Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so right now

I weigh 77kg which is roughly 11 to 12 stones and a dress size 16 I want to be a size 8..... hopefully in a years time... My fitness levels are really low.... so I want to start with a fitness video any recommnedations?

I have been recommended billy blank but if so which one?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?crn=210

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren.../dp/B001U9FDP2

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of him. But lots of people recommend Davina's DVDs. I personally recommend any of the Ministry of Sound Pump It Up DVDs, great soundtracks to.

ReputationRep:
    A Beautiful Behind
    Womb Raider
    Schindler's Fist
    Shaving Ryan's Privates
    Glad he ate her
    Driving Into Miss Daisy
    Riding Miss Daisy
    Batman in Robin
    Blowjob Impossible
    Dyke Hard
    Star Whores
    Sorest Rump
    Edward Penishands
    Gangbangs of New York
    On Golden Blonde
    How Stella Got Her Tube Packed
    In Diana Jones and the Temple Poon
    Saturday Night Beaver
    Sick Degrees of Penetration
    Legally Boned
    Throbin Hood (Prince of Beaves)
    When Harry Ate Sally
    Romancing The Bone
    Lord Of The G-Strings
    White Men Can't Hump
    Ocean's 11 inches
    American Booty
    Pulp Friction
    Swollow Hal
    Spankenstein
    Breast Side Story
    Blown in 60 Seconds
    Buffy The Vampire Layer
    Buttman and Throbbin'
    Rambone
    Sperms of Enderarment
    School of ****
    Free My Willy
    Sperminator

ReputationRep:
    Davina's dvd is imo one of the best, gives you a fab easy workout and theres no need for any add ons etc, plus davina is fun and cool anyway lol

ReputationRep:
    No. fitness dvd's are scams and are for the most part complete bull crap, and definitely aren't the key to weightloss.

You need:

1. HIIT.
    2. A freeweights regime.
    3. caloric deficit.

rippetoe suggested the right weights regime.

HIIT is easy, just do a bit of googling.

Calorie deficit = learn your maintenance/BMR using the 'harris-benedict' equation (google) and the eat between 500-1000 kcal below it. 500 ensures that you lose 1 lb a week, and 1000 is 2 lbs a week.

the last one is the ONLY EVER guaranteed way to make you lose weight, as long as youdo it right. the exercises are to make sure you maintain lean mass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    No. fitness dvd's are scams and are for the most part complete bull crap, and definitely aren't the key to weightloss.

You need:

1. HIIT.
    2. A freeweights regime.
    3. caloric deficit.

rippetoe suggested the right weights regime.

HIIT is easy, just do a bit of googling.

Calorie deficit = learn your maintenance/BMR using the 'harris-benedict' equation (google) and the eat between 500-1000 kcal below it. 500 ensures that you lose 1 lb a week, and 1000 is 2 lbs a week.

the last one is the ONLY EVER guaranteed way to make you lose weight, as long as youdo it right. the exercises are to make sure you maintain lean mass.
    hi thanks for that I will definitley do that.... thank you.... but the exercise my biggest problem... my fitness is soooo poor therefore the most I can do is walk no stop at a slow pace for hours... or bike ride at normal pace for about 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs thats why someone recommended an exercise video and I thought that sounds good.... any exercise you could recommend then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgirl)
    hi thanks for that I will definitley do that.... thank you.... but the exercise my biggest problem... my fitness is soooo poor therefore the most I can do is walk no stop at a slow pace for hours... or bike ride at normal pace for about 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs thats why someone recommended an exercise video and I thought that sounds good.... any exercise you could recommend then?

i was like you a few months ago, now i can run a few miles on a treadmill, and my fitness is so much better, so it will improve, just start off small

I started off doing aqua aerobics, swimming which were really good on my joints as they were swollen, got the heart going but also relieves some pain aswell meaning you can go on for longer, plus aqua aerobics is a fun class!

I also enjoy the cross trainer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    I personally recommend any of the Ministry of Sound Pump It Up DVDs, great soundtracks to.
    I second this, especially the first pump it up DVD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph708)
    I second this, especially the first pump it up DVD
    You're a guy?!?

ReputationRep:
    ********. you just have no will power.

HIIT is the main one i reccommend, it'll massively increase your CV fitness in no time, and it works on the principle of you working at YOUR maximal intensity, meaning anyone can do it.

You can do it with a treadmill, in a park, or in your own garden. you just need ~10 metres space.

2 ways to do it:

method 1: the popular way on this forum, is to get on treadmill/bike/rowing machine, and run for a specific amount of time (say 2 minutes) a a very high speed, practically sprinting. this is then followed by a minute or so of lighter jogging kind of running for recovery. this is repeated for up to 20 minutes.

Method 2: my preferred method, is simply running at your maximum effort a certain distance, usually in a shuttle format (like, on a basketball court, running to half court and back, then full court and back, then full court and back, and half court and back again, which adds up to about 125 metres) afterwards you stop, and rest for 30-60 seconds, and repeat. in both methods you are meant to be on your knees at the end, i normally find this more true for the second method.

So yer, i'd recommend you do something like the second method as it works at your own pace, not someone else, so you can ALWAYS do it.

ReputationRep:
    Proper fitness videos certainly arent a scam.

I'd wager most our fitness regulars would struggle to do 60 mins of a Tae-Bo advanced (Billy Blanks) on full pelt with perfect form.

Real hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    You're a guy?!?
    umm no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)

I'd wager most our fitness regulars would struggle to do 60 mins of a Tae-Bo advanced (Billy Blanks) on full pelt with perfect form.

Real hard work.
    so you would recommend billy blank maybe say 3?

ReputationRep:
    so you would recommend billy blank maybe say 3?
    I have no idea about his current DVD range or how good/hard they are.

I think I have Get Ripped/Energize (old ones) on DVD, and they're not bad.

Best thing would be to get one with some beginner/intermediate/advanced workouts on and just see how you fair.

ReputationRep:
    max and paddys power of two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Davina's dvd is imo one of the best, gives you a fab easy workout and theres no need for any add ons etc, plus davina is fun and cool anyway lol
    I own this! But I find it so difficult to complete. I do about 15 minutes, start off thinking it is a breeze, slow down and kick weakly, and finally collapse on the couch

But, anyway, which do you prefer? Super sculpt or super fit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)

Real hard work.
    I would, I would struggle to breathe through the fits of laughter.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Is the guy on the right a villan from a late 80's early 90's martial arts film?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.