regards to Ron Paul, if he is to be successful in 2012 (fingers crossed:grin:) The CIA will have to act fast seeing as part of his policy is to disband the agency..

ReputationRep:
    I too, really like him, but he has no chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    Ron Paul has always striked me as being a man in the wrong party. He claims that his views are traditional Republican views, but in the modern day Republican party, I'd say ideologically he'd be more at home with the Democrats.
    Democrats are all about raising taxes and growing the size and scope of the government. I'd say Ron Paul is more of a libertarian than a democrat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harris)
    Well usually stupid people assasinate leaders, and stupid people vote for Ron Paul.

So no he would be fine as no smart person would try to assasinate him.

Wow.....What sound logic you have:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Wow.....What sound logic you have:rolleyes:
    He's a Neocon. They say stupid things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)

Whats a neocon again? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Whats a neocon again? :p:
    An ex-Trotskyite.

ReputationRep:
    An ex-Trotskyite.

I was joking....

ReputationRep:
    JFK was on the verge of completely changing the Federal Reserve...

Ron Paul is one of the few people who understand how messed up the monetary and banking system is and is one of the best presidents USA could have had.

ReputationRep:
    Ron Paul would be assassinated if he was voted president (assuming presidents are voted) because he is against the plans of the elite; one world government. Ron Paul speaks out against the New World Order.

That's why he would be assassinated.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you caught me

ReputationRep:
    Ron Paul is a true American. He is the only American Congressman who refuses to pass any bills if they clash with the Constitution. He is a libertarian, so believes in the core values of America: Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

He was also voted the most conservative member of Congress. So there is hardly a reason for Republicans to support him (apart from the fact that he refuses to intervene in problems that aren't his!)

Ron Paul is the real American politician. I doubt anyone who knew is opinions would assassinate him.

If he runs for President, I shall move to America and vote for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    Ron Paul is a true American. He is the only American Congressman who refuses to pass any bills if they clash with the Constitution. He is a libertarian, so believes in the core values of America: Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

He was also voted the most conservative member of Congress. So there is hardly a reason for Republicans to support him (apart from the fact that he refuses to intervene in problems that aren't his!)

Ron Paul is the real American politician. I doubt anyone who knew is opinions would assassinate him.

If he runs for President, I shall move to America and vote for him.

I'll come with you :five:

ReputationRep:
    Probably, but American security services would make sure he was never elected in the first place. The man's an absolute fascist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Probably, but American security services would make sure he was never elected in the first place. The man's an absolute fascist.

How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    No, libertarianism is the complete opposite of authoritarian fascism.

Look at his policies, you will change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Where he really differs with most politicians is on foreign policy. I'm sure a lot of people will love what he says here, but is it realistic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Where he really differs with most politicians is on foreign policy. I'm sure a lot of people will love what he says here, but is it realistic?
    I think it is much more realistic than having over 700 US military bases established worldwide trying to police the globe.

This is one of my favourite Ron Paul debates. Guiliani and Hannity try to pull the unpatriotic card on him and he shoots them down with sound reasoning and logic. It honestly leaves me speechless how people (especially presidential candidates!) believe that terrorists are attacking us because we are free, and get to eat mcdonalds and watch fox news. But as soon as you mention western aggression towards the Isalmic world you are unpatriotic and against the troops. If anyone is against the troops it is those who are willing to send them to die for unjust reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is much more realistic than having over 700 US military bases established worldwide trying to police the globe.

This is one of my favourite Ron Paul debates. Guiliani and Hannity try to pull the unpatriotic card on him and he shoots them down with sound reasoning and logic. It honestly leaves me speechless how people (especially presidential candidates!) believe that terrorists are attacking us because we are free, and get to eat mcdonalds and watch fox news. But as soon as you mention western aggression towards the Isalmic world you are unpatriotic and against the troops. If anyone is against the troops it is those who are willing to send them to die for unjust reasons.
    But to blame it all on our policies is not accurate either. No one wants to say it because it is not PC, but radical interpretations of Islam (jihad, and the koran's hostility towards non-believers) have a great deal to do with why they are attacking us too. Ron Paul wants to just blame it on policy and I think that's naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    But to blame it all on our policies is not accurate either. No one wants to say it because it is not PC, but radical interpretations of Islam (jihad, and the koran's hostility towards non-believers) have a great deal to do with why they are attacking us too. Ron Paul wants to just blame it on policy and I think that's naive.
    Radical Islam plays a part, but the question remains, why has the rise of Islamic extremism only seen this surge since the end of WWII and the beginning of heavy American intervention in the middle east? Ron Paul doesn't just blame it on policy, he says himself in that clip that he doesnt just blame USA foreign policy but that we must acknowledge it has played a massive part in creating the hate that leads to Islamic extremism. How else would you explain it, it is simple cause and reaction.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.