Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Here is an article which everyone should read. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I always took 'selling out' to mean a detriment in the quality of music produced due to an increase in popularity, caused by a musician's conscious attempt to alter their sound in order to appeal to a more mainstream audience (see King of Leon).

In the case stated, I don't personally know anyone who would have a problem with their favourite band's music featuring in an advertisement. I also don't know anyone who would use the term 'sell out' in this sort of way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    I always took 'selling out' to mean a detriment in the quality of music produced due to an increase in popularity, caused by a musician's conscious attempt to alter their sound in order to appeal to a more mainstream audience (see King of Leon).

In the case stated, I don't personally know anyone who would have a problem with their favourite band's music featuring in an advertisement. I also don't know anyone who would use the term 'sell out' in this sort of way.
    I'd say the Kings of Leon have got better and better through each album.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)

You don't know any morons at all?

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with the article. I think a lot of people also confuse 'selling out' (to the MAN) with 'selling out' to the audience.

Take Green Day for example. They made Warning, a fairly experimental (in their terms) album, and it wasn't very successful. Then they made American Idiot and it was incredibly successful, and they made a ****-ton of money from it.
    So what do they do? They don't take another chance- they see what works, what makes them money, and they take that concept and re-do it, re-package it, rewrite the same songs, and sell what is essentially the same product again (21st Century whatever it's called).

It happens with lots of bands who are afraid to test the balance between what music they want to make and what music their audience wants to hear.

That, I think, is worthy of criticism.

ReputationRep:
    I understand why people do sell out but it's the fact that they have to sell out that I despise. Social conditioning from the media brings bad taste to the masses; music has become simpler with false emotion, basic or no chord sequences and talentless digitally enhanced vocals. If society was not presented the same dull style of music day in, day out, teens would develop their own sense of style and taste. Music is extremely powerful; the churning out of uninspiring music borders on mass supression.

ReputationRep:
    I think the article makes some very valid points, but it DOES seem a very bizarre feeling when a song - which could, in the past, have made you feel a certain way, remember certain things, emotions that will stay in your subconscious forever - instead makes you think about a new car, or a food chain. I appreciate the necessity of bands to play into the system, but it is kind of saddening.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.