Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i've destroyed a really great friendship Watch

sorry, this might be a long one.

back at the start of uni i fell for a girl who was in my crowd of friends. she was beautiful, intelligent, funny and a really lovely person. all the other guys in our group thought she was hot and she could have had any guy she wanted but i was the one who really felt something strong for her. she'd broken up with a long term boyfriend just before she came to uni and it was obvious she was still hurting over it. regardless, i liked her from the moment i met her and it just grew stronger over time. i never told her about these feelings.

she was involved with a few guys at the beginning of uni, going on dates and stuff, which i could see were mainly rebounds although she denies this. we began to get alot closer as friends and spent quite alot of time together just messing about and just chatting. it was at this point that i confided into a guy friend of ours that i thought i was in love with her. he looked at me like i was crazy and told me i had no chance (i'm not an attractive guy) and that i really shouldn't tell her.

then her ex came back into her life apologising and begging for a second chance. he was everything that i'm not. he was tall, muscular, good looking and a fireman for gods sake. she pretty much fell back into his arms and they lived happily ever after. it hurt seeing them together although she'd never shown any interest in me as more than a friend . i can't describe how much it hurt when we went on nights out as a group and he came along and they were laughing and cuddling and kissing. when they went back to her room at night, i would lay awake for hours torturing myself that they were having sex and falling asleep in eachothers arms (which they probably were).

all our other friends adored this guy. they invited him to guys nights out, xbox championships and i just couldn't get away from him. after they'd been back together for about a month i told her i loved her. i don't know why i did it tbh. she looked so shocked and stammered something along the lines of having to go meet a friend for lunch and left. later that day, she knocked on my room and sat down and told me that she loved her boyfriend and had only ever thought of me as a friend (which i knew) and that she was sorry. i told her it was fine and we could still be friends but i knew we really couldn't because i realised that all along i'd clung onto the hope that she might want me back and that now i needed to get over it.

after that, i started to avoid her a bit. i hung out with other friends and stopped texting her asking her to do stuff. she seemed a bit upset at this but didn't say anything. she carried on in her perfect little life with her fireman boyfriend and her adoring friends while i was unhappy and miserable. she stopped trying to talk to me and hang out with me because whenever she tried i was short and dismissive because i couldn't stand the thought that she would never be mine.

now its summer and i haven't talked to her since i left uni. i miss her alot and i want to know if theres any way i can be friends with her now. or get over her because i know i'm not. sorry for the long post. i just need some help. i'm lonely and i love her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

back at the start of uni i fell for a girl who was in my crowd of friends. she was beautiful, intelligent, funny and a really lovely person. all the other guys in our group thought she was hot and she could have had any guy she wanted but i was the one who really felt something strong for her. she'd broken up with a long term boyfriend just before she came to uni and it was obvious she was still hurting over it. regardless, i liked her from the moment i met her and it just grew stronger over time. i never told her about these feelings.

she was involved with a few guys at the beginning of uni, going on dates and stuff, which i could see were mainly rebounds although she denies this. we began to get alot closer as friends and spent quite alot of time together just messing about and just chatting. it was at this point that i confided into a guy friend of ours that i thought i was in love with her. he looked at me like i was crazy and told me i had no chance (i'm not an attractive guy) and that i really shouldn't tell her.

then her ex came back into her life apologising and begging for a second chance. he was everything that i'm not. he was tall, muscular, good looking and a fireman for gods sake. she pretty much fell back into his arms and they lived happily ever after. it hurt seeing them together although she'd never shown any interest in me as more than a friend . i can't describe how much it hurt when we went on nights out as a group and he came along and they were laughing and cuddling and kissing. when they went back to her room at night, i would lay awake for hours torturing myself that they were having sex and falling asleep in eachothers arms (which they probably were).

all our other friends adored this guy. they invited him to guys nights out, xbox championships and i just couldn't get away from him. after they'd been back together for about a month i told her i loved her. i don't know why i did it tbh. she looked so shocked and stammered something along the lines of having to go meet a friend for lunch and left. later that day, she knocked on my room and sat down and told me that she loved her boyfriend and had only ever thought of me as a friend (which i knew) and that she was sorry. i told her it was fine and we could still be friends but i knew we really couldn't because i realised that all along i'd clung onto the hope that she might want me back and that now i needed to get over it.

after that, i started to avoid her a bit. i hung out with other friends and stopped texting her asking her to do stuff. she seemed a bit upset at this but didn't say anything. she carried on in her perfect little life with her fireman boyfriend and her adoring friends while i was unhappy and miserable. she stopped trying to talk to me and hang out with me because whenever she tried i was short and dismissive because i couldn't stand the thought that she would never be mine.

now its summer and i haven't talked to her since i left uni. i miss her alot and i want to know if theres any way i can be friends with her now. or get over her because i know i'm not. sorry for the long post. i just need some help. i'm lonely and i love her.
    i lol'd at bolded since u never had her in the first place, good read would read again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Don't chase it. There isn't any point pursuing something like that at your age. Why bother? Let her go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tastes.like.lemonade)
    i lol'd at bolded since u never had her in the first place, good read would read again.

He might mean want him as in has the same feelings towards him
    Just at a wild guess

ReputationRep:
    sounds like marcus from big brother...

ReputationRep:
    Text her out the blue and stop being a ****, man up, choke your emotions and just be mates.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.