Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it okay (healthy) to lose 1 stone in 3 to 4 weeks?

ReputationRep:
    that depends on how big you are, if you're rather obese then you do tend to loose a lot in the first few weeks, It took me, if i remember right, about 2 months to loose a stone, at 2-3lbs loss a week, you should be aiming to loose 1-2lbs a week steadily as its more likely to keep it off and much healthier

ReputationRep:
    ********!

You should not aim to loose anything! You should aim to get fitter and healthier through training and sensible balanced diets, in doing this the body will take care of itself.
    All this 1-2lbs crap is exactly that!

ReputationRep:
    Not really no, besides most of that weight would be due to water loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    ********!

You should not aim to loose anything! You should aim to get fitter and healthier through training and sensible balanced diets, in doing this the body will take care of itself.
    Different things work for different people. If you are overweight a fair amount, you know that a certain lower number is going to be healthier for you. And it also helps to be able to set a monthly goal and have something to aim towards. If you're eating better and doing more exercise achieve your target, which is how you should do it, with the weight coming off you you'll also be healthier.

If you're 16 stone, aiming for 12 stone isn't a problem. It's healthier!

So what if people's main aim is to lose weight, be healthier and look better?

On subject a stone in a month sounds a bit much... you're better off going for the "1 - 2 lbs" because if you lose it slowly it's more likely to stay off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepinkpowerranger)
    Different things work for different people. If you are overweight a fair amount, you know that a certain lower number is going to be healthier for you. And it also helps to be able to set a monthly goal and have something to aim towards. If you're eating better and doing more exercise achieve your target, which is how you should do it, with the weight coming off you you'll also be healthier.

On subject a stone in a month sounds a bit much... you're better off going for the "1 - 2 lbs" because if you lose it slowly it's more likely to stay off!

77lbs lost!!! well done chick, makes my 22lbs seeem really pathetic, hopefully after my exams and im back on here it'd be my 44lb loss goal! good luck with that last half stone, im stuck in my 'stone and a half lost' rut atm, trying to remotivate

ReputationRep:

Out of interest how much did you weigh?

ReputationRep:
    1: Different things work for different people.
    2: with the weight coming off you you'll also be healthier.
    3: because if you lose it slowly it's more likely to stay off!
    4: If you're 16 stone, aiming for 12 stone isn't a problem. It's healthier!
    1: No, they do not. It is very very simple you see calories in < calories out will result in a loss of mass, with sensible eating and training one can ensure this is predominantly fluid and fat loss rather than lean tissue. The "different things for different people" is a poor womens mag excuse for fatties not reaching thier goals.

2: How so? If you are 20 stone @ 40% bodfyfat and loose 'weight' as you say you can loose 4 stone and still be 40% bodyfat and still a massive health risk.

3: Why is that then, whats is the scientific reason behond that?

4: Not nessesarily

ReputationRep:
    Powerlifters right for the most part.

The 1-2 lbs thing is because thats the general recommended healthy limit before you start losing lean mass. the calories in<calories out, is just to make sure you lose weight. if theres a 1000 kcal difference day by day, you lose 2 lb a week, 500 dif is 1 lb a week.

if your bigger you can lose it faster.

the most important thing is that you see results, you're happy with them, and you are HEALTHY while losing and after losing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    Powerlifters right for the most part.

The 1-2 lbs thing is because thats the general recommended healthy limit before you start losing lean mass. the calories in<calories out, is just to make sure you lose weight. if theres a 1000 kcal difference day by day, you lose 2 lb a week, 500 dif is 1 lb a week.

if your bigger you can lose it faster.

the most important thing is that you see results, you're happy with them, and you are HEALTHY while losing and after losing.

plus enjoying it, i think, for me thats been the biggest factor, im enjoying loosing it, im enjoying the diet im on, and excercise doing, so it doesn't feel a chore

ReputationRep:
    1: No, they do not. It is very very simple you see calories in < calories out will result in a loss of mass, with sensible eating and training one can ensure this is predominantly fluid and fat loss rather than lean tissue. The "different things for different people" is a poor womens mag excuse for fatties not reaching thier goals.

2: How so? If you are 20 stone @ 40% bodfyfat and loose 'weight' as you say you can loose 4 stone and still be 40% bodyfat and still a massive health risk.

3: Why is that then, whats is the scientific reason behond that?

4: Not nessesarily
    1. I meant psychologically; people think and feel differently. I totally agree that calories in < calories out = mass loss.
    2. Even in that case surely the health risk will be less. Also most people who aim to lose "weight" are aiming to lose fat, not just see a number get smaller.
    3. In my experience some of my friends have lost loads of weight, then a few months later it's all back and sometimes a little more.
    4. Okay agreed... it depends. (Because everyone is different... :p: )

I don't want an arguement. I'm just saying that if having a target weight helps people eat healthier and exercise and overall have a healthier life, what's the harm?

Also, it worked for me.

To the poster that asked: last January I was 16 stone or a little over, now I am 10 and a half.

ReputationRep:
    ********!

Yeh, right, practice what you preach and all that. There is evidence that steroids are detrimental to health but it doesn't stop some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screwyouguysimgoinghome)
    Yeh, right, practice what you preach and all that. There is evidence that steroids are detrimental to health but it doesn't stop some people.
    I do thanks, but I'm not trying to loose "weight"

ReputationRep:
    1. I meant psychologically; people think and feel differently. I totally agree that calories in < calories out = mass loss.
    2. Even in that case surely the health risk will be less. Also most people who aim to lose "weight" are aiming to lose fat, not just see a number get smaller.
    3. In my experience some of my friends have lost loads of weight, then a few months later it's all back and sometimes a little more.
    4. Okay agreed... it depends. (Because everyone is different... )

I don't want an arguement. I'm just saying that if having a target weight helps people eat healthier and exercise and overall have a healthier life, what's the harm?

Also, it worked for me.

To the poster that asked: last January I was 16 stone or a little over, now I am 10 and a half.
    1: Fair enough
    2: People who carry more muscle mass with a similar bodyfat are more resiliant to illness etc, so the 'Skinny fat' girls with high bodyfat are in a more dangerous position than heavier girls with the same bf% due to the body having resources in the way of muscle to use and breakdown in defence.

3: This is simply people loosing 'weight' as in fat and muscle mass, then due to lower metabolic rates from less muscle and lack of dietary efficiency they gain more fat by eating the same volume of food.

4:

ReputationRep:
    The only reason i'd see why you'd want to lose weight in a certain time is that your participating in a sporting event that requires you to be in a certain weight class.

ReputationRep:
    You people seriously need to listen to powerlifter, because he's right.

Far too many people are just concerned with whatever number the weight shows, however this is an inaccurate way of checking up on your health, doctors generally think that the "gestalt method" is the best one, that is: Look in a mirror and judge.

If you're obese, and lose a given amount of weight, yet keep the same body fat percentage, you've just become more predisposed to serious illness, why?

Because muscles release an enzyme that breaks down fat, even in a resting state. In a resting state (as in completely resting, not even performing daily activity) each pound of muscle burns about 13 calories a day. (when doing regular daily activity, it's about 50 calories a day per pound of muscle).

The more lean mass = the more fat-breaking enzyme is released = less vulnerable to health & lifestyle-related disease.

Don't lose weight improperly, don't lose lean mass!

Do a cardio + strength training combination, then you'll build up (or at least not lose) lean mass, while losing unhealthy fat

ReputationRep:

As I was scrolling through this thread I noticed your ticker thingy.
    SEVENTY SEVEN pounds? Holy Cow:eek3: that is intense!
    Am promptly going to your blog to see how you managed to do it, oh great one...

But I digress. 1 stone in 1 month, you say? THat's approximately 14/15 pounds...
    15 pounds in 4 weeks- that's like a 4 pound weight loss per week! Considering you need to lose like, 3800 calories (or something) per pound of fat you lose I would say it is... fairly unrealistic to be able to cut, through eating less and exercising more, (4x3800=15,200) calories a week for four weeks in a row!!!

1 stone in 2 months, on the other hand, would still be a struggle but much more attainable. (cutting 1900 cals per day- achieved through 800 calorie work out + no snacks etc... perhaps. and thus losing 1.75 pounds/week).. hm. Do you think that's doable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supergirl182)
    As I was scrolling through this thread I noticed your ticker thingy.
    SEVENTY SEVEN pounds? Holy Cow:eek3: that is intense!
    Am promptly going to your blog to see how you managed to do it, oh great one...

But I digress. 1 stone in 1 month, you say? THat's approximately 14/15 pounds...
    15 pounds in 4 weeks- that's like a 4 pound weight loss per week! Considering you need to lose like, 3800 calories (or something) per pound of fat you lose I would say it is... fairly unrealistic to be able to cut, through eating less and exercising more, (4x3800=15,200) calories a week for four weeks in a row!!!

1 stone in 2 months, on the other hand, would still be a struggle but much more attainable. (cutting 1900 cals per day- achieved through 800 calorie work out + no snacks etc... perhaps. and thus losing 1.75 pounds/week).. hm. Do you think that's doable?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.