Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So far: have you achieved much of what you wanted to achieve at university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Have you achieved much of what you wanted to achieve at university? Are you meeting many of your own personal targets?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I haven't met as many as I would have liked but hope to sort that out next year

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started yet, but when I do, I hope to be doing well in my course, make some friends, have fun, go to the uni gym regularly and join a sports team

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well my main target when I started uni was just to get a degree and a good job and money, etc. I have just graduated and I might as well not have a degree. It couldn't be more useless, it won't get me anywhere. I wish I'd done something else. I'm looking at 'changing it' into something else now, hopefully in a year... however impossible that's going to be! But I guess I'm less shy now, have done loads of presentations and got a bit of confidence so that really is an achievement for me as I used to be the shyest person ever at school!

ReputationRep:
    My ambitions/targets since starting university are going downhill at breakneck speed :awesome:

PHD sums it up very well:

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Besides slightly underachieving in my grades, I quit Kayaking after one session, I only belonged to the History Society for a couple of weeks, I lost student rep in the second year, I spend an unhealthy amount of time on the xbox and TSR, the list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    Academically - no where near achieving my goals

Socially - getting there

Gotta fix this in the next couple of years. I'm gonna be a good person from now on. Don't get me wrong though, I've had a good time.

ReputationRep:
    Woah this is turning into quite a negative thread. Mind you, it's full of Brits, I've always found us as a nation to be pretty negative.

I'm at a bit of an advantage because I already know what I want to do without having started university yet...it's just getting there that's going to be the challenge.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't knew what I wanted to achieve at uni in the first place. I was very excited about A-levels and my results in it, but never really thought about uni exams and performance. Was just too busy being a snob and deciding on a uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Woah this is turning into quite a negative thread. Mind you, it's full of Brits, I've always found us as a nation to be pretty negative.

I'm at a bit of an advantage because I already know what I want to do without having started university yet...it's just getting there that's going to be the challenge.
    Ahhh don't listen to them.

Degrees aren't always useful but for most good jobs they're a pre-requisite anyway, problem is as their value has dropped the price has shot up... kinda perverse situation.

Anyway, I think university has been a good learning curve for me. I enjoy my subject (English Literature), on a 2:1 but aiming for a first. I've done stuff with the entertainment committee at my halls.. so that's a CV builder, edited my own little newsletter, and met a ******* of people. Third year next year.

The key is really to be as pro-active as you can, remember that degrees by themselves won't do jack.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.