Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Here is an article which everyone should read. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Kevin Barnes from a band called Of Montreal wrote this article a couple of years ago. It truly is a mind opening article. He comments on insane social attitudes and the realities of a capitalist system, when his fans responded very negatively to him getting a song aired onto an advert, and being paid to do so.

Selling out isn't possible.

And of course for everyone who is either to lazy to read, or wants to flame this thread with ill informed replies, here is a summary of what he has to say.

The moment you attempt to live within the confines of a social order, you become a sell out. If that's true, then selling out is a good thing. It is an important thing. If we didn't do it, we'd be f***ed, quite literally, by everyone bigger than us physically who found us f***able.

The second we try to earn a living wage or, god forbid, promote our art in the mainstream, we are placed under the knives of the sanctimonious indie fascists. Unfortunately, there isn't some grand umbrella grant that supports indie rockers financially and enables us to exist outside of the trappings of capitalism.
    The thing is, I like capitalism. I think it's an interesting challenge. It's a system that rewards the imaginative and ambitious adults and punishes the lazy adults. Our generation is insanely lazy. We're just as smart as our parents but we are overwhelmed by contradicting ideas that confuse us into paralysis.
    When capitalism is working on a healthy level, everyone gets their **** sucked from time to time and no one gets their throat slit. It's impossible to be a sell out in a capitalist society. You're only a winner or a loser.
    Either you've found a way to crack the code [of capitalism] or you are struggling to do so.
    I spent seven years not even existing at all in the mainstream world. Now I am being supported and endorsed by it. No one's going to want to use one of my songs in a commercial five years from now, so I've got to take the money while I can. It's the same with pro athletes. It's not like Michael Vick is going to be receiving any big endorsement deals anytime soon.

As sad as it may seem, one of the few ways most indie bands can make any money whatsoever is by selling a song to a commercial. Very very few bands make enough money from album sales or tour revenue to enable themselves to quit their day job.
    Next time you see a commercial with one of your favorite bands songs in it, just tell yourself, "cool, a band I really like made some money and now I can probably look forward to a few more records from them"
    We all have to do certain things, from time to time, that we might not be completely psyched about, in order to pay the bills.

ReputationRep:
    If they really loved the music they wouldn't worry about the amount of money they earn.

ReputationRep:
    Babby tries to justify his selling out. Does not succeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    If they really loved the music they wouldn't worry about the amount of money they earn.
    Everyone needs some money to survive. Thats all hes worried about. If you read the article, he explains this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    Babby tries to justify his selling out. Does not succeed.
    Did you even read any of the article? Why doesn't he 'succeed' in his 'justification'?

He quite cleverly and accurately referred to people with a mindset such as yours as 'sanctimonious indie fascists'.

ReputationRep:
    No, selling out is when the quality/style of your product changes as soon as you "sell out"...
    -o like number of tracks on album drops from 15 to 10.
    -o no booklet inside because it costs too much money
    -o only a few good songs on the album instead of all of them because you wanted to keep some good ones for the next one

It's true, however much we hate it/don't want it to be true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    Did you even read any of the article? Why doesn't he 'succeed' in his 'justification'?

He quite cleverly and accurately referred to people with a mindset such as yours as 'sanctimonious indie fascists'.
    because shock horror you can actually make a lot of money as an artist without giving yourself up to corporations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    because shock horror you can actually make a lot of money as an artist without giving yourself up to corporations
    such as?

ReputationRep:
    such as?
    having a spine and telling your record label to **** off when they dictate what kind of music you will make from now on

ReputationRep:
    The most famous I know of probably being Immortal Technique and more recently Josh Freese, who don't have a record label full stop. Others include artists who have formed their own record labels without the inherent structures of a capitalist corporation, labels like Rhymesayers and Good Vibrations. Also open source music labels like Magnatune and Calabash. You don't have to look very hard to find strong independent labels that are not tied to any of the majors, or popular artists speaking against the system such as Amanda Palmer.

ReputationRep:
    some
    I think some is the keyword here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    I think some is the keyword here.
    i don't understand how does of Montreal selling a song to a commercial make them a worse band? at least this way they'll have enough money to make more records.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    You think they can survive on nothing but the air they breathe?

ReputationRep:
    The problem with bands 'selling out' isn't the fact that they're making money, moving into the mainstream, and getting their songs put in adverts. It's the fact that their music inevitably changes as dictated by the whims of their producers. Bands go from producing good quality music that attracted their core of fans in the first place to producing mass produced industrial slurry, you end up getting albums with only a couple of decent songs at best. So you have good bands with a lot of talent unfortunately just churning out utter crap to keep up with the record labels demands.

ReputationRep:
    (Pinocchio)
    I got no strings to hold be down
    To make me fret or make me frown
    I had strings, but now I'm free
    I got no strings on me

[Verse 1]
    Step into the club smoothly with a L in my hand
    *****es know that I'm a freak like the elephant man
    Intelligent plans
    **** a record deal, I want development land
    With my benevolent clan
    And that's the reason that I only trust my fam
    40,000 records sold, 400 grand
    **** a middle man, I won't pay anyone else
    I'll bootleg it and sell it to the streets my self
    I'd rather be that than signed and stuck on a shelf
    And because of this executives try to diss me
    Racism frozen in time like Walt Disney
    And now they say they wanna get me signed to the majors
    If I switch up my politics and change my behavior
    Try to tell me what to rhyme about over the beat
    ***** ****** that never spent a day in the street
    But I repeat that nobody can hold my reigns
    I put the truth on tracks *****, simple and plain

(Pinocchio)
    I got no strings, so I have fun
    I'm not tied up to anyone
    They've got strings but you can see
    There are no strings on me!

[Verse 2]
    I guess to America I'm a disaster
    A slave that was destined to own his masters
    Independent in every single sense of the word
    I say what I want, you ****** little sensitive herb
    This is America, I thought we had freedom of speech
    But now you want try to control the way that I speak
    And O'Reilly you think that you a patriot?
    You ain't nothing but a ************ racist *****
    Fulla hatred, pressin a button trying to eject me
    But I ain't got no ************ deal with Pepsi
    No corporate sponser telling me what to do
    Asking me to tone it down during the interview
    Tryin' to minimize the issue, but I'm keeping it large
    I love the place that I live, but I hate the people in charge
    Speakin is hard when you got strings attached
    So I'm a say it for you 'cause I ain't got none o' that
    And if you didn't understand what I spit at your brain
    Ayo son, let this little ***** explan:

(Pinocchio)
    I got no strings to hold be down
    To make me fret or make me frown
    I had strings, but now I'm free
    I got no strings on me

Come on son, y'all ****** know the way I do
    Immortal Technique dot com live for you
    And I know sometimes it be making you nervous
    The way I snatch puppet rappers that belong in a circus
    You ************* just can't compare
    Looking for a fan base that's no longer there
    I know that you're scared, and you're hidin' up in the cut
    But this is freedom of speech *****, tell 'em what's up

Word *****, **** John Ashcroft! *****, **** Fox News!
    **** those snake-ass *****es Tryin to manipulate your opinion, tellin you what to think
    Word the **** up, like "we invaded ****** 'cause we want to free them"
    You racist motha *****, you don't give a **** about those people
    You can suck my ****!!

ReputationRep:
    ^^

haha this guy know whats what

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    You think they can survive on nothing but the air they breathe?
    They make money through gigs etc, selling of their songs not selling themselves to labels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    They make money through gigs etc, selling of their songs not selling themselves to labels.
    Did you even read the article?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Did you even read the article?
    No.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.