Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"If Ron Paul was ever elected, he would be assassinated." watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Radical Islam plays a part, but the question remains, why has the rise of Islamic extremism only seen this surge since the end of WWII and the beginning of heavy American intervention in the middle east? Ron Paul doesn't just blame it on policy, he says himself in that clip that he doesnt just blame USA foreign policy but that we must acknowledge it has played a massive part in creating the hate that leads to Islamic extremism. How else would you explain it, it is simple cause and reaction.
    Because following WW2 they had the billions of petrodollars to carry out the attacks and fuel their growth in population. And I'm not sure there was that much of an upswing anyway. There were no foreign policies that I'm aware of could ever come close to explaining the genocide against the Greeks and Armenians.

ReputationRep:
    I feel Aeolus' logic is kind of weak. You keep saying that after WW2 they attacked us, but America and the West intervened long before WW2. You can look at the Balfour Declaration as one example, the Peel Commission, World War 1 had Middle Eastern fighters as well....

I also don't buy this petro dollar notion whatsoever, and I feel Ron Paul doesn't either.

I do give you guys credit as I previously thought Ron Paul was an idiot but I've started to like his libertarian policy on how the government should stay out of the lives of individuals.

My only issue with RP is on foreign policy. I am Neo-Conservative mainly because I believe America should be strongly supporting Israel. I also do not believe that if America left the Middle East the hatred would go away and Islamists would lay down their arms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harris)
    I also do not believe that if America left the Middle East the hatred would go away and Islamists would lay down their arms.
    Why because "they hate us for our freedom" ? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, blaming anti western hostility on an 'evil ideology' as Blair used to is just a convenient way of excusing their own actions. Al keeda states US the presence of US troops in Saudi is a major grievance of theirs.

Using this excuse is basically akin to saying the Islamists are mad and cannot be reasoned with, just like you average commie hey? And cause they can't be reasoned with, we have to go and fight them over there so they don't come over here. It's very repetitive.

If people don't have any major grievance they are far to busy getting on with their own lives to engage in anything violent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tucker672)
    Why because "they hate us for our freedom" ? :rolleyes:
    Well for starters they view the west as infidels, who treat women innappropiately and are a sex-obsessed culture. They have jew-hatred enshrined in their cultures, and have cowardly leaders who cry that America is the cause of their pains in an effort to deflect their public from realizing that their backward Islamic law mixed with opressive leadership is the true posion ivy.

You really think if the West pulled out Al-Qaeda would just stop? Hamas would stop? Hezbollah would stop? Iran's nuclear program would stop? That's very naive.

1/7 British Muslims feel the london bombings were justified...these people are crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh

Apologies in advance for the highly dissected post

Well for starters they view the west as infidels, who treat women innappropiately and are a sex-obsessed culture.
    whatever their views of the west they are not necessarily universal or even particularly different from Europe pre-liberalism. The point is to work with them to change their ideals, not to fight them
    They have jew-hatred enshrined in their cultures
    Most modern islamic anti-semitism derives from Israel and associated or percieved pro-Israeli actions. Anti-semitism is not the issue it once was in Christian Europe
    You really think if the West pulled out Al-Qaeda would just stop?
    Not neccesarily stop, but certainly abate. Al-qaeda's activity has been directly correlated with the US's action in the middle east. Whatever your thoughts on the 'terrorists', ultimately, they (along with everyone) want to get along with their lives.
    Hamas would stop? Hezbollah would stop?
    These are Israeli issues, not issues towards america so they're irrelevent to the debate in hand.
    Iran's nuclear program would stop? That's very naive.
    Iran's nuclear program (if it exists), is more to do with deterring Arab invasion than anything else
    1/7 British Muslims feel the london bombings were justified...these people are crazy.
    Yay for idiotic wording of surveys...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.